Fighting for hysterectomy - doctor recommends IUD | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fighting for hysterectomy - doctor recommends IUD Fighting for hysterectomy - doctor recommends IUD

Unread 04-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Fighting for hysterectomy - doctor recommends IUD

Hello

My sister who had a hysterectomy told me about this site so I just joined today to hear from women who have had a hysterectomy. What they think? Are they happier? I am fighting with my doctor for a hysterectomy who instead put me on pills which isn't working. He told me today he wants to give me and IUD then possible hysterectomy. I told him no there are more risks then cures with an IUD and said I seriously doubt men would agree to have something like this inserted in them. I also have fibroids and cyst which hurt throughout the month. I clot and have severe pain and bleeding and have been miserable since I was 13. I am now 39 and I am done having children.

Is this family related? When I asked my doctor it wasn't a straight answer. I just found out my grandmother had a hysterectomy when she was 30, I also have two sisters that had a hysterectomy as well. I also have family history of cancers, my aunt had ovarian cancer.

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Re: Fighting for hysterectomy - doctor recommends IUD

I think your doctor just wants to cover all basis before doing the surgery. I would try the IUD I heard if it works it can be wonderful. I tried it and it didn't work for me. So you don't have much to lose if you try it and it doesn't work then you get the hysterectomy.
I had to humor my doctor for lots of things to get the Hysterectomy and to tell you the truth what kind of doctor would he be if he just jumped to surgery automatically.
Best of luck!
Lisa
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM

I agree, try the IUD before moving to hysterectomy.

It didn't work for me but my insides are pretty messed up. For some women it really is a lifesaver.

It's always best to start with the least invasive treatment and work up if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbear9498 View Post
My sister who had a hysterectomy told me about this site so I just joined today to hear from women who have had a hysterectomy. What they think? Are they happier?
Depends on who you ask. There is a current thread by a member who regrets it completely. Until after a hysterectomy, you can't know if you will be her or one who has no regrets.
  Quote:
I told him no there are more risks then cures with an IUD...
Are you sure? My sister is using it very successfully right now. It can help with the issues you have stated you are dealing with. Also, have you looked at the risks vs. cures for a hysterectomy? At least the IUD is reversible; a hysterectomy is permanent and there is no going back. You might want to read these articles:
Hysterectomy Complications
Hysterectomy Side Effects

Quote:
...and said I seriously doubt men would agree to have something like this inserted in them.
Actually, as someone with male family members and friends who have had issues relating to the male reproductive and urological system, you would be very surprised to find out to what lengths they go and what they do have inserted for their treatments. They deal with very unpleasant issues and treatments, too.

Quote:
Is this family related? When I asked my doctor it wasn't a straight answer.
There isn't a straight answer. If you want to know for sure, you could seek genetic counseling but you would need some specific details about your family members. I know more than one who would gladly have something like an IUD rather than face they surgeries they have had.

Quote:
I also have family history of cancers, my aunt had ovarian cancer.
Having family members with cancer doesn't mean you have a genetic risk for them. However, if you are concerned you should talk to a genetic counselor to find out your true risk so you can make an appropriate decision. Removing the uterus won't decrease your risk of ovarian cancer, and removing the ovaries comes with a long list of new health risks so they shouldn't be removed unless there is a true cancer risk for you.

I know this can all be frustrating. When you are miserable, you just want it to be over with which is completely understandable. However, a hysterectomy is a major surgery that comes with a lot of risks and side effects, so you and your medical team have to determine the pros outweigh the cons for you and you are willing to take a chance regarding the risks.

I wish you well and hope you find a medical team who can help you feel your best soon!

Unread 04-10-2014, 04:46 PM

The two Doctors I saw, it was the first thing out of there mouth. Next option was D and C with ablation. We are done having children, do not like hormones, I'm pushing the wrong side of 50 lol.
My second opinion booked me for the D and C and was told to think about it. That was Oct 2013.
Bleeding every 2 weeks, in Jan Husband and I went back and switched the D and C to a hysterectomy. She was great giving me all the options, giving me time to decide.

IUD's are a great alternative for some people, my younger sister is one. My co worker had a huge problem and her body expelled it a week before my surgery. Research, research, get second, third opinions. Then make your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register