If you have had a TAH and had great results - please share! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If you have had a TAH and had great results - please share! If you have had a TAH and had great results - please share!

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
If you have had a TAH and had great results - please share!

I would love to hear from the ladies that have gone down the road I'm about to take and have come through on the other side in great shape. I have lately heard "I never met anyone who has had a hysterectomy who says she wishes she hadn't done it". I know I could really use the positive stories - so please tell those of us who are in the dreaded waiting period about your experience. How long did it take before you could truly say "I feel so much better"?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:33 PM

Hi 99percentsure!

Hundreds of women have shared comments about their post-hyst life here:

Beyond the Land of Hyster

Do yourself a favor and "take a read" there!

I had an uncomplicated TAH myself five years ago, and it took me around a year to feel like myself again. That's one of the reasons I think it's important, when asking for input like you have, to get replies from members who are many months, if not many years, post-op. That's because some less-than-desirable reprecussions from the surgery can take time to make their appearance. So, women who are newly post-op and report "I feel great -- I'm so glad I did this!" might be jumping the gun in some cases.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 02-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Hi,
Well I had my TAH/BSO last Jan 16 07
Besides the surgery and gas pains I had I still felt so much better then i had for a long time , I had a huge cycstic tumor and a smaleer one on my right ovary, and fibroids and adenomyosis too, heavy bleeding and cramping and it was getting worse each month! MY sides arent hurting anymore and im not cramping and no checking my backside for break through bleeding anymore! still dont knopw how I could gush And miss the pad? The waiting is the hardest part! you will be fine! I myself have been blessed! I have no regrets of having my surgery! Have good thoughts and try to stay busy and positive! take care and let me know how your doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:39 PM

This week was my first week back at work and I work in an office lots of pressure but sit down job. I can tell you that it is a give and take and this week has been a very long week and I am very tired. It is very hard to tell if my fatigue is still the recovery process or my hormone patch but still I feel so much better than before...and a big plus I was not counting on is that my severe back pain is no longer an issue maybe that what ever had adhesions may have relieved the issue. Good luck and God Bless and I will pray for a speedy recovery.
Unread 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Hi 99percentsure....

Read your post, so wanted to also share my experience. I also had fibroids and a prolapsed uterus. I had a TAH, kept my ovaries and had a very "uncomplicated" surgery and recovery.

I was up and around doing well by the end of the 1st week, and better as time went on. I would tire easy, and be exhausted by evening tho. The swelly belly eventually went away several months down the road. By the end of the first
year, it was a if it had never happen. So Yes... there is HOPE for all.

I am glad I did it... the heavy periods drove me nuts.. My ovaries are still working fine..

I sincerely wish the same for you.

Gen
Unread 02-08-2008, 08:19 PM

When some of you say that it takes a year to feel yourself again, what do you mean by that? Do you just tire easily still or is it the incision or getting the hormones correct when ovaries are removed? This is the part that kind of scares me.
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:44 PM

Hi Hollyanne,

What I mean by being back to myself after the one year mark... is...

I do not tire out like I did, my incision is completely healed, except for a few
twinges here and there everything inside seems to be fine. Sex is great..
and the swelly belly is GONE.... My hormones seem to be fine. It was a
gradual process...tho.

I realize not all have such results, but in my case, that is the way it has turned
out.

For me, I feel like I did before the surgery, of coarse, without the menstrual
problems.

Hope that helps...

Gen
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks, Gen, for clarifying. I appreciate any and all information you ladies are willing to share.
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:05 PM

You are More than Welcome...!!

I totally understand the emotional roller coaster that you are no doubt feeling.

But, you know the day I went in, I felt amazingly calm about the whole thing.
(who knows, lack of sleep, no food, etc...lolol.) All I know, is I wasn't afraid
at the time, just emotionally drained and ready, and then bam, it was over
and I was home in no time... I didn't even use one single item I took with me...
except for my chap stick...

May you have a safe and speedy recovery......... :

Sincerely,

Gen
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:11 PM

I see you're from Indiana. Do you mind if I ask which hospital you were at if you are in or around Indianapolis? My doc practices at Community East and North although he only does surgeries at East. North would have been my preference even though it's much farther from my house. My sister was at North in ICU before she passed away and the staff there was wonderful. I guess comfort level-wise I really wanted to stick with North but I trust my doc so I guess that's all that matters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register