Help with what to expect from surgical hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help with what to expect from surgical hysterectomy Help with what to expect from surgical hysterectomy

Unread 01-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Help with what to expect from surgical hysterectomy

Hi. I'm new here.
I am having a surgical hysterectomy on March 1st do to endometriosis.
Can someone help with what I should expect to experience menopause wise afterwards? I am only 37 so regular menopause would be years off. I experienced some of the effects by being on Lupron for 4 months but they were pretty mild. I am really scared cause I don't know what to expect and I can't take any hormones directly after to help with the effects. I coule use some advice. Also, why is it important to try to keep your cervix? I have read something about that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2004, 05:37 PM

Welcome!

You'll go through surgical menopause if they take your ovaries. If they don't take them, they may "sleep" for a while, but you won't have menopause. For most women, it is recommended to keep them if you can, so you don't need HRT, but I believe in the case of endo they sometimes take them to keep any more endo from growing.

As far as your cervix, opinions vary. Some drs think you don't lose as much support for other organs if you keep it. Some think it helps sex to feel the same. These are all opinions and believe me, they vary a lot! If you are having a vaginal hyst, you can't keep the cervix. If you are having abdominal or laproscopic you may be able to.

I don't have endo, but I'm sure someone with endo experience will come along soon and can answer your questions from a more endo-specific point of view.

Best wishes!

Jeannie
Unread 01-16-2004, 07:03 PM

Thanks.
They will be taking my ovaries. I haven't discussed keeping my cervix with the doc yet. I see him again next month. I would like to keep it but I know there is a lot of endo attached to it so I think they may "have" to take it in order to get all the disease out.
Thanks so much for replying. I don't have anyone to talk to about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2004, 07:56 PM

I can't help with what surgical menopause will be like. If you check out the hormone jungle board you'll probably find lots of women who have been through it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register