medical records got lost ?! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

medical records got lost ?! medical records got lost ?!

Unread 08-12-2005, 02:38 PM
medical records got lost ?!

Hi: I'm trying to have my old ob-gyn medical records transferred to my new ob-gyn who'll be doing my SAH at the end of Sept. But...my old ob-gyn left the practice of medicine, and her old group seems to have had a total overturn in staff and a reorganization. The office staff there is saying my medical records (10+ years' worth, including my pregnancy) are not in their office. They say they're not in the special box of "old" files remaining from the ob-gyn who left. No one knows where my records are. Before I freak, what do you make of this? I've never worked in a medical office and have no clue how records are tracked, kept, archived, etc. Could my file have been thrown into the garbage? How on earth might I start to track it down? Would it be silly to try to reach my old doc and see what she thinks happened to her former pateints' charts?

Feeling queasy, here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2005, 02:46 PM

I don't think it would be out of line to contact your old doctor to find out where the records may be. How long has it been since you saw that doctor? Sometimes they "clean house" a bit too well. Some of my records have been lost previously and I think that it is perfectly legal for a doctor to keep them if he/she leaves a practice. Not sure, but have heard of it happening. It won't hurt to call and ask. They are YOUR records! I would be throwing a fit until the old doc or doc's office coughed up the records!

Good luck to you
Unread 08-12-2005, 03:12 PM

By law all medical records must be kept for seven years after you have transferred to another Dr. Some offices do not have the storage room onsite to hold all of these records and have off site storage. Ask them, if this is the case it may take awhile for them to get them for you but they should have them. Old medical records are very helpful for your new Dr to refer to, hope you can get them! Good luck.
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2005, 03:19 PM
doctor retired 1 1/2 years ago

The ob-gyn who left her pactice retired just a 1 1/2 years ago, so I would guess she had other patients who need their records, too. Mine seem to be the only ones missing, according to the old office.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register