not staying over night? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

not staying over night? not staying over night?

Unread 09-22-2012, 10:18 PM
not staying over night?

I have Kaiser as my medical provider. I've been told that I will be released to go home the same day as the procedure. I am curious if there is anyone else who went home the same day as surgery & if that's typical a TVH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Re: not staying over night?

My mom had a TVH many, many years ago and she was sent home the same day. I will be having LSH in Oct and my doctor has said to expect I will be spending 1-2 nights.
Unread 09-22-2012, 11:36 PM

I had a a Divinci on 9/5, surgery about 8 and I was home by 2 and did just fine!

I wanted out of there, wanted the cath out as soon as possible and wanted to get home to recover. Hospitals (IMHO) are the worst place to rest!

In order for the cath to com out I had to walk around the nurses station. I was all over that as soon as they brought me back from recovery!

Everyone is different. They won't send you home is you are not feeling well, having issues or can't produce pee off the cath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2012, 08:16 AM

I can tell you my doc wanted me to be gone asap. They said this is the wost place to rest...not to mention she said as clean as we try to keep this place..this is the worst place to pick up an infection. Yep...after that was said I went down hill and ended up spending 2 nights. By the 3rd day I wanted out sooooo bad. If you have help at home that is really where you want to be. Best of luck. Try not to worry. HUGS
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Like you I'm concerned. It isn't my insurance but my doc that is giving me mixed messages. I figure will just see what happens and prepare for whatever comes my way.
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM

I had a partial laprascopic 5 hour, rather difficult surgery due to large fibroids imbedded in my muscles and I was released same day. I guess you could say.. I chose not to stay (you have to be able to go to the bathroom and urinate, eat crackers- not throw up and keep water down.) I could not stand that blood pressure cuff on my arm after surgery, it would inflate every so often, just when I fell asleep and would keep waking me up. This was late afternoon, but I could not rest and forced myself to complete the above tasks so I could rest in my own bed. I was very happy to be home! Frankly, I bet you will be happy to be home. You will do great!!
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:17 PM

It seems most everyone spends at least one night. I am sure it depends on the doctor, type of hysterectomy and insurance. My doctor sends everyone home the same day with the da vinci robot surgery. I had everything removed (uterus, cervix, both ovaries, tubes). Everyone (even my nurse friends) encouraged me to spend one night. My insurance company approved 23 hours. My hospital listed my admission time as the time I was taken from recovery up to my room. I had to be there at 7:30 am for surgery to begin at 9:30 am. My papers list that I was admitted at 1:20 pm. I decided to spend the night. I woke up in the room around 3'ish. I kept being in and out for a couple of hours. They wouldn't let me go home until I peed on my own and that didn't happen until 10:00 pm. I wasn't interested in leaving the comfort of my hospital bed at that point and I liked the idea of having the nurse available in the event I needed something. The nurse called my doctor and he approved my admittance for the night. I slept great that night and felt ready to leave the next morning. We left about 9:30 after I ate breakfast. I felt good and ready to leave at that point and it was still within the 23 hour period. You need to do what feels right for you and within the guidelines of your insurance company. Check and see if they allow 23 hours...in the event you want to spend the night. Good luck!
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:36 PM

I had a tvh on Sep.14,2012 and I stayed one night. I hate being in the hospital but was glad to stay since it is a major surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register