Prolapse symptoms - has anyone experienced this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapse symptoms - has anyone experienced this? Prolapse symptoms - has anyone experienced this?

Unread 09-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Prolapse symptoms - has anyone experienced this?

Dear Sisters:

Has anyone out there been diagnosed with a uterine prolapse, a slight enterocele and rectocele, suffered from constipation and/or irregular bowel movements and was cured by having a vaginal hysterectomy with vaginal wall repair? The reason I ask is because I am not overly bothered by any problems caused by the prolapsed uterus and enterocele (only minor stress incontinence) but feel my life is greatly affected by constipation and irregular bowel movements. My OB/GYN seemed to pooh-pooh the idea that the prolapsed uterus is causing these bowel problems...but no one can seem to figure out what else could be causing it. Therefore, I can only assume the rectocele is the culprit.

However, that slight doubt has me worried about my decision to proceed with the hysterectomy. If it would solve the bowel problem, it would be well worth it. If not, then I feel that I would have suffered for nothing.

Of course the doctors can guarantee nothing. Therefore, I turn to my sisters for they're experience and wisdom. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Hi

My hyst wasn't for prolapse as you mentioned, but I did develop a 3rd degree rectocele afterwards which required surgical correction. The rectocele did cause problems going to the bathroom. Here's a good link that explains Pelvic Organ Prolapse. If you look at the pictures there, you can see how the rectum pushes in to the vagina via a weakening in the wall separating the two. When trying to have a BM, stool will follow the path of least resistance and it can push toward the weakening pouch in the wall rather than out the body like it should be. (Sorry if TMI). Correcting the vaginal wall might help the processes of elimination 'if' that's what is causing your problem.

It's my understanding that an enterocele involves small intestine bulge into the vagina-- and stool is more liquid in the small intestine, so it might not cause constipation like the rectocele - but I am not sure.
As you know, many things can cause bowel probems and it can be difficult to pinpoint causes, but perhaps some additional opinions would help you. If I were in your shoes I would want additional GYN opinions and probably that of a gastroenterologist too, maybe.

Would you be a candidate for a pessary? If not for long term use, then maybe for a trial to see if that helps with elimination if things are held in a better position. Might be something worth asking about.

Pelvic prolapse issues are frustrating, and what to do about them is usually a personal decision. What bothers one person may not seem an issue to another. I hope you find the answers as to whether surgery would benefit you or not, and if not... then the answer as to what will, so you can feel better again.

Please keep us posted. We'll be here for you.
s,
Beth
Unread 09-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Thank you for responding, Beth. To answer a couple of your questions/suggestions...I did try a pessary and the problem with that is (my GYN told me) it will do nothing for a rectocele. As a matter of fact, it caused another problem because it would almost come out every time I had to bear down (which was almost every time I went to the bathroom). I did see a GI but after all the terrible tests that go with that, the doctor thought it might be due to my prolapse because nothing else was found (although she was only assuming).

You were right when you said it was frustrating. Going from doctor to doctor hasn't seemed to help, but I am seeing a urogynecologist for the first time in a couple of weeks. Maybe she will shed new light. In the meantime, I was hoping to get some firsthand experience stories.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2006, 06:56 PM

Hello again

You poor thing, you have been through a lot already. Thanks for sharing your info, I wondered if a pessary would stay in during a B.M. Many women have to "splint" the back wall of the vagina with a finger to assist with elimination...< not something I felt I could put up with. I knew there was no way mine would/could get better without surgery.

The recovery from my posterior repair was worse than the recovery from my hyst. Everyone is different tho, and my repair was pretty extensive. Even so, I'm glad I had it corrected. I was on stool softeners for several months after my surgery, which really helped too.

I think seeing a urogynecologist is an excellent idea. Let us know how it goes.

s again,
Beth
Unread 09-08-2006, 08:26 PM

Gustine,
I developed a rectocele after the birth of my second daughter 14 years ago. I'd put up with it for all those years because I just couldn't see taking the time off for the surgery when I could live with it most of the time. Last spring I developed a uterine prolapse. I was extremely unhappy with this and felt so uncomfortable (probably more emotionally, than physically) about it. After a lot of soul searching, my doctor and I decided to do the hysterectomy and correct the rectocele. When my doctor did the surgery, he found all kinds of problems (fibroid, cysts, endo) that I didn't even know that I had. It makes sense now, I just didn't realize that what I had been feeling and the how heavy my periods had been wasn't "normal."
So I guess, I'm saying that the surgery was obviously the best option for me. I didn't find the recto repair that bad and I'm delighted to not have that prolapse anymore.
Unread 09-09-2006, 04:49 PM

Thank you both so much for sharing your experiences. It sure makes me feel better to "talk" to others who have experienced the same thing. I'm sorry you both had to go through so much but it sounds like your surgery helped in both cases.

I will let you know what happens when I visit the urogyn. I am hoping for more understanding and advice from her than I felt I got from the ob/gyn I was going to. I thought women doctors would be more understanding than men, but from what I've read and now experienced, I guess that's no guarantee.

Thanks again sisters!
Unread 09-10-2006, 04:36 AM

I too had all kinds of prolapse issues and had surgery to repair the problems. I have no regrets and feel alot better. I do still have problems sometimes with b.m.'s I have always had a sluggish bowel. I still use stool softners sometimes the doctor said it would be fine. There is a web site just for people with prolapse : www.prolapse.hyperboards.com Check it out, it's a very good site and all the women on that site have prolapse issues. I wish you luck in what ever you decide.
Unread 09-10-2006, 02:25 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience, J.D. That makes me feel much better that surgery helped you. I tried to check out the web site you mentioned, but it said no such page existed...maybe it no longer exists? If you find a new address for them, I'd be interested. Thanks again!
Unread 09-10-2006, 07:50 PM

I too tried the web site and it did not work.
I had a TVH BSO A&P repair. I had a prolapse uterus. I also had trouble with my bowels. Every time I peeded I had a little bowel movement. Then after wards my underware got stained with BM mess, no matter how clean I wiped. After surgery this problem is gone. I just read though that after a retocel repair you have pain during sex. I am only 9 weeks Post Op so I have not had sex yet.. I hope it does not hurt. I am also going to call my doctor on Monday to see if I can take a stool soften everyday. Yesterday I had a BM that hurt - I hope I did not hurt my repair. I didn't stress on it but it hurt.
Good luck with your decession. I am glad I had mine done.
Unread 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM

I am having TAH/BSO with A&P repairs and lots of tacking for multiple proplapses, including rectocele. Contrary to your experience, I tend to have chronic diarrhea as a result of gallbladder surgery some years ago (overproduction of bile). I do believe that some of the pressure that I feel to go comes from the rectocele and that the hysterectomy should relieve this. Like you, I do suffer from stress incontinence which is going to be addressed by a Burch colposuspension during the hysterectomy. This should definitely help with the incontinence issues. Good luck with your decisions

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register