A Few Questions.... - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Few Questions.... A Few Questions....

Unread 08-11-2005, 08:10 PM
A Few Questions....

I had heard about the "mini periods" too and was told they could happen if you keep your ovaries & cervix. without your ovaries, your body really doesn't even know what a period is.

Every woman is different ~ whether it's because of cancer, endo, adeno, cysts, etc ~ we all have to make the best decision for US. If your QUALITY of life is suffering because of problems with your uterus, ovaries, cervix, tubes I think that is more than a legitimate reason to have a hyst IF that's what you feel is the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2005, 08:40 PM
A Few Questions....

Hi Irene70,

I am a cervix-retaining Hyster Sister.

I had my hyst over a year ago and in my case, I am very glad I kept my cervix. My Dr. thought the cervix helps with future pelvic support and in the sex dept. True for me on both!!

My cervix was sturdy and I had had normal pap smears for years so my Dr and I decided the best choice was to keep it. My Dr. also said that less than 5% of woman get cervical cancer so I thought I had very good odds.

Addressing the mini-period question... I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and that has prevented me from having a mini-period in post-op. A small percentage of ladies who keep the cervix and one or both ovaries have a mini-period after a hyst. And from what I have read about a mini-period, it only requires a monthly pantyliner.

I guess on the cervx question, I think, if it isn't broken why fix it?? Discuss the cervix question with your Dr. and you will make a good choice for yourself. I do not regret one second leaving mine.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 08-11-2005, 09:18 PM
A Few Questions....

Thank You Hyster Sisters~

You continue to shed more and more light for me. I will discuss options with my DR, and do whats best for me and my condition. Many thanks to you all......

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register