Dealing with people at work | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dealing with people at work Dealing with people at work

Unread 08-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Dealing with people at work

I am having a TAH at the end of this month, and I was wondering if anyone had sugestions about how to explain my absence to my coworkers. My attempts to be vague are often met with prying questions, and I am not comfortable describing in depth such a private issue. While I realize that others are work only want to help (mostly), it is difficult to separate my life and work by simply saying "see you in 6-8 weeks". Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2005, 10:35 PM

I guess the mysterious "female surgery" explanation usually works. I was a little hesitant at first, but since most of my coworkers are female, I told them what was going on. In the end I was glad I did. Turns out many of them had hysts and were full of great advice and sympathy. Don't close that door if you can help it.
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:52 PM

I had way too many nosy freaks at work (including my boss). My surgery came up quickly and unexpectedly due to hemorrhaging, so I had no time to notify anyone (and boss was out on his own sick time), so I went to HR and they helped me through the paperwork and kept it all confidential!

My surgery also happened to occur 10 days after my wedding so, it appeared to many that I was on a long honeymoon!

I guess I prefered to remain vague from those prying and gossipy folks too..
I just said: medical leave (nothing more)
I suppose some are guessing what type of leave, due to my age and the time off work 6 wks..but I let them wonder.
Still, I've had a real awful nosy younger gal who has gone out of her way to tell me how horrible and old and tired I look.
See...that's why I keep this surgery confidential.
I also don't want freaks speculating on my every emotion and whispering that it's my hormones.
I've been real mellow and had minimal warm flashes.
Have had NONE at work (and I don't take HRT).
I've worked at this job for 3 yrs and wear a ponytail nearly every day. However, the other day I had the nosy one come by and start in with the sympathetic face and tone, asking if I was too hot/warm..because I had my hair in a ponytail (good grief!) I've worn a ponytail for 3 yrs at this job!

I love the support on this website. I didn't need anyone from work meddling into my personal business!

Shoozie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2005, 03:52 AM

Shoozie...i'd really love to goto work with you one day....hormone free...and meet this girl, i'd have a "nice" chat with her in the girls bathroom.
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-10-2005, 04:06 AM

Everyone at work knows, Male and Female. Not sure if I wanted it this way. But I am a nurse and what I dont tell my supervisor tells.

Good luck! Maybe you can say "personal reasons".

GA
Unread 08-10-2005, 04:11 AM

I told a few, just the ones I felt comfy with knowing. The rest could go to H**L , let them think what they wanted it wasnt any of their business anyway.
Our office is "Gossip Central" some make it a point to have to know whats going on and make comments like they know more than my DR. I avoided alot of tongues wagging by being closed mouth to most of them let them think whatever they wished....
It hasnt been bad going back , I dont offer alot of information and I wont answer to the ones I know just are being nosey ...I just say everything is fine now !!!
Shoozie I would like to have 2 minutes with that twit you deal with ...she'd certainly think twice the next time she had something to pour out of her stupid mouth !!! LOL LOL
Did you ever go to HR about her ???
Unread 08-10-2005, 05:03 AM

I work at a college and I just referred to it as "the woman's operation." Most people toned it down after that explanation, and some who had gone through it offered comfort and advice. Just go with your comfort level and anyone who can't handle that (except maybe your boss, who for work-related reasons may need to know more) will just have to get over it.
Unread 08-10-2005, 05:07 AM

I believe in KARMA... sitting back to watch, It DOES happen to those who deserve !!!!
Unread 08-10-2005, 05:30 AM

I'm not a quiet one so most of the people that I work with know why I am out (office job). I even brought in 3 boxes of tampons and passed them out before my surgery. teehee! Because they know, they have been very supportive and helpful. But I am very comfortable with them, kind of like a big family. I guess the level of information that you put out depends on comfort level with your coworkers.
Unread 08-10-2005, 06:10 AM

I chose not to make my hysterectomy a secret in the workplace. In doing so, I received a lot of counsel and support from others I would not have otherwise. It has eliminated silly speculations and gossip. People do not approach me with inapproriate comments. I also find it lefted a lot of stress from me.

When I look back on others who have had extended medical leaves, I remember that they always came back with a different look. This gave the perception that they were somehow looking "fresher". I took the opportunity while off to change my look slightly. Many people comment that I look like I have been away at a spa. This has put a positive spin on "female surgery" in my workplace.

Take care and have a wonderful recovery!

Tamara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register