TAH im home in PAIN need advice.....! HURTN | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

im home in PAIN need advice.....! HURTN im home in PAIN need advice.....! HURTN

Unread 10-25-2012, 02:15 AM
im home in PAIN need advice.....! HURTN

HEllo sisters. My surgery was a success, blessed its ova. I went in onOct 22 Mon. Just came home Oct 24. It seems as irf I started hurtn more when I came home. Why is that? When I try to stand up straight, it hurts sooooo bad. Here's. My main concern, please hear me out and try and help, oh!, I am a worry wart! The hosp gave me a suppository yesterday morning, had the runs the rest of the day..ouch! They were giving me percocet every 6 hour and Toradol every 4 hours, not sure, but I might have this switched around...(sorry)..my homegoing instructions say not to mix percocet and oxycodone together...MY DILEMMA: I took Percocet @ 2:45 in afternoon. Went home around 6:00, I wanted to take my oxycodone at 10:15 last nite. I was in too much pain. But I didn't, worrying so much...I mean, this was my ONLY source of pain meds my doc told me to continue...I was soooo worried to take it...it is now 4:11 am Thurs Oct 25 I FINALLY took my Oxycodone..can somebody please help a sistah in so much pain and worries..? I will be checking for answers allll day. I'm trying to get there, and I know God makes no mistakes...my heating pad is oh, so, my Best Friend right now.......I love you all. Carmalita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Re: im home in PAIN need advice.....! HURTN

Ok, need to clarify a few things... So you were sent home with just Oxycodone, your last medication at the hospital was the Percocet at 2:45, then you took your Oxycodone at 10:15 that night? If that's correct, I suspect your pain shot up because of the 8 hour gap between doses. That's a long time to go, especially that soon after surgery.

How often were you told to take your Oxycodone? If you're in pain I would take it at the minimum interval suggested until you can get things under control again.

Were you told whether you could take ibuprofen/motrin as well? If not, it might not hurt to ask your doctor if you can take that in conjunction with your Oxycodone.

Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:22 AM

Hello Galilea! Thanks for respondn so fast. I was on Oxcycodone @ home for chronic back pains, (sorry, I didn't add this), but while in the hospital, I received , Percocet every 4 hours and Toradol every 6 hours. When I got home, I was worried not to take my Oxycodone, thinking it was too CLOSE with the time frame from the Percocet, knowing that I can't take them both at the same time!!! Very worried and nervous...............sooooooo, I NEVER took the pain pill, worried and still in pain, I have insomnia, and just took my ambien, fell asleep......I just woke up @ 3:30 this morning, and FINALLY took it then.....sorry about the mixup.. :-! Oh yea, my normal dose for my Oxy 10mg imm rel is 1, every 4 hrs, and I do, on the clock...faithfully!! Also, I have taken Tylenol with the Oxy, a few times...thank u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2012, 04:21 AM

You should check with your pharmacist. I thought Oxcycodone (sp?) was tylenol based so you might be taking too much tylenol if you take both together. I was taking Toradol in the hospital too but they said they can't send it home with patients so they switched me to Motrin 600 mg. every 6 hours. I have my phone set on three different alarms so I know when to take what as one is every six hours and one is every 4 hours. I haven't tried the heating pad, but I can't sleep without my cold pack on my side.

I don't really have an answer for you. I am now nine days out and still feeling a lot of pain. I feel better about taking the Motrin because, like the Toradol, it works on reducing the swelling rather than just masking the pain, but for now I can't seem to get more than six hours out without taking something, always the Motrin and usually two Percocets.

I was under the impression that Oxycodone was the generic name for Percocet, but I could be wrong about that. Does your doctor know you are already taking it for the back pain. It seems like you need to make sure you don't overdose on this.

I probably haven't helped at all, but I feel your desperation in wanting this pain to subside.
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM

Carmalita, sorry you're having so much pain, but the first few days are often very tough. And you have the additional problem of having used strong pain meds pre-op. Try to take your meds on a strict schedule, but you might need to talk dosages/schedule with your doctor.

Bluechick, Percoset/Oxycodone is a narcotic. Generally, you get it for a few days post-op. Once I was out of the hospital, I got way off it pretty quickly by cutting down the pills and only taking it at night.
Unread 10-25-2012, 05:15 AM

Thamk u both for the help. Bluechick, u r amazn. Yes, I was already taking the Oxy for my back pain and my Gyn/Hyster doc told me to continue it when I got home. I was only worried about mixing the two from the last time @ hospitgal before I left, till my next pain pill Oxy, at home....@forcythia, thank u too babe. I feel so at ease here on this site. Even tho I have my hubby n daughter, u all make a difference to me. Also Forcythia, I too, thought Oxycodone was generic for Percocet....when I clear this up, I will let you know...I'm takn 1~ 4 x's a day for pain and u don't have to guess, it is chronic! I feel so bad when I walk, I hunch over because standing up straight is hell for me. The doc said I could take my bandage of today n shower, I'm just in so much pain, and nervous about it...also, has anyone ever wore a binder for support?????? My Gyn doc said I didn't need it, but I have one from a previous hernia surgery, and it helped so so much. Do you think this will HURT anything with this surgery? I'm going to wait fir at least two replys, (anxious) to know, and I will go from there......OWWY~OUCHY!!
Unread 10-25-2012, 05:16 AM

Percocet is oxycodone with Tylenol in it. That's why you can only take it every 4-6 hours. I was in that in the hospital. I had my surgery Monday and just came home yesterday. I was in so much pain the first day from walking too much that I couldn't make it th full four hours with out more Percocet. So my doctor switched me to oxycodone. Which is Percocet with no Tylenol. And you can take that every 3 hours. I hope that helped.

And when in doubt about your pain meds ALWAYS call right away! They are there to help you. It's their job. And there is nothing worse than getting behind on pain management. So please please please just call them and get it figured out so you can be comfortable. Good luck!
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Carmalita, I feel your pain!! I was in terrible pain when I first came home and I had a less invasive surgery than you. One thing to clarify - Percocet is Oxycodone that's probably why they told you not to mix them (it's like doubling up). All I can say is if your current med instructions arent cutting it for you, call the doctor!! I was so hesistant to call the dr because the nurses at the hospital gave me a hard time because percocet was not killing my pain. They acted like I was an addict or something. Eventually, I DID call the doctor and they gave me something different and I was SO much more comfortable. You just had major surgery - don't be afraid to speak up. I've called my doctor office at least five times since my surgery for different things (infection, pain, yeast infection) I don't hesitate to call. They did major surgery on you and you have the right to be treated properly with follow up care. Good luck and best wishes. P.S> The heating pad did wonders for me, too!
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:35 PM

It is very hard when you just get home from the hospital I too found I got worse when I got home from the hospital. I couldn't eat, could barely drink, couldn't go to the toilet was in terrible pain. I ended up with a bladder infection and am just getting over my 2nd one now.
But after about the 2nd week post op you do start to get much better the first couple of weeks are just hard.
Take your pain medications are prescribed . If your having trouble eating drink as much as you can I got dehydrated from not drinking enough so that was a problem.
Rest rest rest you don't have to do much at this stage take short walks around your house as you can manage it as that will help keep things moving [ bowls ]. You can get a lot of pain from gas and bowels not moving so slow walks when you can is a good idea. Get up carefully holding your stomach and lifting up off the bed as your doctors should have told you. I hope your getting lots of help you need it in the first couple of weeks. And hang on it does get better as time goes on and the time does go faster than you think. hugs xoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register