Questions about pre-op appointment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about pre-op appointment Questions about pre-op appointment

Unread 12-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Pre-op

My pre-op appt. is tomorrow 12/18. How long will this take and what will be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Questions about pre-op appointment

Mine was 3 hours, but I have a feeling that was VERY UNUSUAL. I saw the doctor, had a last physical and got all my questions answered. In addition my earlier Pap had come back abnormal so I got a biopsy and some repeat testing which was negative. The doctor with wait was like 1 1/2 hours.

Then to the hospital where I signed admitting papers and paid my part of the bill. Saw a pre-op nurse got more instructions, sign consent forms and had my blood and urine testing collected. Saw someone from anesthesia and answered tons of questions. Then had a chest x-ray. I am not sure why, but maybe bacause I am over 40? I work in a hospital and was surprised by the amount of papers to sign to have surgery. I also had to laugh because the consent form says the hysterectomy may "impair fertility", but also warns of possible continued fertility. If I am still fertile after all this I will be really honkerblonked and told the nurse so!! How could you still be fertile with no uterus??

Consent forms are definately totally legal documents and must be terrifying to people who don't know this!!

It really wasn't bad, except it was a long day with lots of running around.
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:22 PM

My pre op was about 1 hr. I had blood work drawn, registered, then saw a RN that works in anestesia. I also got a book about living wills. Got instructions for my bowel prep. I have to take 30cc 2x on wed. one at 3 and 1 at 6. I started a book that I will probably finish in the bathroom on Wednesday. I don't even know what time to go in on Thurs. I am supposed to call a # between 2-6 Wed afternoon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 08:33 PM

I would bet that everyone's pre-op is different. One thing I've learned from these threads is that no two doctors are alike.

My pre-op was about 30 minutes, but the entire ordeal took 2 hours. My surgeon had already examined me internally the month prior, so this time she only listened to my heart and pressed on my belly. She answered all of my questions, and thoroughly went over pre-op and post-op expectations. We went through a questionaire packet I had to fill out. I signed paperwork consenting to the surgery, which included my wishes for her to remove my ovaries IF they were diseased in any way. She also gave me prescriptions ahead of time. After my 30 minute appt, I headed over to the pharmacy, and then went to the business office to turn in my disability paperwork. Those last 2 things took more time than the appt did.

One hint, write your questions down on paper, and ask your doctor the best way to reach her/him should you have more questions. My doctor was great about responding to my last-minute email questions, and even called me the night before to see how I was doing!
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Making a list of your questions is a good idea. That's the only way that I don't forget any. My mind seems to go blank otherwise.
Each pre-op does seem to differ. Some are as simple as questions and answers and blood work done. Some involve more, depending on the dr and what all he/she orders.
Mine was a fairly long day but not really bad. It started at the dr's office with the questions and answers, a short video on the surgery. More questions. Then I went to the hospital, MORE questions ( same ones, it seemed ). I had blood work, a urinalysis, chest x-rays, and an EKG ( I was over 50 ). After I got home, the hospital called with even more questions.

But, the next day, my surgery went smoothly, so it was all worth it

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register