Keep the ovaries or not-soooo confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep the ovaries or not-soooo confused Keep the ovaries or not-soooo confused

Unread 01-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Keep the ovaries or not-soooo confused

I have read posts on this site asking this questions, and read articles here and on many other sites, (some quote the Hystersister's articles), but I am still confused.

I am scheduled for a LAVH and slings to support my fallen bladder and urethra (the bladder problems are horrendous) and the reason I finally went to the doctor. I have been told for about 6 years that my uterus and bladder were falling but they weren't that bad yet, they got way about Thanksgiving, and my surgery is scheduled in 22 days.

Here is my dilemma. My GYN wants to take out my ovaries. I am 50, have been on the pill for years because of abnormal bleeding so we don't know how far along I am in menopause. On my 51st b'day the doctor wanted to take me off the pill and check my hormone levels. I can say that I have suffered depression (lexapro is a god send) insomnia, night sweats, and hot flushes. so we both believe that I am well under the influences of menopause, this is why he said to take out the ovaries, they are already not functioning.

What if he is wrong? Do the benefits of added hormones naturally outweight the benefits of HRT? I will take HRT if needed.

Anyone else facing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2007, 09:49 AM

I have the same question - but for a different reason. I have multiple cysts on my ovaries and also suffer from horrendous migraines (like most of the time.) The headaches are not under complete control during the best of times and since all of my problems with my period have increased (fibroids, heaving bleeding and clots) - I have had an almost constant headache. Although removal of the ovaries is not an approved method of treating migraines (although natural menopause is) - my Dr. has had pretty good luck in the past tweaking the HRT levels to just where they manage the symptoms (of menopause) but don't cause the headaches to flair up. I vary from having complete faith in him to worrying that the migraines might get worse (although this has never happened to a patient of his.)

I guess you (and I) will have to try to make an informed decision and hope for the best.

Good Luck!

Kris
Unread 01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh we are in the same boat sort of!

Hi Kris,

Thanks for your kind reply. I see that we are having the procedure with a time difference. I wish I had your date!

I have not had fibroids or headaches as severe as yours but I do get menstrual related migraines. I feel for you if yours are constant. I will send a prayer out for you that this procedure will help with all your symptoms...I tend to believe what the doctors tell me when (according to my husband) they have no "pony" in the race. If he has had success doing this before, I would say go for it!

I will probably have my DR take mine ovaries as he said that the benefits outweigh the side effects for me. But it is still scary.

Best of luck to you.

Renee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks Renee, I'll be praying for you on the 29th as well.

Kris
Unread 01-07-2007, 11:12 AM

I think you should do some more research before making a final decision. The ovaries continue to excreet protective hormones after menopause right into your 70's and 80's. Removing your ovaries may solve some of your problems but may introduce new ones. e.g. after removal of your ovaries your risk of developing heart disease goes up 300%.

You need to look at the big picture, not just gyney problems and then make a fully informd decision. I think gynecologists often have a blinkered view. After all if they remove all your gyney related organs it is not their problem if you develop heart disease or osteoporosis.
Unread 01-07-2007, 01:08 PM

Hi Rgterp78,

I am almost 3 yrs post-op and I kept my ovaries. I am 49 now and I am still very pleased with my decision.

I agree with the argument Giskard made. There are newer studies showing that the ovaries secrete important hormones well into menopause and I have heard the same information that Giskard mentioned about the risk of heart disease increasing if the ovaries are removed. Not to scare you...and just something to look at.

Ovarian cancer occurs in 5% or less of women. Also, a higher percentage of ladies with cysts and/or endo in pre-op can have post-op ovary removal. If you have neither, another reason to possibly keep your ovaries.

If you do decide to remove your ovaries, check out the Hormone Jungle area - HRT-NO HRT forums on Hyster Sisters for more info. on surgical menopause.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 01-08-2007, 04:30 PM

I got a second opinion today, and was told again that age 51, well into perimenopause that the ovaries should go, especially since I tend to get cysts.

I feel better about the decision to let them go.
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:20 AM

Hi Rgterp, Just wanted to throw my two cents into the mix. I also suffer from ovarian cysts but decided to keep one ovary. I read the book "Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal & Hormone Replacement" (mind you, I read everything there is to know about female production organs) and that made me realize how useful the ovaries are and that they do not shut down upon menopause.
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:43 AM

I was going to keep my ovaries, but after a long discussion with my doctor and due to ovarian cancer in my family (mother, 2 grandmothers, aunt and 2 cousins) we've decided it's in my best interest to go ahead and remove everything. I do dread the instant menopause, but I'm sure we'll get thru it.
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:46 AM

Wickedwoman,

Although I am normally a strong advocate for keeping your ovaries, I think I would have them removed if I were in your position.

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register