Ladies that are 4mos post op...Is this normal - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ladies that are 4mos post op...Is this normal Ladies that are 4mos post op...Is this normal

Unread 04-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Ladies that are 4mos post op...is this normal

JAX,
What you have said here could have been written by me -- every single symptom! Is your incision a vertical incision? Think I read that the abdominal muscles take longer to heal with a vertical incision. Not sure how much muscle was cut. I did a little research on how a TAH is performed - pictures included!! I think the instruments they use to keep the site open during surgery must really stress out the muscles and tissues. My sore spot that came back yesterday when leaning over feels like a golf ball is lodged at the top end and little to the side of my incision. Could this just be muscles knitting back together that get torn a little?

My doc gave me the green light to do anything I want at 6 weeks -- even crunches, if I wanted to. Yeah, right!!! Like we feel like doing crunches! I have increased my activity and probably did a bit too much when pruning shrubs a couple of weeks ago, but I actually feel worse 13 weeks post-op than I did at 10 weeks.

Trying heat and cold to ease the pain. Haven't had to use pain killers for weeks but think I need to again - the heavy-duty stuff makes me sick so Ibuprophen is all I can take.

As far as emotions go, I finally figured out I was more affected by being opened up than by the loss of any organs. Once I faced that realization, I felt less weepy. Weird! Feeling better just sharing! Thanks for listening!!

Hugs to all who are frustrated / worried about how long its taking to be normal again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax
I right there with you - 11 weeks since TAH and BOO :

1) swelly belly all day long and it's getting BIGGER - and is HARD (whats with that?)
2) the lightest touch on certain parts of my belly (way above the incision) hurts like the dickens
3) have pain up near my belly button that is different then any oterh that I had to date - started 3 weeks ago - does nto move, feels like it is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch under the skin and then deeper - rather then a deep pain. I shy away from anything toughing my belly - even lightly due to this pain
4) sharp buring pains at times - today I bent over an dgot a searing burning throbbing pain in the middleof my belly - went away soon after straitening up

What is with all this and why did my Dr not tell me about this? He acts like it is all in my head (says I am over sensative and over aware...) Also does nt think I should be hurting anymore (from what I can tell). Isee him this week - don't expect to know too much more after that appt though..
jax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Ladies that are 4mos post op...Is this normal

My emergency surgery was 4 months ago today. I was in septic shock too and in the surgery report it was noted that they used "manual retraction" at first. Held me open with hands. Yeah, no wonder my belly hasn't recovered yet.

Last sunday, and this past saturday I had a bit of spotting. Turns out I have some cervix left and a cyst on my one remaining ovary. Hopefully it's only a luteal cyst and I had a mini period. The spotting is freaking me out as is some yellow tinted discharge. My gyn, not the one who did the emergency surgery, took a look and said I have some granulation tissue and fryable tissue. Fanflippintastic. I'm also having pms-ish feelings. My estrogen is fine, my testosterone is low.

Just noting my symptoms. If a doctor ever told me that my symptoms were "in my head" or was in any way dismissive, I'd fire that doctor and find another. Fortunately, my current group of Drs take me at my word and search for the cause of my symptoms.

I have another apt with the aforementioned gyn tomorrow to investigate this discharge and make sure the spotting is just part of the healing process.

Good Luck to us all!

Beth
Unread 05-01-2008, 12:57 AM

I too am almost 4 mos out from a TAH. Still have some swelly belly issues but it is getting better SLOWLY but surely.

I suffer from constipation and also a watery discharge with a yello tinge....what is this? I had a bladder infection 2 weeks ago and that cleared up. Is this discharge normal?

Other than that my energy level is way up there - no more periods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2008, 02:12 AM

I fnd it interesting that all of us have the swelly belly pain and tenderness around the belly button.. That is exactly where my pain is (golf ball size is a good description). I too have the vertical cut... I wonder if they start stapling at the bottom and work their way up or vice versa. My scar at the bottom is twice as wide as at the top and is very "cord-like" feeling... If something (clothing) touches my scar, it feels like it is pulling my skin in different directions. Stretch pants are still my friend...
Lack of energy is my worst symptom... Can't stay up for more than 12 hours... so I guess it is getting better, but when will we get back to "normal"...
Have others found out that the sympathy we got from outsiders is getting less and less?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register