still sore 3 weeks post hysterectomy - is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

still sore 3 weeks post hysterectomy - is this normal? still sore 3 weeks post hysterectomy - is this normal?

Unread 12-05-2016, 05:50 AM
still sore 3 weeks post hysterectomy - is this normal?

Hi Hyster Sisters,
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my surgery- and I am still achy and sore.
I had a laproscopic hysterectomy on 11/15, with my uterus, Fallopian tubes and top of cervix removed through belly. I was trying to leave my cervix - but the top part had to be removed as it was adhered to my uterus (also my bladder). Had difficulty peeing after surgery and ended up in the ER 5 days later with a bladder infection. They did a CT scan at that time and found a Seroma(s)? I was told this was not uncommon, and should resolve on its own...
I am able to get around fine - and have resumed most of my normal activities except for driving and heavy lifting (and going back to work). I still have to take pain meds (3-4 and half at a time ) throughout the day and can definitely feel it if I do too much. I do a little - and then have to lay down with my heating pad.
My follow up appointment is today. I will ask my doctor about this - but thought I would check in to see if it is "normal" to still have some pain and discomfort 3 weeks post-op...
Thank you!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Re: still sore 3 weeks post op - is this normal?

It is absolutely normal. I still have some soreness and even the occasional pain when I overdo and I'm 7 months out from my TAH.
Unread 12-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Re: still sore 3 weeks post op - is this normal?

Definitely in the range of normal. At 3 weeks you're still fairly early in recovery. When you have pains from doing something, it's your body's way of telling you to pull back. Doctors release us between 4-8 weeks because they have no further follow up, but healing continues for 4-6 months, maybe longer. That's why we're told to resume activities gradually. A good guideline on what still might be pushing it at your stage is here at Hysterectomy Restrictions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Re: still sore 3 weeks post hysterectomy - is this normal?

I actually don't think it's normal to be reaching for prescription pain meds 3 weeks post op. I also don't think you SHOULD be back to your normal activities (pushing, pulling, vacuuming, sweeping are still nos) with the exception of lifting and driving.

I think you need to re-evaluate if you are resting enough, as well as put a phone call into your doctor to let him know you are still reaching for prescription pain meds.
Unread 12-05-2016, 01:39 PM
still sore 3 weeks post hysterectomy - is this normal?

Hi - I saw my doctor this afternoon for follow up appointment. He said that I am healing well - but that there was more involved with removal of my uterus as it had adhered to my bladder, top of cervix and rectum. I developed something called a internal seroma which seems to have gotten smaller and should resolve on its own ... My pathology report confirmed the adenomyosis - and that my uterus was 2 x's size of normal uterus.
He said that I should rest more this week ...ans did not seem concerned that I still need some help with pain. He refilled my prescriptions for another week I am also taking 800 mg ibuprofen - and 1/2 a Percocet 2-3 times per day.
I will rest more this week and hope that my pain (more of a soreness / discomfort - like I'm bruised on the inside) will get better soon. I am scheduled to return to seem at 4 weeks - which will be next Tuesday
Thank you so much for your responses !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register