Not Scheduled I schedule my surgery next week. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I schedule my surgery next week. I schedule my surgery next week.

Unread 11-27-2015, 02:28 PM
I schedule my surgery next week.

Hi

I'm 27 with 3 beautiful daughters. I schedule my surgery on the 2nd & I'm very nervous. I've been an emotional wreck just trying to wrap my head around it. I hate being put to sleep. How long will my recovery take? How bad is the pain afterwards? Any advice? Thanks😔
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Re: I schedule my surgery next week.

Good luck to you! My surgery is on the 2nd as well.
Unread 11-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Re: I schedule my surgery next week.

Hi Jerrica3359 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site!

First off, your feelings, emotions, nerves and anxiety are very normal. Having a hysterectomy is such an overwhelming experience. You are right - it is hard to wrap your brain around it.

What type of surgery are you having? Recovery is different for everyone, but you have to think in terms of weeks and not days. No matter how they enter your tummy, you have lots of internal healing to do. You will need to take time off work. How long depends on how fast you heal and your job requirements. But, again think weeks and not days. Here is an article on Hysterectomy Recovery Time. You will also need help with your little ones, and you will need help around the house with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. Can family or friends help you at all?

Pain is different for everyone. When you wake up from surgery, they will ask you how much pain you are in. You will tell them, and they will give you meds to match. For me (I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with 6 inch vertical incision), the pain was moderate to high moderate. It was controllable with narcotics.

Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. You do not have much time, so make a list of what is most important and accomplish those items. Let the rest go.

Finally, you are very young to be having this surgery. May I ask why you are having it done? You have to way the pros and cons of this surgery with your current health condition. If you have not done so already, you may want to consider getting alternate opinions on your condition. Bottom line, make the right decision for you.

Just know that you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2015, 10:49 AM
I schedule my surgery next week.

Hi Jerrica3359, welcome to Hystersisters!
The way you feel is perfectly normal. Having a hysterectomy is a big deal, and it's a lot to digest. We've all been through this, and we're ready to support you every step of the way! If you haven't already done so, check our pre-op articles, which will tell you everything you need to know; if you still have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us, 24/7. As for being put to sleep, that was a big deal for me too. My pre-op screening was rather thorough, and included a talk with the anaesthesiologist, which left me feeling that I would be well looked after, and nothing would go wrong. And you may not remember anything about it; for me, it seemed like one minute, I was lying on the operating table, then the next minute, I was waking up in recovery. So I think you'll be just fine. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register