TAHBSO in 8 days! Scared at times! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAHBSO in 8 days! Scared at times! TAHBSO in 8 days! Scared at times!

Unread 06-11-2002, 03:32 PM
TAHBSO in 8 days! Scared at times!

I too am scheduled for next Tueday. I am very scared and nervous. Not sure how I will feel. I sometimes want to back out.
I have been on various hormones for the last month and I am sure that this is affecting how I am feeling. Sometimes I am calm, other times I am very anxious. I hope this is normal.
I cry sometimes and then I feel better. I had a weird dream the other night about surgery. I just keep the thought that I have a guardian angel looking out for me. Good luck ladies on all of your surgeries.

butterfly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Counting down the days...

I have 8 days and 14 1/2 hours until I check in at the castle. My surgery is Thursday, the 20th. I check in @ 7AM; surgery scheduled in the OR @ 9:30AM. I thought the waiting would be killing me, but in fact, I feel like it's coming up so fast I almost can't keep up! I'm running myself ragged preparing...
I'd be going more nuts too, I think, but I just haven't been letting myself stop to think about it much... I've been keeping so busy and so that's a pro, but the con side is that I am sheer exhausted, and I know I need to start getting rested up so I'm strong for surgery. But, here I've been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off driving everyone nuts with my lists upon lists of preparing for the hospital, preparing the house & for my recovery... blah, blah, blah.... Shoot, girls, I've practically already got my hospital bag packed!! Yesterday, I even shampooed my sofas, and carpets after vaccuuming, dusting, sweeping, mopping, scrubbing the toilet & shower & tub, doing loads of laundry, dishes, cooking, etc., etc.,....... I've been at it since Saturday morning. Something hit me when I woke up, and now I feel like I'm 'nesting'..... yeah, it's keeping me busy, but it's also wearing me out. Today I even spent almost 9 hours working on updating my DH's resume', and creating a 6 page answer sheet to a vigorous supplemental questionaire, all without hardly blinking an eye,... this can't be good for me, LOL. I don't know which would be better,.. keeping busy & having a house ready for the Pope himself to walk through (yeah, right), or let the rest of everything yet to be done go, and relax,.. at which point my mind could start getting the best of me,.. I've been doing so well, feeling confident & calm about going into surgery that I don't want to risk that changing, LOL.
What we all need to try to remember is that we are all in God's hands,.. He will be guiding our surgeons' hands, keeping us safe & sound. If we listen closely within our hearts, He will grant us the peace & serenity we desire going into this. He WILL take care of us, and we CAN get through this through HIM!!
God bless all of you & my prayers go out to each & every one of you!!
Unread 06-11-2002, 05:49 PM

To all LIW's on this post---I can relate so well to how many of you are feeling. I am now two weeks post op. I was completely freaked out of my mind the week before surgery. I had second thoughts every day----my body was doing fine, like it was saying to me, "OK, I'll be good", and i thought "why am I doing this?" Turns out my pathology report showed multiple fibroids, adenomyosis and big uterus. I'm so glad I went through with the surgery and got all of that out of there. I think I got used to being in mild to moderate pain each and every day--it became the "norm" for me. I feel so good now, I can't believe it.
I was also terrified about not waking up from anesthesia. I shared this fear with my anesthesiologist and he was wonderful in reassuring me. I went to sleep very gently right before my surgery and woke up very gently afterwards. The whole thing was not nearly as bad as what I had made up in my mind.
Hang in there--you will all do just fine. Really and truly, the waiting is the hardest part.
Best of luck to all of you.
Shelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2002, 06:11 PM
talk to the anesthesiologist

My surgery was 5/13 TAH-BSO. Had some of the same thoughts about the waking up. Found that you can schedule a pre visit with the anesthesiologist and tell them all your concerns. He wrote down lots of info. The morning of surgery, he reminded me that he remembered our conversation and concerns. Peace of mind is great. If you have the opportunity to schedule a pre visit, I would advise. It really made the mornig of surgery go much smoother and more relaxed. I didn't have to worry about what I should rememeber to tell them. Good Luck
Unread 06-11-2002, 06:14 PM

Hi Marci,

You are certainly not alone in your fears. I had myself so worked up I was having panic/anxiety attacks on a daily basis prior to my surgery. Fortunately an understanding ob and pcp understood my fears and took them seriously. I was immediately put on Paxil and Xanax for the acute attacks and I can't tell you the difference it made.

It IS a major surgery and it's perfectly natural to be afraid. Discuss these fears with your surgeon and let them reassure you. Here's a HUG and a lot of good wishes for your big day!

Connie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register