Should I feel guilty? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I feel guilty? Should I feel guilty?

Unread 12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Should I feel guilty?

Hi, the first question I have is this: Do I start my post op from the time I am released from the hospital or from the time I had my surgery????
My 2nd question is this:
It has been almost 6 weeks since my surgery, I over did it a few times during the 3rd week trying to be my old self and my husband and Dr. got after me for it. My girlfriend at work has told me to "milk it" as long as I can. Sometimes I feel real good and sometimes just ok so I'm wondering if I should just continue "milking it" or should I start getting back in the swing of things???? or will this cause everyone to think that I am back to my old self and they will expect me to do everything (I do mean everything) again??????
My Dr. has given me 8 weeks of disability due to complications (hematoma and severe anemia - my hemoglobin went down to 6) I'm still adjusting to my mood swings even though I still have one ovary left, I'm still battling with insomnia, I still get owies inside me, I still have terrible gas, I still have trouble when I have to tinkle (now it's only the pain towards the end of tinkling) and I still can't fit into my normal jeans (even though my weight is back to normal)....Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Peace, love and wishes of happiness to all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Should I feel guilty?

If your doc gave you 8wks disability - milk that for all it's worth! Even after the fact, you're still going to be healing. You just had a major surgery!! Some gals recover much faster than others, so I would say it would all depend on how you're actually feeling and not just what you're telling people (white lie?) if you take it any farther. Be honest with them. If you can't do something, then don't.
Unread 12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Should I feel guilty?

I battle the guilt too. There are times when I almost feel completely normal and think "hey should I try to go back to work now." Then there will be times when I apparently will have done too much and end up with pain in my lower right side and think "oh I glad I'm not at work yet." I'm suprised at how normal I feel most of the time 3.5 weeks post op.

I have done some of the things on the "don't" list such as vacuum, but we have hardwood floors so its not really much pushing or pulling. I put the Christmas tree up just a few minutes ago, but now too pooped to decorate. I'll save that for another time.

I say no to feeling guilty and remember you are not "milking" it, you are recovering. Even though we don't have wounds that the outside world can see, we are healing a little bit every day.

Listen to your dr. and your own body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Should I feel guilty?

I am at 4 weeks post op, and I can't believe how quickly I can swing from being ok to being so tired. I had to give up half way through decorating the tree with the family on Sunday when I was hardly doing anything!!! i was so shocked, and some days I still need a nap. I am begining to feel really fed up with myself- i feel i should be in more control although I know I can't be. Felt better today when i was told by physio that the average time for internal healing (whatever type of hyst) is 12 weeks, and it's normal to feel tired etc all this time. You have to listen to your own body.
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Should I feel guilty?

[quote=Marsh2005] Even though we don't have wounds that the outside world can see, we are healing a little bit every day. QUOTE]

Thank you so much for those words!!!! You are so right !!!
I really needed to hear that!!!
Thank you
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Should I feel guilty?

You're not milking anything. It takes this long to heal internally and you want to make sure you heal properly.
I am not feeling guilty about not returning to work or my regular routine yet and I doubt I ever will. I would like to think that I know better than my co-workers or boss what is best for this body, not to mention the emotional and hormonal ups and downs that come with this surgery.

Take your time, heal right and 'whatever' to those trying to make you feel guilty.

Autumn
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Should I feel guilty?

I'm feeling less and less guilty the more I read...."boo ya" to those who just don't get it - like my boss and co-workers!!!! Man I'm feeling better already - Thanks!!!
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Should I feel guilty?

I agree with the Sisters! Take your own time to heal...you only have one chance....noone else can do this for you.
And besides....YOU are the Princess!!!
(Now I need to do the same! lol)
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Should I feel guilty?

I must admit that I caved when it comes to going back to work. My doctor said 1/3/06, but I have already committed to going back on 12/27/05. I have an appointment with my dr. on Thursday and I will confirm with him that this is ok. My boss will be on vacation for the two weeks after Christmas so I thought that would be a good time to ease back into things. They are both short weeks due to the holidays and I only plan to work part time. Do you think that I am making a mistake?

I feel pretty good most of the time. I know when I have done too much and must admit that I do tire easily at times. Most times my energy level is good. (probably because I am usually sound asleep by 9pm!)
At my last visit my dr. said that I could slowly begin to resume my normal activities. So I am trying! I get so bored sometimes though!!! UGH!!

I don't feel guilty about the time that I have taken and I will continue to "take it easy" until I feel that I am completely healed. I have heard some ladies on this board say that it took them 6 months to feel back to normal. If that is the case then I will "milk it" at work and at home too!

Please don't feel guilty and allow yourself to heal properly!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register