upcoming surgery questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

upcoming surgery questions upcoming surgery questions

Unread 01-16-2002, 07:18 PM
upcoming surgery questions

I'm scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on Feb. 5. I haven't had time to get nervous yet, busily preparing to take a leave from my teaching position. The listings and suggestions about what to take to the hospital have been helpful. I also got the incentive (okay, excuse) to buy a portable CD player so I can listen to mellow music in the hospital. How long does the actual surgery usually take? Perhaps my hubby will need the music in the waiting room. If it's a long procedure, will it be helpful for me to round up the troops to keep him occupied? How much physical help will I need when I'm discharged. My mom has offered to come up. Although I love this hard working, hyper Japanese woman, I may not find it that restful and peaceful as she goes around scrubbing and disinfecting every corner of my house. She tells me "I do laundry good". She means well, but will probably never sit down. 76 six year old Japanese woman do not know how to sit still. I know our family loves us, but does anyone else sometimes feel less relaxed with them around? I'm concerned about the stairs since we live in a tri-level and it's difficult to get anywhere without going up or down. The Bassett Hound who is dumber than a rock knows when 6 o'clock comes around, and insists on timely meals. Annabelle may have the biggest adjustment. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2002, 07:30 PM

Hi Rose,
Your doctor will be able to tell you how long he/she estimates that YOUR surgery will last. Everyone is so different depending on what each gal is suffering from.

The day of your surgery I suggest that only your husband be with you and other adult family members. The hospital is not a good place for children. I found that too many people visiting me was purely exhausting! Once you are back in your room from recovery, adult family members should keep in mind that you are going to need to rest. Family members may wish to have the youngsters call you the next day so they can say hello over the phone. Youngsters don't understand that patients are in the hospital to rest and get well. My roommate's grandchild came to visit one evening when I was really not doing well. One of the nurses had to suggest that the high energy that the grandchild was displaying was not good for me and other patients. The mother understood and took the grandchild home. It was not the child's fault................they are too young to understand. The best place for children is at home. There will be plenty of time to visit once you return home.
Unread 01-16-2002, 07:39 PM

Hi Rose

Oh boy can I totally relate to feeling more stressed with family around than just trying to go it alone. My MIL leaves me so stressed that I have to work to keep my mouth closed! Actually, I am looking forward to the first time after my surgery that she does something to upset me and I can go off and blame it on my hormones! :devil: I know, shame on me, but I figure if I have to go through it I just as well have some positive aspects!

Good luck on your trip to the castle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2002, 07:46 PM

Hi, Rose,

I had a TVH/BSO, and my surgery took 1 1/2 hours, but Pattygefa is right. This is probably very individual, depending on your doctor's skill level, and on what the doctor finds once the surgery starts. Ask your doctor for an estimate. (My doctor told me he thought my surgery would take 2 hours.)

Again, ask your doctor about the stairs. Mine told me I could go up and down stairs once a day for the first two weeks. I had no problem with stairs, but I obeyed my doctor's orders, like a good princess should.

And Pattygefa's right about children and visitors, too. Most TVH patients are only hospitalized overnight. You won't feel like entertaining while you're in the hospital. There will be plenty of time for visitors, between naps, when you get home.

Some ladies who have had mother-in-law assistance when they get home have suggested making a specific list of exactly what you'd like to have done (eg cook dinner, do laundry, babysit.)
These ladies commented that, otherwise, their beloved mother-in-laws drove them nuts.

I do have a suggestion. I found that the nursing staff, bless their busy hearts (I'm a retired RN) weren't always available to help me when I was hospitalized. I really wish I'd had an adult to spend the night with me in the hospital. Because my hospital was full, I was on the Pediatric unit, and the controls on my OB/GYN unit bed weren't attached to the call light or the tv. I had to get out of bed every time I needed something. Hopefully, this won't happen to you, but it would still be nice to have an adult there to fetch a drink or help you get out of bed the first few times.

Good luck with the surgery, and have a restful recovery.

Best wishes,
princessh
Unread 01-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Rose...

Can I have your mom?

You will need help for at least a week when you are discharged. You won`t be able to do those stairs too much so it would help to have someone be able to run your meals, get you water, etc. Oh..and no vacuuming or lifting, so you might be happy to have mama who does laundry good. She can let Annabelle in and out, too.

My surgery took 2 1/2 hours...maybe a bit more now that I think about it. My hubby had my bag so if yours keeps your bag he will have your CD player to use. After the surgery you are in recovery for at least an hour, too.

Mama might not sit still, but I bet her hugs would sure feel good when you are recovering. Maybe you can ask her in advance to please save some time each day to sit and have tea with you. She will feel good to be there to help and you might feel happy to have someone to talk to.

Wishing you speedy healing.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register