A Few Questions.... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Few Questions.... A Few Questions....

Unread 08-11-2005, 10:12 AM
A Few Questions....

Hello Sisters,

I am scheduled for my hysterectomy in 6 days. My Dr asked me if I wanted to keep my cervix, what are your thoughts on this? I know that we decided to keep my ovaries, but I'm not sure about the cervix, what's the difference between keeping them or removing them?

Is it true, that post-op a man can tell if a woman has had a hysterectomy by the feeling he gets when he inserts her (sexually)? Sorry, is this a dumb question??? I was told by a friend (who didn't have a hysterectomy of any type) that a man can tell, as it's like having sex in the ocean (once he is in you)??? Oh gosh, is this true?

What about weight, I am about 40lbs over weight now, what are my chances of gaining more weight post-op? Is it possible to lose weight do this huge change in your body?

Thanks for your sharing your words of wisdom....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2005, 10:27 AM
A Few Questions....

I dunno know about wisdom, but I can share words.
Honestly, I don't know all of the benefits of keeping or taking your cervix. I do know that without it you can "pretty much" rule out cervical cancer. My DR said mine needed to be gone ~ so it's gone.

As far as men being able to tell you had a hyst, I don't think many of them would be able to unless you told them. And you're friend telling you it's like
  Quote:
having sex in the ocean
, I've never heard that before. And if she hasn't had a hyst, how would she know?
I can tell you that just this morning I had sex for the first time since my hyst and my DH said that if he didn't already know about the surgery, he doesn't think he would have noticed anything at all. Even with him knowing and "looking" for anything that felt different, the only thing he noticed was I'm a little tighter. But we were both really nervous so maybe we'll notice different things later when we're more comfortable. I don't know.
Unread 08-11-2005, 12:17 PM
A Few Questions....

I had my cervix removed as I had a TVH and I am now 9 weeks post-op. My DH can NOT tell the difference from before surgery. If he did not already know I had my cervix removed along with the uterus, he would not be able to tell now. I hope this puts your mind at ease. Best wishes with your surgery & recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
A Few Questions....

I wonder if your friend thinks that they leave the area open where the cervix once was. With her discription of the ocean, maybe she thinks it just goes on and on, odd opinion from someone who has not been there. When the cervix is removed a vaginal cuff is made, my doc described it kind of like the toe of a sock, I know bad analogy but it really helped me visualize it. He said the sides around where the cervix was are pulled and stitched together, this only causes a slight shortening so slight it is not noticable. I am scheduled for a TVH tues so my cervix will go. As far as the wieght there was a lengthy thread about that recently, do a search for weight loss and it should come up. GL on wed. Angela
Unread 08-11-2005, 12:34 PM
A Few Questions....

Thank you all for your responses. This information definitely eases my mind. I will keep you all posted on the outcome of my surgery. Many thanks to you all for your support!
Unread 08-11-2005, 04:04 PM
A Few Questions....

my doc had me keep my cervix for 2 reasons...it holds everything inside so you dont need the vagina cuff and he said it will help me keep my sexual feelings the same(orgasm...dont know quite how to put it) some might dissagree its just what my doc told me
Unread 08-11-2005, 04:11 PM
*omg*

Hi. I'm sitting here, giggling over what your friend said about sex after a hyst. That's too funny!!!

Ok, I know it wasn't meant to be funny. Although I've not had my hyst yet-my mom has. I've asked her and my dad, as well as a few other ladies I know that have had hysts and they all say that there's no difference. My dad said he can't tell a thing! (my mom had her cervix removed)

I hope this helps!
Unread 08-11-2005, 05:56 PM
A Few Questions....

You are all too cute! I love your responses, especially the funny ones.....
Unread 08-11-2005, 06:49 PM
A Few Questions....

No one mentioned this, but I think I read somewhere if you keep your cervix you would still have mini periods?
Is this true?
Thanks, I'm still about 3 months before surgery and trying to get all of the information I can.
Unread 08-11-2005, 07:42 PM
A Few Questions....

I think it would be beneficial to do a search on cervix and sex, I have read posts where men do notice a difference.

So many things come into play when you ask the question, it depends on the man and what he is carrying, so to speak.

I can understand what your friend says about the 'ocean'. The best way I can describe it, and remember I am 3 years post-op so may body has settled down after the surgery and it does take a while, is that the cervix holds it all together and keeps it taught.

This is so hard to explain, and it is only my feelings/opinion. Once my cervix went I don't have any 'grip' in my vagina, I used to but slowly over time it went away, and I do kegels.

Be very sure why you are having this surgery, if it is absolutely life saving necessary, you have exhausted every option. Also if we can tell a difference in orgasm and feeling, doesn't it stand to reason that a man could as well.

Best of luck with your decision, personally if you don't have cancer of any sort I say you are out of your mind to remove your uterus and/or cervix.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register