Should I have my ovaries removed???? - Page 3 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I have my ovaries removed???? Should I have my ovaries removed????

Unread 08-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Should I have my ovaries removed????

I think if I was you I would also have them out. There's too much in your family already. I am 6 days postop from a TVH/BSO and I was very unsure about having the ovaries out even though I am 54. I think I made the right decision though because of my age. You are younger but there have been a lot of stories of women who kept their ovaries and then ended up with ovarian cancer. Then again, you have to trust your dr. too if you are confident in him already and he has been already treating you. On the other hand, I agree with you, you can take replacement hormones and calcium, exercise. Our ovaries start to wither up anyway and stop producing enough hormones by menopause. You still need supplemental estrogen and testosterone in my opinion. God bless you and ask Him to help you in your search for answers. I know it can be a frantic time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2005, 08:35 PM

Thank you all for the great advice. I will talk to my doctor again, then I will put the decision in his hands and God's. Thanks again.
Unread 08-11-2005, 05:54 AM

sorry it took a couple of days to respond. I had my ovary removed because of cysts. I had,believe it or not, 14 cysts on it. The largest was 3 inches. I had a lot of pain while it was in, and now it has switched to the remaining ovary. The tests they are doing are blood tests(white blood cell count, etc.), a MRI, xrays, and a ct scan. I hope you're feeling better about a decision, and thank you for the prayers.

blessings-
amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2005, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubby
....you can take replacement hormones and calcium, exercise.
Unfortunately, that's not always true. I listened to my doctor, who decided that because of my age my ovaries should come out. So....ovaries were removed along with the uterus and three weeks later I experienced a deep vein thrombosis, making it impossible for me to take hormones. Surgical menopause with no HRT is not an easy thing.
Unread 08-11-2005, 07:03 AM

Removal of ovaries is definatly one of my main concerns. 5 yrs ago (46 yo)I had cervical cancer (my mom had it at about the same age)at that time I wanted a hyster, due to insurance they would not(they did a hyster on my mom). After many procedures they won the battle with the cervical cancer. Last month I went in for my regular pap and Dr. notice how large my uterus was (which was noticably large the last time I went in 1 year ago). A endometriosis (sp)byopsy was scheduled and due to the amount of scarring could not preform the procedure. My doctor is suspecting cancer. I am so unsure weither or not too keep them (ov)or not. At least I have about a month to decide, thanks to this website I will be able to make an informed decision. Thanks. Ps my mother also had osteoporosis.
Unread 08-11-2005, 03:21 PM

When I was reading a few other threads, some people who have kept their ovaries seem to develop painful cysts and end up removing their ovaries a few months after their hystrectomy. So I think I will tell my doctor all my concerns and then letting him decide.

Maybe I should print this thread and go over each one with him.
Unread 08-11-2005, 09:25 PM

The studies I've read say that 5-15% of women who have hysterectomy end up having further surgery on their ovaries.

If a woman has an uneventful hysterectomy and no ovarian troubles afterwards, you're unlikely to hear from her posting updates here that her ovaries are fine.

I hope you've had a chance to read over the articles that Pearle pointed to, especially the Rationale for Ovarian Conservation. There's very little evidence supporting prophylactic oophorectomy as a reasoned treatment for the general population but there is a long history of it. There is a lot of evidence that oophorectomy can bring higher risks for bladder incontincence, tooth loss, vaginal atrophy, low sex drive, bone loss, thyroid cancer, high cholesterol, heart attacks and strokes.

There is a general characterization of ovaries "shriveling" as we get older. Mostly because after ovulation ceases, that part of the ovary does contract, but the ovaries continue to function - this has been documented in women well into their seventies.

I know I run the risk, just like everyone else who keeps their ovaries that some day I might need further surgery because of a cyst or even cancer, but I take comfort that in that interval I will have had the benefit of my natural hormones.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a blood test for the genetic markers for ovarian cancer (BRCA1 & BRCA2), you might want to discuss getting that test with your doctor. If you test negative for that, your risk for ovarian cancer is exceptionally low.

I'm so glad you've opened this dialogue. These issues are on a lot of women's minds, especially because of the newest study about oophorectomy that was released last week.

Take care.
Unread 08-11-2005, 10:39 PM

Hi carrion

I had the LAVH-BSO on June 1st and I feel great.
I had minimal surgical menopause symptoms and I'm not taking any HRT (I'm age 45)

I had the LAVH due to heavy flooding, near hemorrhaging on the last period - couldn't get the flow to stop using 3 super tampons + super pad, changing that set-up every 20 minutes for two days!

The ovary removal was a decision based on my mom having ovarian cancer. She told us (she has 3 daughters) that both her grandmothers died of ovca, and on my dad's side, my cousin had ovca at age 20!
Her mother (my aunt) had colon cancer.
So I was concerned about some genetic situation (ovarian, breast and colon cancer all reside on the same gene, and you can inherit this from mom or dad's side)

I also knew a gal who was only 46 yrs old and died within 4 months of her diagnosis of ovca! And she had NO hereditary factors!

Even though I had several protective factors (took birth control pills, had a tubal ligation) I still wanted those out, because I know there's no good screening test for ovca. (I was doing the CA-125 and pelvic ultrasound every 6 months) I've also had ovarian cysts (simple, functional ones, nothing serious).
In about 5 yrs we (USA) may have a good screening test. I'm aware of the proteomics test that is being checked by the FDA.

I was going to try to hold off until age 50 to have these out, thinking I'd be closer to menopause. But.. didn't work out that way for me. Also..the ovaries do shut down after menopause, only producing a wee amount of negligable hormones. Your adrenal glands (they sit on top of the kidneys) take over and produce some hormones as needed.
If you have healthy adrenals, then you should not have much difficulty, but some women are not healthy and this causes more difficulty.

The WHI study that Holly refers to - was a study that examined the NON-bioidentical hormone replacement.
To date there are no studies yet on the Bioidenticals - guess our generation is that study group. (It would stand to reason that something identical to what we make would be best for us. Tho' I've read that an estrogen is still an estrogen and has effects on estrogen receptor sites: the breast, the higher the dose and the longer you're on it. )

As an FYI: American Heart Association's website refutes the claim that estrogen should be taken to prevent heart attacks.
Also there are non-hormone meds for prevention of osteoporosis.

A recent news article (New England Journal of Medicine) states that removal of the ovaries reduces breast cancer by 75% in those who have the inherited BRCA1/2 gene.

Egads it's confusing.

I had the ovaries out, and have a lot of peace of mind about it, and I am doing great.

Your dr can probably help advise you best.
Shoozie
Unread 08-11-2005, 10:48 PM

Thanks for that Shoozie. I was ready to start planning the funeral. <g>

Holly
Unread 08-11-2005, 10:56 PM

Well Holly,

Don't go planning that funeral just yet!
Even though I'm boycotting the estrogen (er, except for that vagifem to keep my southern hemisphere happy), I am ingesting fermented soy (phytoestrogens) twice daily, and... nope, there are no studies on that either!

Sometimes my head hurts from all these studies and the conflicting opinions! :eyes:

As I pondered it today - I came to realize that the biggest risk factor of dying is... living. (HAHAHA...if you live, you will...at some point...die.)

On that note, I am putting my insomniac self to bed with some Tylenol PM (haven't looked for any studies on that med! HAHA)

Shoozie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register