Waiting....Again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waiting....Again Waiting....Again

Unread 11-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Waiting....Again

Well I sit here in depression waiting AGAIN, was scheduled for LAVH for November 10th, but found out today Dr. did not file all the appropriate paperwork, so surgery is postponed awaiting this to be done. On top of this, the office staff has made me feel like I am a total inconvenience and that they just don't have "time" to take care of the necessities for my surgery, and how dare me to CALL them to ask the status of things! Had the nerve to tell me I should not be making "plans" since "things happen" .... all of this has been in "process" since September 22nd! With two kids how can I NOT make arrangements! So now, I have the added stress of a doctors office that seems most aggravated by me for being upset about them not taking care of their part and I made a point of being as NICE as I possibly could as I did not want to make them mad. UGHHHH!

I have been in pain since forever, started with scar tissue issues 15 years ago, had surgery for that in '88, and have had problems ever since. I have put off a hyster due to fear but this past year the pain has become something I simply can't live with on a day to day basis. Plus my anemia has me totally drained all the time. Had to have a blood transfusion in August (2 units) and now I am worried that my blood levels with be too low again to have surgery without waiting the transfusion wait if I wait any longer.

Top this off with now I am nervous about doctor and staff and their attitude (haven't been able to speak directly to the doctor regarding this); but not sure that I want to deal with them and "surgery!" But also am afraid of going thru the waiting game of finding another surgeon.

I also have IBS and Interstitial Cystisis so this stress has EVERYTHING flared up. I can't stop crying over the slightest thing, my stomach is killing me and has me doubled over, and yet I still have "life" to contend with.

I am so tired of being sick and tired all the time, not being able to be there for my family because I am always sick, not being able to be a wife to my husband, altho most of time he is very understanding (but lets face it he is a MAN and has his moments)

I see my general doc who is wonderful but NOT a surgeon on Monday, and I am wondering what to say to him. I wish he would just admit me to the hospital and order an emergency hysterectomy. But not sure if that is even a possibilty. I have been in severe pain since August when I received the transfusion, I know my blood levels are dropping daily, and now the holidays are approaching which depresses me even more.

Thanks for everyone here to listen, sorry to ramble, just guess I needed to get it off my chess, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, symptoms are ...severe anemia, terrible pain, fibroid cysts, and scar tissue (that I know of so far)
LauraLee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Waiting....Again

Oh LauraLee,

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles with getting your surgery scheduled and all.

If my doctor & his office treated me like that...I think I would be looking for a new doctor. Maybe you could ask your GP for a refferal to a more compassionate MD with a more competant staff. Your new MD could request all the medical records and test results, and such, and you probably wouldn't have that much of a delay in getting the surgery.

I don't think trying the "emergency" route would be in your best interest...if the insurance company got wind that it wasn't "really" an emergency you could get stuck with a HUGE bill.

Hang in there, sweetie!
Unread 11-07-2003, 09:02 PM
you deserve better

Oh, LauraLee, what a mess for you. Hugs, hugs, hugs. If I were in your situation, I'd be looking for another surgeon. Yes, I know -- the time, waiting for appointments, transferring records, etc. But it's crucial that you feel you are in good hands and it doesn't sound that way from your post. You certainly deserve much better than the kind of treatment being dished out to you. Can your regular doctor give you something extra to help with the pain in the meantime? That's a band-aid I know, but it maybe it could help a little. And do you know other women who have had hysters? Maybe they can recommend a surgeon.
Gerri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2003, 09:15 PM
thanks for the replies

Thanks so much for the quick replies, this site is a true god send as right now I'm not finding any support else where, altho my husband is trying, he just doesn't have any answers, I do love him for trying his best, and at least he understands why I am at the computer right now instead of in bed

I am sure the "emergency" thing would not work at this point, altho with the pain I am in I think it should qualify! And hopefully my GP will give me something for my nerves and pain, although he is not a real advocate of these things. Not that he doesn't believe the pain is real, but because of my chronic conditions, pain management is key for me but nothing is working.

I do think trying to find a new doctor is what I am going to do. I am sure my GP can refer me to one (the surgeon I am currently having the problems with, "I" choose by referrals from friends and neighbors). Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area and there are not alot of doctors, and those that there are that accept my insurance are booked for months (I made some calls today). I am hoping that possibly my GP can maybe call in a favor to someone. I'm also hoping that my ins. co will not give me problems about changing docs this late in the game, altho even if I have pay some $ out of pocket at this point it will be worth my peace of mind, if I can stand more WAITING! This surgeon did do my gallbladder sugery and is a good surgeon but his staff is just awful.

Thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers, and for sharing their stories, it really is a comfort to know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel, and I hope I will be nearing it soon.
Hugs,
LauraLee
Unread 11-07-2003, 09:26 PM
1st thing you should do

Is try to take a deep breath in....there you go...

Now, I want you to know that I truly understand what you must be feeling, I have problems w/ IBS, & this pain mess related w/ my uterus, etc...it just bites at the best of times...but then when you upset it, it only makes it worse, right...

I would be in that surgeons office 1st thing Monday morning & tell him to get all his crap in one sock & get me squared away pronto or refer me to someone that would..

I have to stand up for myself...you do too...take some of that pent up anger & direct it in a constructive way...to make positive things happen to you...

I would sit & personally see that things got done if I had to sit there with my children to get it done...I would let them know that I mean business...or I could carry my business elsewhere...

They are not doing charity work...these drs get paid $$$ believe me...& you & I foot the bills...dont let them jerk you around simply because they wear lab coats & drive fancy cars...<<HA>>HA>>

Seriously...if you will direct this anger to them in a constructive matter you will get results...you know what they say...the greasy wheel gets the grease...

I hope you get things in order & you are castle bound & well on the road to recovery as soon as possible...

Bless your heart...your day was tramatic...mine was as well...recon its in the water???

I hope that you calm your nerves down...you need to take a long walk, or a cool shower...

Please let us know how you are
Unread 11-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Waiting....Again

LauraLee,
I think you are doing the right thing to get a different Dr. if they are that unconcerned now how will it be after the surgery? After the surgery you need to know that your Dr. is on the ball and concerned for you.
Be straight with your GP, tell him you are uncomfortable with the treatment you are receiving and want to feel completely at ease for this surgery.
If your insurance gives you any trouble, call them yourself and tell the same thing. Many times they will be more understanding than you think.
Best wishes and a speedy surgery and recovery!
Blessings,
Kathy
Unread 11-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Waiting....Again

If you are having trouble getting in with another doctor in your area, maybe you can have your GP call your gynecologist directly and express the concerns on your behalf. He, (the surgeon), may be very competent professionally, yet unaware that his staff is jerking you around. In the practice I work at, the docs are so busy focusing on their "doctorly duties" (as they should be) that they aren't really aware of the undercurrents unless a patient complains about something.

I have a great GP with a horrible office staff. I have complained to him about specific incidents on a couple of occasions and gotten the results I needed. I feel fortunate that my gynecologist is wonderful/thoughtful/caring and I really like his office staff as well.

Anyway, if your GP talks to the GYN directly, you may very well see that things are remedied immediately. (Afterall, with many insurance plans, the GYN gets his referrals from the GPs so may want to make sure the GP is satisfied with the service his patients are getting).
Unread 11-08-2003, 06:54 AM
Waiting....Again

laura lee, I am having the same sort of problem. I just haven't gotten a date yet. I was told on Oct. 2 that a hyst. was the only thing left to try for me. I bleed almost constantly maybe 3 days a month without any bleeding. It is making me crazy and I just want to get it over with. When I call the girl who schedule the surgerys she is very abrubt and says I WILL CALL YOU WHEN I HAVE YOUR DATE. Do they not know how stressed out the waiting makes us? I have not been sleeping due to the stress so I told the doc and he gave me Ambian to help me sleep. I love my doc and doen't want to switch I just wish he wasn't so booked up that I have to wait so long. Good luck to you gettin your new surgery date. Terri
Unread 11-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Waiting....Again

Laura ------- follow the advice of these women! If nothing else, inform the staff who work for your surgeon that you are NOT happy with the run-around that you are receiving (remembering that a polite but determined attitude works better than a demanding one) and state the same to your surgeon. Cloud is absolutely correct with her statement that the squeeky wheel gets the grease ........ who else is going to plead your case but you? Good luck, hang tough -- it WILL get done!!

Cameo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register