Ovaries asleep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries asleep? Ovaries asleep?

Unread 02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Ovaries asleep?

please, any advice out there. I had total hyst. with abdominal surgery. As I kept my ovaries, I am a bit confused as to why I had Menopausal symtoms last night. I have read that sometimes the ovaries go to sleep for a while after such surgery and when they wake its supposed to be quite painful!!!!!!! What will happen to me now, as my consultant and after care were useless and i left the hospital feeling very difflated. My wound wasnt even checked before I left!!!!!! No pain med was prescribed and basically I was left to get on with it. Has anyone else experienced the same as me. Any advice would be truly grateful as I am very very confused!!!! Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Ovaries asleep?

I kept my ovaries and have had night sweats a number of times since my surgery. I think the swelling & trauma from the surgery impairs the functions of the ovaries, usually temporarily. I've not heard of any pain associated with ovaries "waking up". Mine have not given me any problems that I've noticed.

Also, it is possible for the surgeon to inadvertently sever the blood supply to the ovaries during surgery which would render them useless, even though they weren't removed.

It seems odd they didn't prescribe any pain meds for you. If you're in pain that isn't relieved by non-prescription medication, you should call your doctor and ask for some. Don't ever assume that treatment will be given unless you make your needs clear.

I know the health care system is different in England than the U.S., but you can certainly experience the same kind of indifferent care here, depending on the hospital and even the nurse you get during your hospital stay.

Write down a list of any questions you have when you call your doctor's office and go through the whole list of questions when you talk to them. That way they can't distract you from your purpose when you call. Hyster sisters can be a lot of help on some issues, but any alarming symptoms or complications and issues like not being given pain meds have to be addressed with your doctor.

I've even heard of health care providers (not your doctors but hospital employees) stealing the pain prescription so that they can either use the drugs themselves or sell them. The doctor may have written a prescription that never made it's way to you.
Unread 02-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Ovaries asleep?

Hi Sarah!

There is an article in the Post-Op Articles archive that I think you might find helpful:

Ovaries Shut Down?

I hope your ovaries awaken and that you are feeling better very soon!

Many s and Best Wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register