Pre-op vs post op boards | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op vs post op boards Pre-op vs post op boards

Unread 12-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Pre-op vs post op boards

Hi LIW !! I was reading the post-op board and they were discussing positive postings for post-op. I wanted to respond to them, to let them know that as a LIW I read both Pre op and post op, but since I am not post-op I cannot respond in that thread yet.

So I'm voicing it here:
As I prepare for my trip tomorrow, I must say that this thread is timely. I have spent some time reading the Post-op page during my LIW status. But I think I should have spent a bit more. I was worried about reading the Post Op pages, thinking I shouldn't be looking at this for some reason. However, reading the postings has prepared me for some of the things yet to come during the healing process.

As a LIW you spend your time reading the Pre-op page and for me writing my journal and reading aching hearts. My DH said why aren't you reading about the women who just got through this surgery in the post op page? See, I'm more concerned about post-op recovery than with the actual surgery. I've had some pretty major surgeries before, so I'm all good with that. It's the afterwards that's making me nervous.

I would like to suggest that all LIW should be encouraged to read pre and post op pages. I would also like to say that most postings have been about complications - in the pre-op section a LIW mentioned this, and someone replied that most women who have positive experiences stop posting. SOmeone on the Post op site mentioned that positive experiences should not pursuade you to have the surgery. We need to read both sides of the recovery process - good and bad! I need to be prepared for all aspects of my recovery. I made this choice as a result of many days of crying, hurting and talking with my DH, my Doctor and God. I know it's not a walk in the park, but I also believe that it is also not always a bad experience. Hearing both sides helps me find the middle common ground and take in the experience as a whole person.

I am a firm believer in being aware of what you are about to do and what will happen after. Obviously some things cannot be prepared for, but many can. By reading pre-op, I became more confident about who I am, about the choice I had made and that I was not alone in my fears and concerns. By reading aching hearts, I found others out there just like me, hurting and feeling the same way, which helped me no longer hate myself. By reading the post-op I became aware of things I should experience after surgery, how to handle them, when they are OK ("normal"), and to follow your inner voice about going to the ER to get help.

Ladies, I encourage you to explore the site completely. I'm now reading the Hormone Jungle site to get ready for that new road as well.

God Bless Hyster Sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Pre-op vs post op boards

Well said!
I did read all forums before my surgery, and indeed the post-op area made me feel more prepared. I have had some relatively minor complications but without my prior knowledge gained here, I wouldn't have "caught" them as early as I did
Kudos to all the sisters who take part in discussions here and to those who monitor the site!!
Unread 12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Pre-op vs post op boards

I don't know. I was just reading the post op board again and it's making me nervous. Eek

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register