TAH 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Lack of strength in left leg and groin pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post hysterectomy: Lack of strength in left leg and groin pain 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Lack of strength in left leg and groin pain

Unread 10-28-2015, 01:41 PM
4 weeks post hysterectomy: Lack of strength in left leg and groin pain

Hi ladies,

I am 4 weeks post op (tah) and have some lack of strength in my left leg (especially moving it to the side). I also have a tearing/burning pain in my groin intermittently when standing up after sitting or lying down (only lasts a few seconds each time). My thigh area on my left leg is also numb. I was wondering if anyone else has any of these side effects? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Re: Lack of strength in left leg and groin pain

Can you hold your full weight on that leg? You may want to be evaluated for neuropathy. Do you have any permanent sutures near your sciatic nerve? The surgeon cannot visualize the nerve so they kind of blindly put the suture in the ligament. I had to be evaluated for both of these issues a week ago- but the main difference is I did not have weakness. Do you have any electrical feeling pain? Sorry so many questions! Just trying to clarify. Well wishes...
Unread 10-28-2015, 03:39 PM

Hi brandysue, thanks for your response. I can hold my full weight on my leg it's really just weak on a side to side movement. For example, we have a small light carpet on our tile floor that I can easily move around with my right leg but if I try to move it with my left leg it doesnt have the strength from side to side.

With regard to the sutures, I'm not really sure!! I have a 7 inch incision with internal dissolvable stitches and glued on the outside. I don't think my pain is electrical - more burning/tearing (but very painful when it happens!!). My Dr isn't sure whether it's nerve or ligament pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2015, 04:41 PM

Does regular pain medication help with the pain? If it does its more likely ligament pain- which would make sense with the side to side issue. If it doesn't help though, they could prescribe you Neurontin (gabapentin) to see if it helps. It would also help with nerve healing. It does make you sleepy though. I hope this resolves for you!
Unread 10-28-2015, 07:21 PM

Hi. I had the same thing happen to me. My right leg was most affected. I couldn't bring it in to the left. For example, I couldn't bring it onto the bed, into the car, onto the footstool, and so on. My surgeon sent me to PT which really helped. I couldn't even drive a car because I couldn't put my foot on the brake The PT felt it was my obturator nerve that was damaged because of the specific movements that I couldn't make.

It's been three months and my movement is almost back to normal but I still have some pain and numbness. I would recommend talking to your surgeon and going to PT or a neurosurgeon.

So sorry you're going through this too. Nerves to heal in time even if they take their own sweet time
Unread 10-28-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyAmy View Post
Hi. I had the same thing happen to me. My right leg was most affected. I couldn't bring it in to the left. For example, I couldn't bring it onto the bed, into the car, onto the footstool, and so on. My surgeon sent me to PT which really helped. I couldn't even drive a car because I couldn't put my foot on the brake The PT felt it was my obturator nerve that was damaged because of the specific movements that I couldn't make.

It's been three months and my movement is almost back to normal but I still have some pain and numbness. I would recommend talking to your surgeon and going to PT or a neurosurgeon.

So sorry you're going through this too. Nerves to heal in time even if they take their own sweet time
I'd be interested to know what they think caused the damage. Did you have mesh? Time is of the essence with this type of nerve issue so I'm glad you got into therapy quickly. Hope you have a full recovery.
Unread 10-28-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandysue View Post
I'd be interested to know what they think caused the damage. Did you have mesh? Time is of the essence with this type of nerve issue so I'm glad you got into therapy quickly. Hope you have a full recovery.
No, no mesh. My surgery (davinci with 4 inch bikini cut, too) was really long -about 5 hours. They think it was nerve stretching from the positioning during the surgery. Hanging by my calves from stirrups for all that time. The motor issues have really gotten better. I can really only tell after a LOT of walking. My leg will want to swing out.
Unread 10-28-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyAmy View Post
No, no mesh. My surgery (davinci with 4 inch bikini cut, too) was really long -about 5 hours. They think it was nerve stretching from the positioning during the surgery. Hanging by my calves from stirrups for all that time. The motor issues have really gotten better. I can really only tell after a LOT of walking. My leg will want to swing out.
I hate thinking about the positioning! It actually changed my pubic bone position. My husband just remarked about it. My pubic bone has always been very prominent- so much so that it bruises whenever I did superman or rocket man exercises and made laying on my stomach uncomfortable. It's completely flat now!? Now I wonder if it was inflamed all these years. I also have an indent above it. I'd like to know how much my uterus weighed to cause that much displacement. Crazy things after this surgery!
Unread 10-29-2015, 01:54 AM

No, regular pain meds don't seem to make a difference. My Dr did put me on Neurontin 400mg twice a day and also vitamin B complex. I've been taking these for just over two weeks now and thought I was seeing some improvement but it appears to have gotten worse the last couple of days!! Not sure what to think!
Unread 10-29-2015, 06:29 AM

My doctor told that I was going to have to aware of what things aggravate it and avoid doing them- lol right? But I have to say, I've sitting leaning on my left side and it's much better. Having to sit down to use the bathroom was excruciating but I have been holding my right side up and that's gotten better as well. I hope we all get over this soon became it is no fun...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register