Just back from 5 week appt and frustrated.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just back from 5 week appt and frustrated.. Just back from 5 week appt and frustrated..

Unread 07-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Just back from 5 week appt and frustrated..

Hello all.
I just got back from my 5 week check up with my doc and am so upset. The last thing he said to me when discharging me from the hospital was no hanky panky so I've been very good and went for my check up list in hand with a bunch of questions. This is how it turned out...
The nurse puts me in the exam room and tells me to undress, fine. He comes in and the first thing he asks me is have I had sex, I said no. He looked at my incision rather quickly and said good, have a nice summer..????? I said wait a minute I have a few questions, he told me to get dressed and come and see me in his office. As soon as he left I asked the nurse is this normal not to do an internal exam and what about all of my questions, then I started crying. This is not what I expected AT ALL. Anyways, she told me that yes it's normal not to have the exam if there aren't any problems, I told her that there have been problems and that's why I had a bunch of questions for him so she said she would come in with me and make sure he answered them. Anyways, to make a long story short (too late, sorry) he told me that he doesn't do an exam until you've had sex and even then only if I was bleeding would he do an exam and burn the spots???? My question to everyone is, "Is this normal?" I've been cleared for everything ie. swimming, baths, sex etc. Oh and he told me that if I do bleed after sex don't come back to see him until it's a regular thing? I've been having a very light almost salmon colour discharge, only when I wipe and he said that's normal too. Any advice?

TAH removed uterus/cervic kept ovaries: Pelvic congestion, fibroids and endometriosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2005, 10:00 AM

Springtime, I'm so sorry your doctor blew you off like that. I had my appointment yesterday, too, and had a totally different experience, even though I was the last patient of the day, and I had overheard that he had a meeting to get to. (I'll go into detail about the appointment if you like.) After the examination, my doctor told me to wait another week before starting to get back to more normal activity. I've been doing a fair bit already, but things like biking, etc. were what we discussed. No sex until then either.
Can you call your family doc? You'd probably get in a lot faster. Good luck!
Unread 07-07-2005, 11:20 AM

I would find another Dr.! He is insensitvie and should have done an internal exam. I just had my 5 weeks post op on Tuesday. My doctor asked me a bunch of questions, and he did a internal exam.
I am still spotting, so he cleared the blood with what looked like a big ole long Q-tip and checked my vaginal cuff. Said it look great but not healed all the way, and could still see sutures. He is having me come back in 2 weeks to re-examine the vaginal cuff before he gives me the green light on Sex and Swimming. Told me to abide by the rules so I wouldn't introduce bacteria into the vagina and end up with another infection. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2005, 11:26 AM

Springtime, I am also sorry that you had a bad experience with your doctor. I am barely 4 wks post op and have had to follow ups with my Dr. I have not been cleared for anything. I have my last post op appt on July 26th, and should get released for everything. It is your Dr.'s job to answer any questions you have. Call his office and speak to one of his nurses. Tell them you have a lot of concerns and questions. If they still blow you off I would go see your primary. I know that my Dr will do an exam at my last appt. But this is before I am released for sex. She said to make sure everything is healed properly. It's just crazy to think that they would allow sex before knowing if everything was healed. Just be careful doing your activities. Stop at any sign of pain or bleeding. My thoughts are with you.

Kathleen

Unread 07-07-2005, 09:19 PM

What a jerk--if he doesn't take the time for an internal exam, then he is either lazy or ignorant or both! Get another MD ASAP!
Unread 07-07-2005, 09:25 PM

I would find me a different doctor. My doctor did an internal at 5 1/2 weeks to make sure my vaginal cuff had healed before he ok'ed me for sex. How does he know if you have healed. I would go ahead and find another doctor. One who actually cares about his patients.
Unread 07-07-2005, 09:37 PM

How in the world would he know anything if he did not do an exam? I agree...find you another dr. I would be freaking out, not knowing if I had healed properly before having sex...not to mention resuming other things. You have had major surgery. This is not something that you should take lightly. I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. I honestly don't know what this world is coming to...find you another dr ASAP! Take care.
Unread 07-07-2005, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springtime38
Hello all.
I just got back from my 5 week check up with my doc and am so upset. The last thing he said to me when discharging me from the hospital was no hanky panky so I've been very good and went for my check up list in hand with a bunch of questions. This is how it turned out...
The nurse puts me in the exam room and tells me to undress, fine. He comes in and the first thing he asks me is have I had sex, I said no. He looked at my incision rather quickly and said good, have a nice summer..????? I said wait a minute I have a few questions, he told me to get dressed and come and see me in his office. As soon as he left I asked the nurse is this normal not to do an internal exam and what about all of my questions, then I started crying. This is not what I expected AT ALL. Anyways, she told me that yes it's normal not to have the exam if there aren't any problems, I told her that there have been problems and that's why I had a bunch of questions for him so she said she would come in with me and make sure he answered them. Anyways, to make a long story short (too late, sorry) he told me that he doesn't do an exam until you've had sex and even then only if I was bleeding would he do an exam and burn the spots???? My question to everyone is, "Is this normal?" I've been cleared for everything ie. swimming, baths, sex etc. Oh and he told me that if I do bleed after sex don't come back to see him until it's a regular thing? I've been having a very light almost salmon colour discharge, only when I wipe and he said that's normal too. Any advice?

TAH removed uterus/cervic kept ovaries: Pelvic congestion, fibroids and endometriosis.
Hello,
I'm sorry for your dr's behaviour. I had a TAH on June 30, 2005 & was told, no sex, swimming, bathing until 6 weeks post and after an internal, to make sure all went well. I have also spoken with a couple of girl freinds adn the same - wait on sex specifically - till post internal. Do you have a family Dr. that you can go to and have an interanal done and have your questions answered?
As for you - do you have any friends for support - lean on your husband as much as you can and see if he can come to the next appt with you. That might help YOU emotionally.

Good luck - Oura
Unread 07-07-2005, 10:01 PM

I know exactlly where you are coming from. My almost 6 week check sounds just like yours! I had mine 2 weeks ago tomorrow and I didn't know weither to beat the crap out of something or cry. It was terrible, he totally blew me off didn't examine me and didn't answer any of my questions.
Kat
Unread 07-07-2005, 11:04 PM

I would suggest a woman doc. I have a woman GP and GYN and they are wonderful about asking and answering my questions. I'd only see a male doctor as a last resort. I figure, they don't have the same equiptment as me, so how do they know what it's like to be a woman.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register