Will they still do my surgery if I have a cold & scratchy throat???? SO UPSET!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will they still do my surgery if I have a cold & scratchy throat???? SO UPSET!!! Will they still do my surgery if I have a cold & scratchy throat???? SO UPSET!!!

Unread 09-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Will they still do my surgery if I have a cold & scratchy throat???? SO UPSET!!!

Hi Sisters,

I am due at the castle tomorrow morning 8 am. I noticed all afternoon I was feeling funny. Now this evening my throat is scratchy, my left nostril is runny too. I am not running a fever. I do have fall allergies so I don't know if it's those or a cold. Does this mean I will be cancelled????

I CANNOT believe this is happening. I just want this over with and the thought of having to wait another few weeks kills me. I am very upset they'll send me home tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Will they still do my surgery if I have a cold & scratchy throat???? SO UPSET!!!

If they do, be assured that this would be for your own good. Anesthesia is strong, and they need to know all your air passages are clear before they set you up with it. Also, it could hinder your recovery if you are coughing and hacking. So be honest with them about how you are feeling. Better to go in with the best chances of getting out with as little difficulty as possible. Pray for guidance, and you'll find peace.
Unread 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM

Thanks Blue for your quick response. I guess I'll go in, tell them my symptoms and let them decide if it's a go or not. I just can't believe I come down with this the night before I go. Unreal. I have done a lot of praying. I guess I'll do some more now.

Thanks again. Hope you're feeling well and having a good recovery.

Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2006, 05:58 PM

I had your symptoms but it was 4 days b4 surgery(plus nasal pain). They gave me preventative antibiotics but I truly truly believe that it was allergies. Try gargling some salt water...it'll dry things up. I'd call the doc and ask. Don't wait until tomorrow. Have them page the doctor. No sense in doing all the preop stuff if you will get pushed back.
Unread 09-05-2006, 06:21 PM

I had the same symptoms and actually had full blown laryngitis when I arrived at the hospital. They said as long as I had no fever and no congestion, it would be a go. They gave me preventative antibiotics IV during the surgery and the anesthesiologist hooked on a humidifier to my airway tube during the surgery so my throat wouldn't be more irritated. Let everyone know and it's more than likely they will go ahead with it. Just don't try to hide it....it might only hinder you in the end. Good luck.
Unread 09-05-2006, 06:35 PM

I hope it's OK for you to have your surgery tomorrow. As the others have said, unless you are sick with a fever/congestion, they most likely will go forward. If the hospital had to wait for 100% healthy patients all of the time, they'd have to delay lots and lots of surgeries.
Unread 09-05-2006, 06:41 PM

Thanks Sisters! I just called the doc's office. I do have fall allergies so I am not sure it's a cold or the allergies, but they RN told me I can go ahead and take my claritin D allergy pill. So I just took that. The RN said to go ahead and show up tomorrow, and they will first exam me and then determine if it's a go. But she said too that as long as I don't have a fever or congestion they should do it. The only thing as far as stuffiness is my right nostril. it's blocked one minute and runny the next.
So I will see tomorrow. I just hope it can be done. You guys made some good points. i'm sure it will be a go..unless something changes by morning and I am sicker.
Thanks again for coming to the rescue. You are all a godsend.
Hugs
Unread 09-06-2006, 05:30 AM

Angel -

Its probably too late now for this to help you but I called 2 days before surgery and got on Zertec, 20 minutes later I was 90% better.

Allergies this fall are higher than they have been in 25 years (per weather man).

I hope you were able to proceed or if not, reschedule real quick. I personally know your 'terror'.

Julie
Unread 09-06-2006, 07:22 AM

I know my response is too late for Angel-I'm sure she's probably just about to be wheeled in-but I had allergies and as someone else said, laryngitis. Here's the thing...if we waitied for me not to be sinusy, I'd never be able to have my surgery. I think that fever is the biggest concern. Heck, I had Shingles and they went ahead. They had me on Valtrex, an antivral medicine. I imagine that my immune system was actually pretty strong.
Unread 09-06-2006, 07:38 AM

Angel, I know my response is too late to help with your allergies, but I just wanted to wish you all the best. Take care! Melanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register