What if I can't have a morphine pump? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What if I can't have a morphine pump? What if I can't have a morphine pump?

Unread 12-20-2008, 02:18 PM
What if I can't have a morphine pump?

I see a LOT of ladies that already had there surgery say they had a morphine pump.
I'm allergic to morphine (and hydrocodone, Lortab, Norco & Ultram ) so there isn't much left that I can have. I'm already at 15mg of Oxycodone 3 times a day.
I'm SO worried that I'm going to be dealing with a lot of pain at 1st. The Oxycodone doesn't take away all my pain as it is, it only clams it down enough that I can deal with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Oxycodone is the generic brand of Percocet. Oxycotin is much stronger perhaps they can try you on that. They have tons of different medications I am sure they will find one that works for you.
Unread 12-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Dont worry too much, there are a TON of other drugs out there! This just means you are going to get the really good stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAManager
Oxycodone is the generic brand of Percocet. Oxycotin is much stronger perhaps they can try you on that. They have tons of different medications I am sure they will find one that works for you.

Well that is almost right, Oxycodone is not the generic brand of Percocet, Percocet is Oxycodone with Acetaminophen together in the same pill. My Oxycodone is stronger than the highest dose of Percocet.

Oxycotin just last longer, 12 hours, it's still just Oxycodone in a controlled-release form.
Unread 12-20-2008, 03:58 PM

I wouldn't worry about it...it is funny but we all worry about something different...and we all worry!

When I came out of surgery I had a horrible time because they couldn't manage the pain. They kept going stronger with the usual until it compromised my respiration...then they tried other stuff. They found the combination that worked for me and while it was distinctly unpleasant, I had three people staying with me, talking me through it and making sure I was OK.

There is a lot of other stuff they can put in that little pump, never fear. The pump is also not your only source of pain relief...it's only an adjunct
Unread 12-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Would an epidural be an option for you--at least it would get you thru the initial post op period?
Unread 12-20-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonw05
Would an epidural be an option for you--at least it would get you thru the initial post op period?

I was going to ask for one, at least I wouldn't wake up with pain.
Unread 12-20-2008, 06:48 PM

I didn't have a morphine pump but did have percocet and toradol. I would discuss this with your doctor before hand of course. I am sure they can find some kind of mixture they can give you.

I was off the percocets by the third day and just onto advil for the most part. There were a couple of times I overdid and would take a percocet. Maybe the surgery will relieve some of your pain.
Unread 12-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Many don't have the morphine pump! Depends I'm sure on the type of hysterectomy. There's a wonderful shot they give in the IV something like "toradal" that works great on the achy crampy stuff like the morphine would.

I have the oxycodone (percacet) and 800 mg Motrine now. Morphine pumps only seem to be the first 12 hours or so anyway.
The pain you have post surgery is not the same kind of pain before surgery- you may be surprised what the oxycodone can do post surgery.

Discuss with the anesthesiologist and your surgeon so they can get you set up right!
Unread 12-20-2008, 08:09 PM

I didn't like the morphine pump at all (it made me nauseous) so I was given Percodan instead. Worked GREAT !!!

Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register