Developed bowel disease post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Developed bowel disease post op? Developed bowel disease post op?

Unread 06-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Developed bowel disease post op?

I have a very serious question and I hope that one (or more) of you ladies can help.

Have any of you developed Colitis or Crohns Disease after having a hysterectomy?

I just got home from being in the hospital for 4 days with severe diarhea, horrible abdominal pain- mostly the right side, lower back pain, and feeling sick to my stomach. My white count was high and all my other levels were too low.I had gone in last Friday due to a large amount of watery pink vaginal discharge 4 weeks post op. They tested me thinking something was wrong with my bladder and nothing came up so they sent me home with antibiotics to treat infection. By Monday I was in horrible pain and knew that the oral antibitics were not working. My doctor was clueless and had an internal med Doc come in on my case. They agreed that I had an infection, but something else was also going on. My doctor now thinks that the fluid was from colitis and that I should be tested for Crohns or some other type of inflamitory bowel disease. I'm just a bit beside myself. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank You all and Bless you,
Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2005, 09:25 AM
developed bowel disease post-op?

Hi Leslie,
Have your docs thought about the possibility of IBS? I have IBS and it was very much under control before the surgery. I have a flare-up now (3 weeks post-op). This surgery is is hard on your bladder and colon. I can imagine that this has really irritated your bowels. I see you have "chronic pain"; is this due to fibromyalgia or CFD or something else? Have you checked the www.ibsgroup.org? You may get a lot of answers there.
Blessings and hugs,
Angie
Unread 06-24-2005, 09:55 AM

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I got a pains like yours, but only after 1 week post op and my on call Dr. thought it was cloitis. I went to the ER the next day and they ordered a CT (cat scan) and they found an abcess on my right bottom pelvic area. I was put back in the Castle to aggressively treat my infection with IV antibiotics, then sent home with a weeks worth of antibiotics and a anti-infective. It took care of all my symptoms and I am cramp/pain free and having normal bm's now! Are you running a fever, I never felt hot but I took my temp anyways and it would flucuate between 99.4 to 101. Just a thought, if you think it could be an infection demand more test. I was put on amoxicillian and flagyl. Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2005, 02:22 PM

I guess I should change my chronic pain to chronic pelvic pain. My doc didn't say anything about IBS- he was leaning more towards the colitis because of all of the fluid in my abdomen. Right now I feel as if anything is possible. I have to take Flagyl and Cefzil for my antibiotics. I ran a low grade fever as well. I hope I am like you eyes4dh- that this is all in passing. I will certainly check out the IBS site, Angie. Thank you.

I'll certainly let you know if anything progresses. Thank you- it helps knowing that there is someone there who understands.

Leslie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register