Time off from work question - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time off from work question Time off from work question

Unread 05-25-2006, 01:38 AM
Time off from work question

Hi, I'm two weeks out and from everything I've heard - do not commit to going back early. You can always change your mind later.

I'm already able to be on the computer a little at 2 weeks, but some days are worse than the others and pain doesn't let you concentrate. My doctor told me to take 6 to 8 weeks (TAV/BSO) because it is critical that you allow your body to heal. She also said your mind heals quicker than your body, and that is dangerous because you may overextend yourself. If you can spend this time concentrating on your healing it can't hurt!

Firefly123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2006, 08:17 AM

Everyone heals differently. I consider myself to have recuperated quickly, but NOTHING compared to 100792...you go girl.

You will take it a day (sometimes an hour) at a time. Some days you will think you can't possibly get out of bed, other days you will feel like you could conquer the world, but you shouldn't do that right away because of repurcussions.

Take your time to heal, things can happen later that could require more surgery (adhesions, cuff problems, etc.) You don't want to jeopardize your health and your well being.

Good luck to you. T.
Unread 05-25-2006, 09:55 AM

I would shoot for the longest possible time and then change it later. Your doctor will go by whatever you feel. In my case, I had some unexpected set backs. Bronchitous, sinus infection, urinary tract infection(2 times) and then a yeast infection. At 3 weeks I had to write a research paper for my graduate class and I would sit at the computer until my insision hurt and then I would stop. It took a whole week to get it typed, but I did it. I had my surgery on April 5th and decided not to return to work because I am not 100% up to it. I teach 6th grade langauage arts and the kids are too much work at the end of a school year. Since I need to be 200% this time of year, I am not risking it.My doctor agrees and is supportive. He told me the 6 week idea was created mostly by employers who will only hold your job for 6 weeks and insurance companies. He said even though a lot of healing has taken place in 6 weeks, everyone is not ready to return to the demands of a job at that point. I will be returning to work on August 10th. You just follow the lead of your body. It will let you know, I promise!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2006, 11:20 AM

I know at 3 wks I couldn't sit for too long in a chair without paying for it in the way of bad tailbone pain. If your work is willing to let you "log in when you can" type deal, then I'd talk it over with your Dr and see. While I can't do it w/ my current job, I did have a job where I was out for 3 months and they allowed me to do my "inputting" whenever I wanted, as long as the servers were up )

Again, don't forget to check w/ your Dr too, as he/she will have the info on any specifics that might be happening during your surgery that may/may not effect working from home.
Unread 05-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Time Off

Hi

Just a response to your post:

I have been since my surgery since May 8th. I am doing little chores around the house and receiving/processing some email, but to a limited extent as I am not very comfortable sitting for a lengthy period of time. I had a laparoscop hysterectomy (overaries, fallopian tubes and bladder repair vaginally). I find myself getting tired quickly, but don't think there's anything wrong with doing a little computer work in bed. I would suggest to keeping it in short intervals, though!!

My stitches outside maybe healing quickly but internally, it takes a lot longer so I need to be careful.

Hope that helps

venezia
Unread 05-25-2006, 01:37 PM

Hello. Please do not pressure yourself. Let everything go and . Tiredness comes easy. You may need the entire 6 weeks to have it all together.
Good Luck.
Unread 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM

...the 6 week idea was created mostly by employers who will only hold your job for 6 weeks and insurance companies. He said even though a lot of healing has taken place in 6 weeks, everyone is not ready to return to the demands of a job at that point.
OOOOOH! Doesn't that make anyone else FURIOUS?!?! sorry, just had to get that out. Please, continue.
Unread 05-25-2006, 01:52 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone! I am not commiting to anything right now, but just want to know basically what I might expect. This has been a good scattering of answers so it really has helped!
Unread 05-29-2006, 08:44 PM
My doctor told my employer 4 weeks

I turned in paper work for Short Term Disabillity for 6 weeks thinking that would be safe. I will be having a vaginal hysterectomy on June 1. When my doctor was contacted by my employer he stated 4 weeks. I was really irritated because I told him I put in for 6 weeks and he said that was fine. So I am set up with STD for the 4 weeks and taking 1 week of my own time. Thankfully my boss is extremely understanding and he said that we will work things out if I am not ready to come back full time by working part time or working from home. I am hoping all goes well and it is a moot point. I had gall bladder surgery about 4 years ago and went back to work after a week although I wish I had taken two.
Unread 05-30-2006, 01:24 AM

I had a TVH 2 weeks ago. I am taking 10 weeks off, but my job is physically demanding, i look after small children. Like the other sisters said...you won't know really until you see how you are feeling. Best wishes to you. I cant beleive your employer called your doctor!!! How dare they! Im discusted with that! Tracey x x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register