What do I need to bring to the hospital? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do I need to bring to the hospital? What do I need to bring to the hospital?

Unread 05-31-2008, 10:58 AM
What do I need to bring to the hospital?

Chapstick~~deoderant~~lotion~~wipes for my face and my hands these were wonderful since I ended up not being able to use the sink (believe it or not it was behind my roommates curtain)~~magazines~~a book~~my Ipod really came in hand, there was an older lady on the surgery ward that yelled and cried all night~~trail mix yummers that was one of the best things I brought~~my own pillow~~a small throw I call it my booboo blankie~~two nighties I did not plan on wearing but as soon as they unhooked all by things the next day I jumped into one it felt great I wore the other one home the last day~~slippers~~I do not wear robes I took a light weight soft sweater~~tooth~brush tooth paste~hair brush hair clippies~a lip gloss oh and a bath body hair wash combo in case they let you shower. It may sound like alot but it was all small stuff it all fit in a small over night bag of course I had a larger canvas bag for my pillow. I really used everything. I in the end it made me feel good to have my own stuff and be able to fluff myself up~~I just relaxed and enjoyed the tv and rest.

Oh I had all the same suregery as you

People told me it was a piece of cake to have it I did not feel that way but it was all doable and I just relaxed and went with the flow~~see you on the other side~~~LOL~~ don't let that scare you it means over at the post hyster forum I could not figure it out at first when gals wrote that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2008, 11:05 AM

For at home;

A little table set up near your bed or sofa (whereever you will rest) with;
Phone and phone book
Basket for meds and ear plugs and notebook to note times when meds taken
Lamp
Glasses
Kleenex
Waterbottle
TV convertor
Heating pad
Anything you may need close to you.

My hubby rented me an over the bed hospital table for $25.00 a month which has been a godsend!

Foods that are healthy and perhaps a cooler near your rest area when you are alone to get a snack or drink easily.

I have a cleaning lady (that is my treat to myself as I wear a uniform to work and don't spend much on myself) so I had her come in more often as I am a control freak and hate the house messy. This gave me peace so I could rest. Not what is important to everyone but it really made a differnce to me.

Now my recovery was not as planned as I was taken back into hospital at the 3 week mark with a Deep Vein Thrombosis and I stayed for 9 days. Now I am on bedrest and cannot go outside the house unless in a wheelchair for at least 4 weeks.

My daughter's laptop has been such a gift as I use it while I am in bed.

Hope this helps even a little!

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 05-31-2008, 12:35 PM

before surgery: buy one size bigger undies, comfortable pj's, stool softener (I used Colace), yogurts, fruits, prune juice( all this to avoid constipation), juices, comfortable pillows of all sizes, put all you can with in reach, so as to not to be bending which you cant.

to take to hospital; small pillow for the ride home (helps with the bumps and seatbelt), chapsticks, toothbrush, toothpaste, comfortable clothes to leave the hospital with (I left with a nightgown and robe on top with slippers)

for the home after surgery; put all medicines, tv controls, pads, etc with in reach, as to not to bend..confy seat like a recliner, someone to be with you at least the first few days...

I pray for you surgery to be smooth, for God to bless you and the doctors/nurses that will be attending to you...peace for your family members who will be awaiting your return....

see you on the other side

this "waiting" is really the worst part....monday it will all be over and the start of a great, blessed, painfree recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2008, 01:00 PM

id get a grabber to grab things. You'de be suprised how many things fall and you need them and dont wanna bend over. That was the worst. i have a nightstand and i still dropped stuff........
Unread 05-31-2008, 03:02 PM

i took chapstick (actually the roll on blistex moisture kind) some magazines/books, lotion, toothpaste/brush, and a little cash (didnt need).
Had DH bring me extra drinks before he left for the night.
Best of luck!
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrarose

Anyway, what do I need to take with me to the hospital? I saw people recommended chapstick.
I seem to be the odd person out on this one. I have never used chapstick, not once. I didn't find that my mouth or skin dried out at all, but then, I drank a lot, and I do mean A LOT, of water before and after surgery.

I also did not need larger clothing, including underwear. Whew!

My surgery was an LSH, so I did not have any bleeding post op...there was a bit of discharge the night of surgery when I went to the bathroom, but after that, smooth sailing. I did wear a mini-pad for a while, just in case...and out of habit

In the hospital, I used my deodorant, brush, toothbrush and make up (too vain to look plain. LOL) I brought a book with me, but never opened it. I thumbed through a magazine and watched TV. Also walked a lot. I wish I would have thought of ear plugs. While I had a private room, the lady across the hall was elderly and hard of hearing, so she yelled and the nurses yelled back.

I wore the same clothing in as I did out, which sure helps in packing.

On the way home, I definitely agree with a pillow. I found the worst part of the ride home was any large bump. We had to go over a couple of speed bumps and I found that lifting myself off the seat worked perfectly.

At home, keep things close by. A bottle of water; remote control; if you have a laptop, buy a small bed table I found that it was great to have contact with the world (and this site) from bed; some books or magazines and a pad of paper and a pen.

I did use a stool softener for the first week. Also ate a lot of dried prunes, which I had forgotten that I really do like.

My house is on multiple levels and my bedroom is on the top floor....so I spent the first four days home in my bedroom. My daughter and my mother brought me breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ah, personal servants. Hee hee hee!

Here is one thing that you don't think about until you do it....I took a shower at home and realized that I couldn't reach my lower legs and feet to dry them. LOL! My mother was her, so she came in and dried them for me. It took about 4 days until I was able to figure out a comfortable way to bend over.

Everyone has given really great advice here....you should be outfitted well!
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:46 PM

I so agree with Kathy. LOL First time I took a shower at home, I realized I couldn't reach my legs to wash, let alone dry. DH was standing outside of the shower ready to help if needed. So glad he was...he helped me in and out of the shower and then dried my legs and feet for several days. Even helped me get dressed. You dont realize how difficult it is to do simple things like drying and putting panties on until you get home and try to do it! I also read on here, the hair dryer works great on the incision, which you wont have, but it also works good to dry your legs and feet.
Another thing I really enjoyed having once I was home was a bed table with a side pocket on each side. It held thank you notes, notebook, remote, and it holds a laptop really well. And of course, food sits perfectly.
Definitely if you have nothing else at home, have someone there that is able and willing to wait on you hand and foot! Especially those first few days. I dont know what I would have done without my mother in law!
Good luck and speedy recovery!
amy
Unread 06-01-2008, 12:05 PM

I took much more than I needed. I took a shower while I was there so I needed my toiletries as well as toothbrush and toothpaste. Chap stick is a must because your mouth will be soooo dry. I used my cell phone quite a bit and my biggest must have was my own pillow. The hospital provided socks, gowns and pads which I did not need since mine was TAH.

Good luck and I will say a prayer for you. It is almost over. Yeah!!
Unread 06-01-2008, 12:47 PM

I took hand sanatizer , moisture blistex ( I love this stuff) I also took sanatizer wipes to wipe everything down in the room ( the bed rails ,the remote ,the bedside table and anything else I could think of because they are full of germs and bacteria. Well I had help doing it cause I couldnt get around very well. ... LOL ...
Unread 06-02-2008, 08:37 AM

Hi and good luck with your surgery. I had my surgery on May 9th. The things I used most in the hospital were:
eye mask (helps to get sleep during the day)
lip gloss
sippy cup/water bottle
ipod
thank you notes and pen (the nurses were very nice to me and they appreciated the notes even posted them on the board in the lobby)
pillow
robe
toothbrush & paste
I took alot of other things i never used. Pack light. The hospital will have every thing you will need.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register