Anyone hysterectomy due to ovarian cysts? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone hysterectomy due to ovarian cysts? Anyone hysterectomy due to ovarian cysts?

Unread 11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Anyone hysterectomy due to ovarian cysts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOn
My cysts were very painful. The functional cysts were small and caused pain around the time of my period and when I ovulated. My whole life I have had pain when I ovulated but it was just an ache for about half a day. When I developed cysts ovulation pain was BIG and lasted about 3 days. The non- functional cyst was about the size of a plum also and it was extremely painful and would flare up kind of out of the blue. My doctor never acted like he didn't believe that it hurt. He was very sympathetic. Tylenol didn't touch it, I can't tolerate ibuprophen, so he gave me percoset to take as needed.
I have had two men gyno's and both haven't been convinced that my cysts hurt. But I am literally almost incapacitated at times, stuck to a heating pad and gaining weight because of inactivity because activity can trigger pain. Getting pain pills has been like pulling teeth. My gyno here in town gave me 20 a month to get me by until my insurance renewed and I could start using it again, but it was a fight just to get that. And my current gyno hasn't been happy giving me painpills but gives me 20 every two weeks. Although the last time I saw him he actually acted like all I do is ask for pain pills and that he is enabling me. I started seeing him in August and he has refilled my prescription 5 times with one of those times being for a Lap and one being for an HTA. And it really isn't my fault that this surgery was scheduled in mid November. I was ready last month. Anyway that is my doctor gripe. And I really like this doctor and have seen him off and on since 1994. But he really upset me this last time when he said he was enabling me, I thought later, well yes you are enabling me to at least survive till surgery. And you know what was so weird? He refilled the prescription and gave me more pain pills than he had been and gave me a stronger dose. What is up with that? But I appreciated it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 07:24 AM

I am really surprised at all of these doctors who don't believe you get pain with cysts. My mother had a lot of pain with an ovarian cyst and had to have that ovary removed. Like you, I used to spend a lot of time with my heating pad. When a hysterectomy was first mentioned I was a little unsure. My husband said, "Hon, to me this is a no-brainer. You spend so much time in pain." One added advantage for me is that PMS has always been a major issue in my life so I also thought that having my ovaries out would help with that. My doctor also agreed that I seemed to be very hormonally sensitive and that the surgery might get rid of that. I am only 4 weeks post-op but it does seem to have helped. For what it's worth I did get a second opinion and both doctors were in agreement that a hysterectomy was a good idea...one doctor was male and the other female. Neither questioned that I was in a lot of pain and that it was affecting my quality of life.
Unread 11-13-2007, 08:37 AM

Mine would hurt every now and then through the month. Then at pms time it got really bad. I also have a lot of scar tissue from previous surgeries and that is another reason for hysterectomy. The doctor said that one of my tubes is covered in scar tissue from having my tubes tied. He said that the scar tissue was everywhere.
Unread 11-13-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm having my TLH due to adenomyosis but I can tell you that I have had some pretty painful cysts! In fact I think I have one now. Same thing - Drs say it shouldn't cause me pain or trouble - WRONG! This from women drs!
Unread 11-13-2007, 09:28 PM

I have a question, I had my cyst removed on August 8th. I also have an enlarged uterus. The doctor noticed it during my last post op visit and we decided that it was time for a hysterectomy with everything else going on and now this. I have noticed that my left side has started hurting again. Is this normal with an enlarged uterus or could it be that the cyst is growing back? I've been thinking about going to see my doctor again. My surgery isn't until December 26th.
Unread 11-14-2007, 06:26 AM

I'm by no means a doctor, but if you are in pain, your body is telling you that something isn't right! I would call the doctor and let them know about it. They could schedule an ultrasound to check it out before your surgery to see what is going on. With the cyst on my right ovary (last month) it had encompassed the entire ovary and was tortioning it and pressing on the blood supply. NOT a good thing!! The only reason I knew I had the cyst was because of the excruciating pain it gave me!! Seriously, call your doctor! Its better to be safe than sorry!
Unread 11-14-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety_bird76
I have a question, I had my cyst removed on August 8th. I also have an enlarged uterus. The doctor noticed it during my last post op visit and we decided that it was time for a hysterectomy with everything else going on and now this. I have noticed that my left side has started hurting again. Is this normal with an enlarged uterus or could it be that the cyst is growing back? I've been thinking about going to see my doctor again. My surgery isn't until December 26th.
I had a blood filled cyst removed Auguest 8 and the pain was gone for about a week and then it was back so I wouldn't doubt if it is your cysts. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register