Newbie and lots of questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie and lots of questions Newbie and lots of questions

Unread 05-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Newbie and lots of questions

Hi Ladies,
I am a newbie and I really enjoy reading everyones comments and concern, everyone has given me comfort with my concerns and answered many of my questions.

My major concern is, I am not sure my family and friends realize what a major surgery I will be having and that I will be limited on what I can and can not do. How do I get it into there heads? I am very involved in our small community and everyone just keeps assuming I will be doing everything with Little League, PTA. football practice and etc...

Also, does anyone think I will be able to telecommute from my home, or will I even have the energy to do so? I am the manager of a Agriculture business and need to keep a watchful eye on inventory. I have made arrangements for someone to come in and do payroll and AP/AR. Will I really be off for 8 weeks?

Yes, I am a control freak and need to have my hands into everything. I want everthing to be perfect and I am not sure, how I am going to handle not being able to get up and do it myself. I am trying to learn to chill out. Any advise would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 11:48 AM

Hi Connie
I found some excellent articles here at hystersisters. Just check under pre-op articles found on the home page. I believe there's lots of info there that you can print out for friends and family to read. They all need to understand how major this is. No, you won't be able to have your hands in everything for quite some time.

I would say that you owe it to yourself to just rest for the 6-8 weeks following surgery. Yes you may feel up to doing a couple of hours work per day after a few weeks. However, it is really important that you take it easy....You only have one chance to heal properly, so you want to do it right. Your doc will discuss your restrictions with you following surgery.

I'm wishing you the best for an uneventful surgery and recovery.

s
Tam
Unread 05-17-2004, 01:07 PM

Hi Connie,

Welcome!! You'll get so much support and information on this site. It's a great resource.

Tam has some very good advice about reading the pre-op articles. And she's also right about owing it to yourself to just rest for 6-8 weeks after surgery.

I had my surgery 6 days ago and I'm up and around, yes, but believe it when people tell you how exhausted you'll get, and how quickly! This morning was my most active, and all I did was go upstairs and walk around; sit in my office for a few minutes; take a shower, etc. Then I came downstairs and dusted the master bedroom, made the bed, straightened up the master bedroom, and just generally tidied up downstairs.

Two weeks ago this would have been a drop in the bucket for me, but today it took all morning! I'm normally a very active person. I do freelance work from home, and I do volunteer work in another city twice a week. I'm always on the go! About working from home -- sure, I'd say it's very possible, theoretically. But you might feel tired and fatigued after your surgery and not really into it. I stopped accepting work well before my surgery date, and am finding now that on the computer, Sim City 4 and Lord of the Rings are "work" enough for me these days!

Again, Tam is right when she says you only have one chance to heal properly. I like things done a certain way too, but I'm finding now that the way my husband cooks/cleans/dusts/vacuums/does laundry is just wonderful !!

But aside from what I say -- ASK YOUR what you can and cannot do, if you have ANY question about it! Please don't take my advice in the place of your doctor's. Everyone heals at their own pace, and everyone is different.

I know I'll resume my active life soon enough, and so will you.

Best wishes to you, and my prayers and support are with you too!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 02:10 PM

I am 2 weeks post-op .. will be off a total of 5 weeks. I had vaginal surgery which isn't as invasive as abdominal. My doctor gave me the "OK" to work one hour/day from home starting today. I plop lots of pillows on the couch and put the laptop on my legs and do OK. I still barely move from the couch though .. when they say "do nothing" they really mean it!
Best of luck to you.
Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register