Was fine till I got on the site! Now Freaking out! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Was fine till I got on the site! Now Freaking out! Was fine till I got on the site! Now Freaking out!

Unread 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Was fine till I got on the site! Now Freaking out!

I have had horrible cramps and heavy bleeding during my cycles since I was a kid. The migraines started in my 20's. 2 years ago I got really sick with cramps, etc and spent a week in bed throwing up from the pain. No one knew the problem.

Since then I have been put on the pill constantly so I have no cycles. I have spotting and cramping AFTER intercourse, and when I get stressed. Sometimes I wake up and am bleeding but it stops.

I'm getting ready for an ultrasound that measures my uterus next, but I was given a few options from my new OBGYN. She mentioned something about a shot I could get every month for 6 months that is pretty heavy duty, but honestly I didn't listen because when she said shot I said no way. She mentioned abolation (? spelling) and said it would make the bleeding less for awhile but may not end the cramps. Then she mentioned hysterectomy of only the uterus....I'm unsure about the cervix. When she said that I jumped for joy as did my mom when I called her. I'm tired of the pain.

BUT honestly, after looking on the wesite, I am freaked out. I was ok until I started looking around! I work a sit down job in 911 dispatch at an airport. Most of the time it's quiet and we are bored. I thought I would be back to work WAY sooner than what I am reading here. I need to find out if my job will pay for the additional time off. Stupid me I thought I would be out for 3 days then back to sitting at my job with no lifting, etc.

I'm kind of bummed. I don't want to be in pain anymore, but don't know if I can be out of commission as long as you all have been. My boyfriend is home every other week becasue of his job, so I think I would be ok with that.

Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2008, 07:08 PM

Hi Sunshine,
I suggest you do more research, read more about ablation and the various options available regards procedure types, alternatives, etc. We all can easily relate to the severe pain you are suffering...heaven knows we can. But don't take the choice of a hysterectomy lightly (which I can tell you are not). You are young yet, from what I can tell from your posting here. Read up on non-surgical options, do follow-through on the uterine ultra sound. Those results may help you assess the next step. Take this one step at a time. Once your uterus is removed, it is gone forever and there's no going back. I wish you only the best for your physical and emotional well being. Don't give up looking through this website yet.
Unread 09-13-2008, 07:08 PM

I think you need to make a list of all of your questions and concerns and then go back and have a consultation with your doctor. It is highly unlikely you would return to work in three days no matter what type of hysterectomy you had but there are some lesser invasive ones that do have a shorter recovery time -- if all goes well.

Regardless of the type of hysterectomy, it is a major surgery that is not without risks. Before scheduling one it is a good idea to seek a second opinion to determine that a hysterectomy is your best choice.

Since an ablation has been suggested, you might want to check out the Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group.

One thing that could help you make your decision is to know your specific diagnoses. What exactly does your doctor think causes your symptoms? Fibroids? Endometriosis? Adenomyosis? Polyps? If you know what you are dealing with specifically then you know which treatment options are best for your situation.

Keep reading and also look through the Resource Database. Weigh all of your pros and cons, seek additional medical opinions, and then do what is best for you! S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2008, 11:24 AM

Please research and consider all of your alternatives as surgery should be your last option. I understand that you are in pain and are frustrated but you are still in a position to explore alternatives. I wish you luck and keep us posted.
Unread 09-14-2008, 02:28 PM

I know what you mean about monthly suffering. I had a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy and I was back at work in 10 days (3 is a little soon, sorry but I had a flawless recovery and I feel the best I ever had at this point. Please research your options. Not all doctors are well-trained/experienced in laparoscopic methods.
Best of luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register