photos from surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

photos from surgery photos from surgery

Unread 08-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Re: photos from surgery

I forgot to ask my doctor about photos at pre-op yesterday, but I want to see them... I will ask before surgery. I told my husband to remind me. If no photos, I want an exact description with size, weight, every detail. Is that all in the surgical report, or in the pathology report? I have to remember to ask all this tomorrow. I just want to know what's been going on in there. I'm glad it's not a completely unusual request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2012, 10:32 AM

I haven't had a hysterectomy (yet, anyway) but I did ask for copies of the photos from my Laparoscopy and he was happy to give them to me. It was just outpatient and he even gave them to my husband as soon as the procedure was over and came back after I woke up to explain what is what (even though even that is a little fuzzy in my memory because of the drugs).

So I think it's perfectly acceptable! I wanted them out of curiosity myself and to send to my mom because she was a nurse and enjoys seeing that sort of thing.
Unread 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM

The doc that was discharging me from the hospital showed me all the pics. I didn't even ask..he asked me if I wanted to see them. I was suprised that something that caused so much pain looked so healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2012, 11:29 AM

I'm a little over a yr post op. I requested photos of fibroids, I wanted to see the mass in my uterus I had been carrying around for yrs. He told me he usually doesn't take photo's but that he would try. He ended up taking an excellent photo with is cell phone of my fibroids on a table with ruler showing measurement...pretty gross.
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:07 PM

I, too, requested a picture so that I could see the monster that she took out of me. Gotta love cell phone cameras! She e-mailed it to me from the O.R. even though I didn't see it until much later.
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:32 PM

I didn't even have to ask for them although I was going to right before surgery since I got pictures of both my laps in the past. When I woke up my husband had 3 pages full of pictures. I can't tell you what they all are, but my doctor said he would explain every one at my post op appointment. I can't wait to know what I am looking at! I would ask for pictures. It is so neat to see.
Unread 08-30-2012, 03:13 AM

My doc showed pics to my family immediately after surgery and gave them to me before I left the hospital. She told me what they were while I was in the hospital, but I can't remember what she said. She also gave me her op report at my follow up visit. I am a medical transcriptionist and it was weird reading a report that was about me!
Unread 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM

I totally asked for pictures of mine! My doc was happy to comply, but she did ask me to bring a disposable camera since the lab camera had been stolen.

At my first pre-op appointment last week, I brought the photos along and she explained what was what. I was glad I saw them; it was validating to see the sizes and shapes of those little buggers (fibroids) and know for sure that they corresponded to where the aches and pains were in my belly pre-op.

Before my surgery, I thought that, given how big my uterus was, it might be chopped up, with the fibroids falling off of it, but, no, they were apparently able to remove the whole shebang at once.

Oh, and don't forget to ask for your pathology report. It should tell you how much your uterus weighs and other fascinating details!

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 08-30-2012, 04:22 PM

My doc even offered me a copy of the dvd since he records all of his surgeries. Didn't want it at first, but after a few days of thinking about it I thought it would be neat to watch at least once.

Same doctor let hubs photograph my emergency c-section and we have a great photo of her getting pulled out; literally her first moment.

I figure these can be some little memento of the six year struggles 'we' have gone through together
Unread 08-30-2012, 08:58 PM

I just want to see my chest x-ray film. I had double mastectomies in April and have saline-filled tissue expanders in place. Iwant to see if there are any goldfish swimming in there!!! LOL!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register