LAVH - 2 wks post op - what to expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH - 2 wks post op - what to expect? LAVH - 2 wks post op - what to expect?

Unread 06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
LAVH - 2 wks post op - what to expect?

LAVH - 2 weeks post op

How much sitting and walking is too much.

Should bleeding be tapering off by now? How long does it usually last?

I've been doing a few little things in the kitchen - like wiping off the counters, washing my lunch dish, etc. Is that too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2006, 10:36 PM

I didn't have a LAVH and we are all different, so my recovery wasn't the same as yours. I don't think there's a definite answer for how much walking and sitting is too much. Following your doctor's instructions and listening to your body are the best indicators. If I sat too long, I would get sore. If I walked too much, I would get sore.

Bleeding/discharge can sometimes last up to 6 weeks. Some women bleed/discharge longer and some have none at all. It really varies woman to woman. If you have bright red blood or changing a pad every hour, you need to see your doctor.

As for small tasks like wiping counters or washing a dish, it doesn't seem like a lot, but you are very early in your recovery. Has your doctor released you to do any type of household tasks? If just wiping counters as you pass by and washing a dish are all that you're doing, you may be ok but it's best to follow your doctor's guidance.

If you are unsure if you are doing too much, give your doctor a call and find out. The main thing you need to do is take care of yourself and allow yourself time to heal. You only have this one chance to recover, so you should do what you can to do it right.

You might find these articles helpful:

Help - Allowed? Not Allowed?
Help - Too Much Too Soon

If you would like to read more Post-Op Articles, you can find them by clicking on the tab at the top of the page.

Take care of yourself and I hope you have a smooth recovery!

s, Deb
Unread 06-10-2006, 09:00 AM

Thank you for the information.

My doctor really didn't give me specific instructions. She just said to take it easy and lounge around and walk slowly. She didn't say how much to walk or what not to do. Also said no lifting more than 10-15 lbs and no driving for a few weeks.

I want to be careful but I also don't want to lie around too much. It is difficult to know but I guess I'll just do what i feel like doing but within reason.

I've walked about a block and back but that's all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2006, 11:00 AM

You had you surgery a few days before me, but I have been trusting my body to tell when enough is enough. I know that when I start to feel weak in the legs or a little light-headed that it is time to head to the bdrm to lay down and rest for awhile. My doctor wasn't very specific either. So I just take it one day at a time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register