4 days post hysterectomy: vaginal irritation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days post hysterectomy: vaginal irritation 4 days post hysterectomy: vaginal irritation

Unread 09-03-2016, 07:08 AM
4 days post hysterectomy: vaginal irritation

Had surgery four days ago, not much pain, but a lot more pain from a taxi ride home, one hour of bumpy roads and taxi not able to absorb bumps. Today pain is back to minimal, only drug I'm taking since coming home is Kerorolac.
I stayed overnight in hospital, have no memory from time wheeled into surgery room to next morning, at first had no clue where I was or why. Had total hyster with laproscopy and robotic, diagnosis uterine endometrial cancer. Won't know until next week what biopsy shoes and what stage cancer it was/is.
All the organs were removed thru vafina, and I'm hoping someone can comment on the vaginal irritation I'm been having since I came home. And wondering if the Kerorolac is actually responsible for the only minimal pain. I'd been told it was for inflammation and bacteria control, just read the directions that came with the drug and the drug description on MedScape.
I do have the Rx ibuprofen and Precet/Oxycodine, am hoping I don't have to resort to taking them, I'm very drug intolerant, am 76.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Re: 4 days post hysterectomy

- it sounds like you're doing well so far. During my overnight stay, I woke up around 12:30am, certain I had to use the restroom before my surgery and that it was midday - I was more than a bit confused ! Some women don't need that much help with pain management... I stayed the course with Percocet for a week, then prescription ibuprofen for another 1-1/2 weeks or so. You might be one of the blessed ones who does fine!

While I didn't experience vaginal irritation, I recall seeing threads from other Sisters mentioning swelling and other sensations. Some opted for a doctor's visit, and often it's nothing out of the ordinary healing process. However, a few Sisters reported that an infection was detected and were given antibiotics.

I'm hoping Sisters who've experienced this will respond. For peace of mind, why not give the doc's office a call? They'll know the right questions to ask to make a determination if you should get checked.

Unread 09-03-2016, 06:59 PM

Thanks. Am getting some relief from the vaginal irritation using a natural alkalizing product in the squirt bottle a nurse gave me to use with warm water when I urinate. It's actually a mouthwash and personal hygiene solution from Baar.com
Tonight I take the last Ketorolac tablet, so tomorrow will determine pain level. I'm also taking my usual 500 mg Tylenol, am hoping that's all I need, I'm struggling with drug related depression and other symptoms I normally don't deal with, or at least can find my way out of such feelings quickly. Thank you Cussette for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2016, 07:09 PM

Keterolac's an NSAID, like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve). So yes, it works against pain as well as being an anti-inflammatory. If you're doing fine on Keterolac and Tylenol, then you probably won't need the Percocet, which is a narcotic. If you start having pain after you run out of Keterolac, I'd suggest either filling the ibuprofen prescription (which is probably for 600 or 800 mg) or buying some OTC "extra strength" (400 mg) ibuprofen.

I had abdominal surgery with a three-day hospital stay. The first couple of days I was on Dilaudid, but after that I did fine on 400 mg ibuprofen. I took it regularly the first week, occasionally the second week. I also took 500 mg acetaminophen (Tylenol) before bed at night the first week, as I tended to run a bit of a fever at night.

NSAIDs and acetaminophen are metabolized differently, so you can mix them. However, don't mix different NSAIDs (for example, Keterolac and ibuprofen) together. Also don't mix the Tylenol with the Percocet, as Percocet also contains acetaminophen. It's a mixture of oxycodone and acetaminophen.
Unread 09-03-2016, 07:32 PM

Thanks, I do have the Rx ibuprofen with instruction to take at end of the Ketorolac. I have a heart condition so concerned to take too much NSAIDs. I already know from other surgery Percocet is a problem for me, but certainly if pain is severe I'll try, I've already cut in half the ibuprofen and Percocet just in case. I live alone and have mobility problem, use a walker, falls nag issue on drugs has been problem with last two major surgeries. Thanks for such a detailed description of these drugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register