Im so chicken Im thinkin of backing out - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Im so chicken Im thinkin of backing out Im so chicken Im thinkin of backing out

Unread 08-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Im so chicken Im thinkin of backing out

I also had a long time to fret about the surgery. I scheduled mine 3 months in advance. My last two periods weren't that bad and I questioned whether or not I was doing the right thing.

Each time those thoughts crept into my head I would remind myself of all the stained undies, sheets, etc and how miserable I usually felt during my period. I decided I would rather be a young princess than an older one with more problems who wished they had done it sooner.

Feeling edgy is completely normal. Just keep reminding yourself of the reason you're having it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2005, 09:27 AM

yesimready, it is so normal to have doubts. I had my moments pre-op when I wondered if I was doing the right thing. Like you, I had several large fibroids that had grown a lot over the last few months, and my periods had been heavy (clot & flood days had grown to 5 or 6 in a 10 day period) for years. I had an ablation in December 2003 that helped for a bit, then didn't. Then over last winter the pain began to last almost the whole month, and bleeding for 2 - 3 weeks. It was getting to the point where work was really difficult. I decided to go for it. The doctor said that he had to do an incision because my uterus was too big for a vaginal. Still I wondered if there would be nothing in there when they looked. I'm also over-weight. Like you, the last period wasn't quite so bad. Unlike you, I had barely a month from decision to surgery. I had made the decision and wasn't going to back down. I can tell you that everything went fine and the pathology proved I did the right thing. My recovery has been pretty uneventful. Thank goodness for all the support on this site because the wealth of experience and wisdom here will get you through whatever you decide.
Best of luck to you! Look after yourself.
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:27 AM

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2005, 09:43 AM

i had a TAV on July 19 and my doctor chose this due to my fibriods.He felt due to these, it is much easier to remove abdominally as he could see much more and they really dont know how many and how big they are till they get in. It made sense to me, having them removed vaginally would not be as smooth. Agreed the waiting is the very worst part. My incision is healing nicely and believe me, it will never be seen in public, only if I was a skinny teenager wearing a skimpy bikini, so that will never happen! It is so low, it wont affect me in any way. Good Luck! Diane
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:47 AM

I urge you to go ahead with surgery. You will feel so much better afterwards once you get through the first week. It is important to get up as soon as you can after surgery, even though it hurts. I am on week four and I feel pretty good. I get tired and sore if i am up alot but I feel sooo much better. I went through the same thing, even cried on the way to the hospital. You can look at my posts before surgery and see how I was.
We are all here for you. The pre-op is very helpful. Afterwards the post-op is great. It has sure helped me through my tough decision. Good Luck and I will be thinking of you.
Bradenton TAH July 19, 2005 Kept ovaries
Unread 08-12-2005, 01:23 PM

Hi
I had my op 2 weeks ago today and apart from feeling tired, i feel great. I really wish I had had this done years ago. I started driving today altho, I didn't go far it was nice to get out of the house.
We will all experience things in different ways but I also urge you to go ahead with your op and get on with your life, I feel like a HUGE load has been lifted from me already!!
Take care and lots of ((((((hugs))))))
Sue

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register