New to chemo treatments after hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to chemo treatments after hysterectomy New to chemo treatments after hysterectomy

Unread 11-12-2006, 10:42 AM
New to chemo treatments after hysterectomy

I also had "preventative" Taxol/Carbo - 6 treatments.

I've only heard of the sisters' suffering from constipation during chemo, but I had to be different and deal with diarrhea. I was fortunate enough to be able to treat my nausea only when it affected me (the Zofran was that good for me) so I suppose that was what saved me from the constipation. Also most of the women who suffered from bone pain only had mild cases treatable with ibuprofen. Mine was much more severe but Celebrex taken for 4-5 days after chemo day helped quite a bit - along with heat on the sore areas. (mostly my knees and lower legs but occasionally my wrists and hands)

Whatever comes up for you during your treatments, make sure to tell your chemo team and they'll do their best to make you comfortable.

As Laura (sptgplyr) has said, you're going to make it through this just fine. It's definitely not fun but you can do it. We're here to help whenever you need it.

Good luck on Tuesday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2006, 04:59 PM

I had considerable bone pain and numbness from my carbo/taxol treatments that lasted well into the next four months or so, especially with steps, walking up inclines or standing for long periods. I only took ibuprofen, though, because I didn't like the foggy brain that the pain meds gave me, so I chose to deal with the discomfort. The ibuprofen did take the edge of the pain and make it bearable.

Good luck on Monday.
Unread 11-12-2006, 07:42 PM

Thanks so much everyone.. What better place to be than here, on this website, getting responses from sisters who know what it's like. I find comfort in all your stories. I'm ready for Tuesday. And think.. when Tuesday is done, I only have 5 more treatments. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2006, 06:50 PM

Chemo went fine yesterday. I got some pretty powerful anti nausea drugs and have felt no side effects today so far.. a little dryness in my mouth but otherwise feel just fine. We'll see what the rest of the week brings; however, I'm ready for what comes my way. I look at this chemo as a wonderful insurance policy for my body.
Unread 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyvt
Chemo went fine yesterday. I got some pretty powerful anti nausea drugs and have felt no side effects today so far.. a little dryness in my mouth but otherwise feel just fine. We'll see what the rest of the week brings; however, I'm ready for what comes my way. I look at this chemo as a wonderful insurance policy for my body.
That's a good attitude libbyvt, you can make it through this. I have found the first treatment generally sets the pattern for effects of each subsequent treatment for me, right down to the hour of feeling the effects. Now you know what to expect for the rest.
Unread 11-15-2006, 08:00 PM

Hi Libby,

glad to hear that all went well. Got that first one out of the way, and that's the scariest one. Now you know that you can do it, the rest will be a peice of cake!
xooxo
k9
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:00 AM

Hi Libby,

I am so glade your first went well. You have the
right attitude. Stay postitive. Take 1 day at a time.
If you need to talk I am hear.
Unread 11-21-2006, 09:48 AM

Hi all, I have #2 of 3 treatments of taxol/carboplatin next week and except for tiredness and a little bit of stomach upset (led to a med change from Zantac to Nexium) I feel pretty good... I am like all of you these treatments are insurance to get rid of the "dust bunnies" left floating around and that in January I can get back to what I was doing before all of this happened. And I will get through this I have wondered a lot but I know that I am very fortunate concerning the stage and grade of my problem(s)- so I know that I will be fine...
Unread 11-27-2006, 07:37 AM

I had my first treatment 21 days ago. I had no issues until day 4. Then I was very tired, had knee and ankle pain and just took it easy. I also experienced tingling and numbness in my toes and the base of my toes. This has not gone away. By day 6, I was returning to normal but found that I felt tired. By day 10, I felt like myself again.
Nothing that was not tolerable.
On day 18, I did start to experience hair loss. Not so bad. Hair brush full of hair and you will need to clean your shower drain.
I cannot bring myself to just shave it but I do have my wig ready.
It definitely helps to hear what others are doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register