13 days post op and finally feeling better, BUT.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

13 days post op and finally feeling better, BUT.... 13 days post op and finally feeling better, BUT....

Unread 06-09-2009, 09:20 AM
13 days post op and finally feeling better, BUT....

I had a total lap hysterectomy with BSO on May 27th. I felt better after surgery than I thought possible and went home after 23 hours. I spiked a 102.0 temp 5 days post op and was readmitted for 23 hour obs with a million tests, all okay and sent home. Before the fever I felt like I was doing great, after the hospital release, I felt despondant. Like nothing was ever going to be the same again- very dramatic. Now I am feeling much better and will be 2 weeks post op tomorrow. My question- and believe me, I'm not trying to get extra couch time, I'm really sick of not doing much- do you think I should give myself an extra week of "time off" since I had a set back? I did cook dinner (very simple) and walked around more on Sunday and started having some bright red vaginal discharge so I took that as a sign to back off. Opinions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Re: 13 days post op and finally feeling better, BUT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynurse View Post
I had a total lap hysterectomy with BSO on May 27th. I felt better after surgery than I thought possible and went home after 23 hours. <snip> My question- and believe me, I'm not trying to get extra couch time, I'm really sick of not doing much- do you think I should give myself an extra week of "time off" since I had a set back? I did cook dinner (very simple) and walked around more on Sunday and started having some bright red vaginal discharge so I took that as a sign to back off. Opinions????
Hi Heynurse!

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but I say this lovingly to you with a big -- haven't you answered your own question?

If you think you might need to give yourself an extra week, might it be wise to do so? I had a very easy surgery, May 26, and I'm still doing a lot of nothing. Email, reading, short walks, naps, a little bit of paperwork. And more naps.

I've read way too many stories of women overdoing it. I'd rather be a little fidgety and bored but healing properly! I read a story elsewhere that I believe is a good reminder for those of us considering doing too much, too soon:

"Any sudden increase in intraabdominal pressure can tear stitches and cause a hernia in the incision or surgical site. As you do more activity you run the risk of perhaps accidentally causing a sudden increase. For example if you carry even light grocery bags and the bag ripped, you might suddenly try to keep the contents from falling and abdominally strain. It could be vacuuming and knocking a vase off a "trying to save it".

This reiterates what I've been telling people--how I could do so much more, but unless I really define certain fairly "predictable" low-risk things to do (like dishes, cleaning the toilets), it would be so easy to mess up and do more than I should. Like, I'm thinking I can dust and dry mop now, but I don't want to risk wet mopping because of the resistance involved and the chances that I would forget and push too hard.

Even when I feel good, I walk slowly/carefully because I know that if I trip/fall, I could hurt myself badly. The risk of it happening is small, but the outcome could be really bad.

Please listen to your body and/or ask your about what's best for you. A few more days of taking it easy now likely has a huge payoff later down the road.

Wishing you the best recovery!

:timeup:
Unread 06-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks Marisela, and I guess I did answer my own question ;-) I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm not being a baby (Hey, I'm a big tough nurse for goodness sake). On this website people seem more reasonable than the folks around me, not my family who is very supportive, but co workers who were out shopping 5 days post op, etc. Thanks again. Think I'll take a nap ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Hi Heynurse, I had TAH 26.05.09 and have had a few setbacks but have done nothing more strenouus than put computer on! Yes, it is boring but the pain and probs that may arise if I do a bit more scare me to death!
Unread 06-09-2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks Beelvue. Sorry you have had setbacks! There is just something in my personality that if I don't feel absolutely terrible, I feel like I should be DOING something. I have to fight that urge or I will never heal properly. So, another week of nothing but lying around with the occasional short walk it is!
Unread 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynurse View Post
Thanks Marisela, and I guess I did answer my own question ;-) I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm not being a baby (Hey, I'm a big tough nurse for goodness sake). On this website people seem more reasonable than the folks around me, not my family who is very supportive, but co workers who were out shopping 5 days post op, etc. Thanks again. Think I'll take a nap ;-)
A nurse told me that nurses make the worst patients...

I certainly COULD have gone out shopping 5 days post-op. In fact, my first outing was 4 days post-op. But we are talking about going to the library and the little store about a half mile away, and I picked up nothing, pushed nothing, opened no doors...asked DH to do everything. It was just an excuse to take a shower, get dressed, get out, and lift my spirits. And it worked.

I think some people like to prove how strong and self-sufficient they are. Certainly, I fought against my body when I was very anemic and exhausted...but surgery is of course an entirely different story and there's just absolutely no reason to take risks you don't need to, right? I'd rather be a healthy "baby" than tough & hurting. I figure that the people who really care, will understand or at least support my wishes to take care of myself.

Sleep well & heal wonderfully!
Unread 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM

I feel bad lying about but my hubby has excelled himself doing all the jobs including changing my smelly dressings, dressing me at first, lifting me off the bed and back and today has taken off my nail varnish from my toes!He is realising that you have to multi task with your brain not just physically so I am watching him learn!!! I do appreciate it though, I would have been lost and desperate if he wasn't such a good one! He is now doing curry for tea and it smells lovely!
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Well, I guess I need to back off than. LOL I had a total AB Hysto on May 28th and have gone stir crazy. I finally went out of the house one week after my surgery but since than hubby can't keep my butt on the couch. Well today I decided I felt well enough to walk the quarter mile to the store. I just wanted to browse. Well, I got there and than had to call for a ride home and now I am bleeding. So, I think I over did it. Time for me to put my butt back in front of the pc and relaxe.

Listen to your body. Like I told everyone who NEVER had a hysto and they were telling me how long I hould take to recoup. When they go and have it done than we can discuss war stories and than everyone heals and deals with pain different. NOONE has the exact same surgery and NOONE experiences the exact same thing as someone else. It may be similar but not the same.

So rest and take it easy.

Karen
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, Karen and yes, if you started bleeding too, you probably need to back it up a notch. You are right, I'm not sure why everyone has an opinion they feel they need to voice when they've never had ANY surgery, especially this one. Ugh, just so sick of only being at home, doctor's office and hospital. I'm sure I won't literally die if I hang out at home one more week though :-)
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM

I am 3 weeks post op LAVH and am struggling with taking it easy too, but am constantly reminded that I am hurting myself if I push it. I worked today for 4 hours and came home and crashed. We have to be our own advocate and take care of ourselves. No one else will do it! I guess being lazy and recovering will pay off in the end rather than pushing and taking twice as long to heal.

Best wishes to you in your recovery. Know you are not alone - many hyster sisters in the same boat!

Pollywog
LAVH, bladder repair, kept one ovary May 18,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register