How do I get my dr. to do a hysterectomy? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I get my dr. to do a hysterectomy? How do I get my dr. to do a hysterectomy?

Unread 07-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Re: How do I get my dr. to do a hysterectomy?

Hi Izzybeff.

I'm so sorry your weekend plans have to be changed. What's your iron level? Are you on oral iron, if I may be so nosey? Don't have experience with hysters but much experience with anemia and some of the side effects of oral iron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunches1 View Post
Hi Izzybeff.

I'm so sorry your weekend plans have to be changed. What's your iron level? Are you on oral iron, if I may be so nosey? Don't have experience with hysters but much experience with anemia and some of the side effects of oral iron.
No iron, it's low for me, but not low overall. It was 15 last time I was there, it was 11 yesterday. For some reason, it's never very low, even when i've been bleeding for a long time.
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:56 AM

Hi Izzybeff.

I hope you're feeling better today. Regarding the cauterizing, apparently it's pretty effective in stopping bleeding when doctors know what they are doing. I was told last week by my ENT that if my nosebleeds continue she would go in and cauterize the vessels since I have an anemia problem and losing more blood could create more issues. I declined since I don't want her to go into my nostril, but from people who have had it done correct it can be pretty effective. I think the D&C will ease your mind too because at this point you have to be somewhat stressed over the organic cause of your bleeding and cramping. You must also be sick and tired of pain meds and all the inconveniences that have to be bombarding you at this point.

The reason I asked about your iron levels and the oral iron is because anytime I've been on oral iron my bleeding was increased. Your iron level seems pretty high for the continual bleeding you are having...in general. I was just thinking that if you are taking the iron that maybe it is causing you to bleed continually--has that effect on lots of people and has happened to me. While your level is pretty good for your circumstances, in general, maybe you the individual is still low on iron since it dropped pretty significantly since your last visit.

You may want to keep an eye on things like heartbeat, near-fainting, etc. since they can suddenly come on you when you bleed the way you are doing. From 15 to 11 is a good drop and if your symptoms escalate you can go into the ER to get your iron, heartbeat, and blood pressure checked. A week is a long time to bleed and this bleeding is not normal although you may becoming accustomed to the inconveniences and may miss symptoms that you are losing too much blood. Sometimes ER docs will refer you to followup with cancer centers since they specialize in treating blood issues. I have learned that there are a ton of bleeding disorders that are noncancerous and non life threatening but they can significantly diminish our quality of life.

It's easy for me to say 'hang in there' since when we have no choice we do that which we are forced by circumstances to do, but if issues do arise while you are awaiting your appointment and you are uncertain as to if you want to go into the ER, you can always post a new question here and I am confident that those on these boards will have some relevant insight for you to consider.

Keep us posted on how things go and I hope the doctor finds the cause of the bleeding and is able to cauterize the vessel. I think there is a good probability that it will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2010, 06:19 AM

Izzybeff,
If the cramps are so bad that the meds aren't helping you may want to call your doc or go to er. I had just read your post about this and I really feel for you. I know how frustrating this has to be so hopefully the D&C will work for you. I know it is hard to go to another doctor but sometimes that is what you have to do. I ended up travelling over an hour to see my surgeon because everyone else was telling me I was either too young(45) or didn't really need it. I can tell you that being in pain 24/7 was no fun and being on pain meds wasn't a solution because I had a hard time functioning. I hope you feel better soon. Sending tons of
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:30 AM

Well I had my D&C on Monday. The dr. ended up doing a partial ablation at the same time. She talked to my husband after the surgery, but was already gone back to her office for appointments before I came out of recovery.

She said that she ended up cauterizing far more than she originally thought she would. She did everything she could reach I guess. She couldn't reach the top of my uterus though, so we'll see.

I go in next Thursday for follow up. All in all, it wasn't too bad. I was more embarrassed than anything because i was bleeding and cramping really heavily at the hospital before the surgery. She was running an hour late because her first surgery took longer than they thought it would. By then I had bled all over the place. Nurse kept telling me it was no big deal. I was still bleeding lightly after the procedure. By Monday night it was pretty much down to spotting and i'm still spotting this morning. I haven't been in a terrible amount of pain, just a small amount of cramping.

Dr. told Dh I shouldn't go back to work till Thursday, so i'm still home, but ready to go back as I was cooped up at home all weekend because of the heavy bleeding.

I will be interested to see if this keeps me from bleeding. I'm also interested in hearing what the results are from the lab from what they took out.

Worst part of it all is how sore my throat is from the stupid tube they put down it. I've never had anethesia before and wasn't expecting to have a sore throat after.
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi Izzybeff.

How are you feeling...do you feel better? I'm so glad that this one thing is behind you so that if you do need a hyster you are at least one step closer, but I also think this procedure may help you a lot. I know it seems easy for me to say, but those nurses see lots of issues like uncontrolled bleeding so even though you were embarrassed, it's nothing to them. (If it makes you feel better I pooped on them during giving birth to my last son ) It's also the nature of their jobs and it was also the catalyst behind you needing the procedure/s that you had so don't even think about it anymore.

Enjoy the time off work because once you're back in there you'll probably look back on the recovery days with fond memories of relaxing I really really hope this works for you so that you are able to get back into life and live as fully as you deserve. You've been through a lot.

Here's to hoping this procedure works for the longterm!
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunches1 View Post
Hi Izzybeff.

How are you feeling...do you feel better? !
Yes.. I'm just hoping my energy level increases. I was just so tired before the procedure and would really like to get back to the full swing of things, but know it's going to take me awhile.

My mom told me the same thing about the blood. She works in the competing hospital to the one I had mine done in and she says they see that everyday and not to worry about it at all.

I just hold my breath every time I go to the bathroom, keep expecting to see the blood and clots, ya know. It's been so long with it that to be without it is odd. I still do have some spotting, but I can handle that.

I do have some cramping and hadn't taken any pain medication since last night and my DH told me I was being silly and to take some. So I did and now i'm feeling really tired so I think i'm going to spend some time resting.

I was just so happy to get some dishes done this morning, take a shower and put in a load of laundry. Otherwise my house is going to be horrible. DH's cleaning standards and mine are very different!

I'm praying that this makes the difference I need.
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:42 AM

i had a good 3-4mth bleed after i had an opinion to have an ablation or hysto done.

when i went for my 2nd i got judged for being bipolar and my tubes r tied and i have 3 kids already.

Dr's try to cover themselves, us young ones having hysto's worries them right away.

personally if i will be healthier and feel better having a hysto i am up for it. Living the life i live is difficult, it is worse since the leep last year.

I am sure u will find the right dr for u.

i really r'mend counselling first and after. i have already had a pysch session to ensure i really want this for the right reasons.

all the best hun.
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM

Well things have gone from bad to worse. Wednesday night I started bleeding with small clots. Called the dr. yesterday and she said that is totally normal. Umm. thanks, not what I wanted to hear. I have an appt. on Tuesday i'm insisting on a hysterectomy. I can no longer live life like this.

I just bled through the pad I had on onto my pants and everything and of course i'm at work. Can't use tampons for another week.
Unread 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Hi Izzybeff.

In the interim since your last post I hope the bleeding has lightened up. I am not an advocate of surgery--at all!--but something has to be done to stop all that bleeding--it's just not normal. Will the doctor have the results of the biopsy of your uterine tissue/s when you return to the doctor on Tuesday? If noncancerous tissue is the pathology, then maybe a hyster will remedy the situation--that's just a lot of bleeding, it seems to me anyway. Does the doctor have reasonably valid reasons for not performing a hysterectomy at this point?

As a person who suffers from chronic anemia w/o knowledge of internal bleeding, I don't know how you keep going w/o having some iron infused or a blood transfusion unless it appears that you are losing more blood than you actually are. Bleeding nonstop for so long is frightening for you...isn't it? If you and the doc know it's from your uterus I sort of don't understand the doctor's delay unless s/he has a history of poor surgical performance???... It just seems so strange, to me even though I'm a layperson, that the doctor seems to be taking your prolonged bleeding so nonchalantly, as if it should be happening...just strange to me. Maybe you should see a hematologist or a gyn-onc?

Keep us posted on what happens. Maybe someone here with the same history can make more applicable recommendations than me, but this seems extreme.

I hope this bleeding GOES AWAY so that you can enjoy your life.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register