Do you get gas with a big cut? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you get gas with a big cut? Do you get gas with a big cut?

Unread 08-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Do you get gas with a big cut?

I was wondering if you are cut from the belly-button to the pubic bone for your op - would you still suffer from gas afterwards? Do they even inflate you with gas when the cut is so big? How could they keep it in there?

Sorry if that is a silly question .... but I am still learning so much from this site - thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2005, 09:47 AM

The gas you experience is due to the bowels starting to work again, when they put you out for the surgery, you bowels go to sleep too. I think the ladies who have the surgery lapriscopically have more gas, because they do fill the abdomen with air, to get a better view, but the ladies (including myself) who have had their surgery abdominally, still have a fair amount of gas from everything *wakingup* and getting back to normal...
There are no silly questions here, dont be afraid to ask, there is so much to learn, and so many questions to be asked, and none of them are silly......
snickers
Unread 08-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Also, there is some free air in your abdomen after your surgeon sews up the incision from umbilicus to pubic bone. They can't do all that work in there without getting a few bubbles stuck in the cracks! LOL This gas makes itself known after you start sitting up in bed after your operation. It usually causes some discomfort in your breastbone region, anywhere in the upper abdomen, or in your shoulders. I had a bit of free gas after my TAH, but it went away in a few days.

The intestinal gas, however, can be very painful. My doc was very good about telling me what to eat to avoid it. He said to stay away from any hard to digest foods, and to eat very bland food at first. He said NO green leafy veggies, NO fried or greasy foods, NO broccoli or cauliflower. He told me to eat soft, starchy foods at first...crackers, jello, low-fiber breads, soups, noodles, etc. I had very little bowel gas since I followed his directions to the letter.

And a word about constipation....You will want to try to avoid that at all costs. Walk, walk, walk after your surgery. And ask your doc if it is ok for you to take stool softeners upon graduating to solid food. Stool softeners are better than laxatives since your body doesn't become reliant upon them.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2005, 06:12 AM

Hi omni~

I had an LAVH/BSO on August 1. It is true that a lot of gas is inserted with this procedure so a clear view can be had. However, I had no gas pains at all (nothing to speak of anyway) and know far more women who have had a TAH and have suffered with gas more

Having said that, everyone is different, perhaps I was just really lucky.
My problem is with constipation !

VeggieChef is totally right on regarding post op diet regardless of the type of surgery one has. Be very careful about that even though you may feel as though you could eat whatever you want. Many women tend to resume their "normal" diet too quickly thus exasperating the possible gas problems.

Best wishes for a speedy and unevenftful recovery on your upcoming surgery!

's
Heni

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register