Telecommuting after TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Telecommuting after TAH Telecommuting after TAH

Unread 12-31-2004, 11:10 PM
Telecommuting after TAH

My pre-op appoint is set with my primary care. My pre-op with the anesthesiologist is set; hospital called on Thursday. My surgery is scheduled to be performed in 17 days. Let's see only a few more appraisals to write, 1 presentation to prepare, and 3 project plans to review. Futon is ordered so I should be comfortable downstairs. Purchased a two headset phone system today to ensure at least one is always charged. Started a list of tasks that need to be completed at home before surgery. Pretty much know which friends and relatives that will come thorough on their promises and commitments and who will not. Purchased loungewear for my recuperation. Beginning to accept the fact I will be housebound for 6 to 8 weeks. Accepting fact the activities at work can AND will continue without me. I have not taken 2 straight weeks off in over 10 years !!

Yes, I do plan to telecommute when I can sit up comfortable, or else, I will go stir crazy if I stayed away from my work activities for 8 weeks. I am a workaholic! Who else works on appraisals on New Year's eve.

When do you think I should be able to telecommute (part-time); 2, 3 or 4 weeks?

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YOU ALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Telecommuting after TAH

Yes, I think you will be able to do some work - but you will have to be careful about NOT sitting too much. staying sitting up a lot the first couple of weeks hurts and tires you out. You'll have to be careful to pace yourself, get up frequently, walk a bit and lie down too. You probably won't want to spend more than 20 minutes at a time at the computer for a couple of weeks.

good luck!
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Telecommuting after TAH

sweetypie,

Unfortunately, as with most things, the answer is "it all depends". I started checking in with work and answering e-mail the second day I got home. I've got my laptop on a little table in front of one arm of the couch and find it quite comfortable to lean on the arm of the couch with my feet tucked up beside me. It's not quite sitting up, but not quite lying down either. (Think "chaise longue".) I personally find I can sit in this position for a long time without ill-effect, until the arm I'm leaning on gets tired. I find that sitting up straight with my feet on the floor is a lot more tiring. However, I can imagine that many sisters would not be able to sit this way.

I told my boss and the folks that are covering for me that although I was "off-duty", they could send me important questions. I got very few, but it made me feel better. I pestered them with more questions than they sent me, to find out what was going on. Keeping up with e-mail will make it easier to start back as well.

I went into the office for a couple of hours on Wednesday, as a test drive, and did okay. (Of course, because of Christmas, there were very few people in.) I kept my feet up most of the time, which really seems to help. Officially, I start working at home on Monday (4.5 weeks post) but I'm going to try working half days in the office and half at home instead. Some things are just hard to do from home (like appraisal discussions ).

BTW, I felt very guilty being home for the first 2 weeks, because I felt so good. Now that I am 4 weeks out, and still getting exhausted after relatively short trips out, I realize that I was being silly, and wish I had kept my mouth shut. I'd be in bad shape if my boss had taken me seriously. So my tip here is that there is not necessarily any correlation between comfort and stamina. The body is still healing even when you are not in obvious pain and discomfort. (Very frustrating!)

In conclusion, I think you will have to wait and see. I would suggest that you set expectations low and then adjust later.

Good luck!

Catalina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Telecommuting after TAH

Sweetypie-
I didn't feel up to doing anything but taking short walks until 3 or 4 days after my surgery(12/21). I only sit at my computer for 20 to 30 minutes at a time when I do (maybe 3 X a day). I had a laptop in the bed and that worked for a day then it was boring.
See how you feel and go for it BUT don't do too much to fast.
Happy Healing
Blizzak
Unread 01-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Telecommuting after TAH

I started doing some work on week two, but the quality of it was less than fabulous. Pain meds and projects that need clear thinking don't mix.

However, in weeks 3-6 is was easier. I just put a pillow on my tummy, put the lap top on top and lounged in the recliner. I don't think I could have done it if I had to sit up to a desktop computer. I did experience eye strain, though. I guess the angle was not the best for my eyes, but it was the only way I could have spent so much time on the computer.

If you do choose to telecommute, remember that you won't always be up to being online at specific times. As long as you work on projects that can be done on your time, it'll probably be ok.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register