Fellow TVH'r's - unite! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fellow TVH'r's - unite! Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

Unread 07-30-2001, 05:20 AM
Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

Hello ladies:

A lot of the posts I read are from ladies who have had TAH or other more extensive surgery. I am trying to get a realistic feel for how my recovery will be, how I will feel after surgery etc. I can't really gauge it by the posts I read on TAH's, because I know I will not have the abdominal incision to deal with. A couple of friends I have talked to indicated that pain and recovery wasn't too bad with a TVH, and that the recovery was quite a bit easier than they expected. Any input would be appreciated!
(2 weeks today for me - AHHHH!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2001, 06:13 AM
Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

Dear SLB,
I am 2 weeks post op today, for TVH. If you want to know how the surgery etc went, look up my post under princesses tell their stories.
I feel great, been off painkillers since 4 days post op. My pain never was higher than a 4 1/2. ( and that was right after surgery).
Now us TVHers still do have alot of internal stitches, so I do take it easy, and have not lifted or vacumned or anything I'm not suppose to do. But I have taken my kids to the pool (just plopped down on a lounge chair), went to church, out to dinner, and basically have gotten my life back together. This surgery wasn't anything as I imagined. The waiting and your imagination will be your biggest enemy!!!!
I just want to stress, that probably the reason this has gone so well for me, is I have taken it easy. My MIL and husband were with me the first week. Cooking, cleaning and fetching for the kids.(I have 4 little ones). This past week, my husband did laundry, kept my kids in order with chores etc., and he cooked and shopped. He did work though, but I just took it easy while he was gone, didn't do the 5pm shuffle, if you know what I mean!!!
I respectfully say, for all the ladies who have had a difficult time with this surgery, my prayers are with you. But for the ladies who are still waiting.....relax.....it might not be what you think!!!
Unread 07-30-2001, 07:03 AM
Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

Dear Sandy,

I had my TVH 7/23, so far so good-was off the heavy stuff and managing on Advil by day4, I do find one of the "big boys" at night is helpful as I've always been a restless sleeper that toss and turn thing kind of hurts.

Actually I'm feeling pretty good at this point, but I've had to stop myself more than once from going overboard -I got a little too bold day 3 post op and paid for it that evening and the next day.

My advice, let yourself take it easy and be still, I know it's easier said than done! I'm one of those hyper types, but I figure it'll all still be there when I'm ready to deal with it.

If the rest of the recovery goes this well I'll be a happy camper! It really wasn't that bad. Ok, I'm not saying I'd be thrilled to do it again! Not much worse than what I've been living with, and at the end of the line there will be the new healthy me!!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2001, 07:11 AM
Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

Hello,I had a TVH 6 days and except for not being able to sit properly(rectecele repair),I feel really good.I have to take it easy and I was up too long yesterday.My sister and DH are trying to make me an invalid and my doctor said to move around a lot so I am doing a little of both.I don't have a problem with swelly belly and am trying to not get constipated.I am a runner and never had a problem with that as long as I jog but it will be a while before I am back to that point.I slept better last night than I have in weeks and I hope that continues.I was in more pain than I expected right after surgery and I didn't think the medication did what thought it would,either.But that didn't last long and I was home in 36 hours.In 48 hours I was down to OTC meds.I take aleve am & pm and sometimes percogesec afternoons(for some reason that stuff makes me relax more than anything) and to sleep.I eat first.I have been drinking tons of water , peach tea,and lemonade.Today I will attack that watermelon when my help gets here to cut it for me.I am SO happy to not have that abdominal incision. Before I didn't care at all what he did-just get it done-but now I am happy about that.Prayers to you.
Unread 07-30-2001, 07:51 AM
Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

Thanks for the responses! One question - did any of you have to go up stairs your first night home? My bedroom is upstairs, and obviously I have to get up there. I can stay there once I get there - I have a tv., computer and bathroom up there. Will I need an air lift? (ha, ha)
Unread 07-30-2001, 07:53 AM
Stomach Incision

I had TAH on 7/27. My surgery so far went fine. I am home on not on alot of pain meds. The problem I have is some numbness in stomach and thighs. My doctor told me some nerves were cut it this normal could take a couple of months to heal. Other than that I feel great as matter of fact I am ready to get up do a lot of things but I know I can't. Good luck on your surgery. Everyone is correct the waiting for the surgery is the worst part. You will do fine my prays are with you.

TAH (left with ovaries)
Unread 07-30-2001, 08:19 AM
Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

Dear Sandy,

How many steps?? I have 6 to get to the main floor of the house. It wasn't bad, I just took it really, really slow.

I braved them yesterday to go into the basement, again really slowly, probably not the wisest choice I'm told, but not so bad.

Just don't carry anything and go one step at a time and stop inbetween, you'll be fine..or if you prefer have DH carry you up Actually that bending thing probably would hurt worse!

You'll be fine!
Unread 07-30-2001, 08:19 AM
Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

I am 6 weeks from my TVH today! Yippee!

I had an appendectomy about 20 years ago. I felt a lot worse from that in the early days post-op than I did from the TVH. BUT...

You will see it repeated over and over here and it is true: The recovery time is pretty much the same for either TVH or TAH. Both are major surgeries, you have tons of stitches inside, and eventually those internal stitches will begin to dissolve. So don't overdo it, no matter how great you feel in those early days.

The instructions my Doctor sent home from the Castle with me limited my lifting weight to 25 lbs. I limited myself to the weight of a jug of milk. If I tried anything heavier, I could feel it pulling a little bit, so I backed off. I was told vacuuming = 25 lbs., and carrying a full basket of wet laundry = 25 lbs. Absolutely avoid those activities. (At last, an excuse to avoid all housework!)

For me, I "felt" the surgery the most during the time period between 2 and 1/2 to 3 and 1/2 weeks post-op. At 5 weeks, I had my checkup with the Doctor. I was surprised that I was still very sore, which made the internal exam a little unpleasant. Although the Doctor sent me back to work (full time, but light duty) the very next day, she recommended that I avoid intercourse for 3 more weeks (until week 8) because I was too sore "up there" for it.

I survived last week at work, but at times even the light duty seemed too much. I was SO tired by the time my shift was over, it was all I could do to get undressed to fall into bed. My body is still healing, and I took it as easy as possible during the time I had at home to recover, so I'm not used to being active for 8 hours at a stretch.

I would avoid the stairs as much as possible, if I were you. Climbing them places a lot of strain on your abdominal muscles. Why take a chance on causing yourself discomfort if you can avoid it? Try to plan your activities so that you don't have to make frequent trips up and down those stairs.

Take frequent short walks during your recovery, when you feel up to it. Always follow each walk with a period of resting with your feet up. I found that walking helped to reduce the boredom, and it's good for the circulation and for fighting off those dreaded gas pains. Again, don't overdo it with this activity, either. Early recovery is not the time to build up to walking 2 miles per day.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Soon you will be feeling much better!

-Kim in Iowa
Unread 07-30-2001, 11:30 AM
Fellow TVH'r's - unite!

Hi Sandy, I had my tvh almost 3 months ago. I live in a 2 story house. I did very well with surgery and recovery. Really had no pain to complain about, just twinges. I had no problems with stairs. I did try to make as little as possible trips up and down, but I wouldn't say they caused any problems. I was a really good princess and rested all the time. I got bored and tired of doing nothing, but I believe this is why I healed so well. All in all, I can say surgery and recovery was alot easier than I thought it was going to be. The fear of the unknown is what scared me. I wish my experience with surgery to be the same for you. Good luck and a speedy and painfree recovery to you. Jan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register