Of all the things to be afraid of, I'm scared of the catheter! Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Of all the things to be afraid of, I'm scared of the catheter!  Help Of all the things to be afraid of, I'm scared of the catheter! Help

Unread 02-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Of all the things to be afraid of, I'm scared of the catheter! Help

I am having a LAVH on March 4 and while I am physically and mentally ready for this - I cannot get over the thought of having a catheter. I know it is put in while I am down for the count and catching some ZZzzzz's, but it will be in until the next day.

I can't get past the thought of having this removed after having a LAVH and what it is going to feel like having it removed. I can't imagine that it won't hurt!

I must be crazy to be worrying over such a small detail but still, it is freaking me out!!!! I told my hubby that he has to make sure it is covered so nobody will see my 'pee pee' bag. I think I'm cracking up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 06:52 PM

Having it removed is nothing compared to some pain you might have from the surgery if you don't stay on top of it with pain pills. They counted to 3 and had me hold my breathe when they took it out. Didn't really bother me that much!

Good luck!
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:01 PM
It will be ok

You can't even feel the catheter when it's in, REALLY! Just be sure to make the nurse empty your pee bag regularly or it may begin to sting - mine did, only because the nurse was lazy and did not empty my bag when she was supposed to! I was so mad and told my doctor about it.

When they take it out, curl your toes toward yourself and push a little - not bad at all! It's over in 2 seconds and not nearly as bad as having a shot or something. I swear! I have lots of advice for you on surgery if you'd like....even advice on what to pack in your bag, it relieves some stress, once you pack your hospital bag.

Since you are having it done laparscopically, you will feel pretty good by about day 3. By day 2, it won't seem like it, but trust me! It is like night and day between those 2 days. I came home day 3 and did not even need anyone to stay with me.

Keep in touch & take care!

Andrea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:01 PM

I was also scared of the cath. It didn't bother me at all while it was in and it didn't hurt coming out. The bag hung way down on my bedrails and my IV pole/pain pump were in front of it. I was happy on morphine and not really caring if anyone saw it. You are not cracking up. I was really worked up about having it in me but it turned out to be not a big deal at all.
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:09 PM

Having the cath. removed is no big deal, really. Just enjoy having it for the first night, you won't need to get up and go to the bathroom! please don't worry, everything will be fine with your surgery and recovery! We've all been there and made it! Good luck and God Bless!
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:38 PM

Take it from someone that had one for 18 days - getting it out is nothing. It's an odd feeling but there was no pain. I have to tell you that because of the fluids being pumped in the iv and then the of water in such quantities that it was a pleasure to not have to run to the during the begining of recovery.
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:15 PM

This too was one of my biggest worries. To be honest, I was so happy that I did not have to get up to pee that first day and night. The only discomfort, not pain, was the part that was inside was up against the wall of the bladder which just made me feel full. But the nurse fixed that as soon as I said something. I did stand up that night and went for a little walk, but it didn't bother me at all. Just like someone else said, the nurse had me inhale deep and hold, and she pulled it out...no pain at all.

Edited to add: They are not dry when they are inserted, they put a lot of lube on them so after the little balloon that holds them in place is deflated, they slide right out with a tug.

Have a blessed recovery,

bitterpill
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:48 PM

Agree with what everyone else has said. The catheter was no big deal. For a while when i was in, I did start to feel like I had the urge to urinate and told the nurse, so she made some adjustments to the tube and that fixed it. You really can't get up to go to the bathroom easily with all the other monitors and leg massagers, etc hooked up, so the cath is a good thing.

When my nurse took it out, she started to count, but then pulled it out on "1", so I was suprised, but it just stung for a couple of seconds and then nothing. No problems whatsoever.
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:41 AM

I had my surgery on January 17. The nurse wanted to put the catheter in while I was in prep, I asked if it could wait until I was under, she said no problem. I'm glad I said something. I agree, it was nice not having to get up and go to the bathroom that first night. When they took the cath out it just felt like a tampon coming out (a feeling, I'm glad to say I will never feel again - yeah!!) It was not far up in my abdomen as I had thought it would be. I was ready for it to come out. I didn't want to be chained to the bed anymore and was itching to move around.
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Thanks so much for the replies - your comments have made me a little bit at easy (I'd be lying if I said all was good!) Good point about not having to get up to go the bathroom ..... maybe I'll be glad when it is in. I'm going to start another thread........more questions about pain managment

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register