Scheduled LAVH Hysterectomy date is getting close. I'm anxious and I have some questions. (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy date is getting close. I'm anxious and I have some questions. (children mentioned) Hysterectomy date is getting close. I'm anxious and I have some questions. (children mentioned)

Unread 09-12-2014, 03:15 AM
Hysterectomy date is getting close. I'm anxious and I have some questions. (children mentioned)

Hi Ladies,
Surgery is 10 days out now and I know that it will fly by. I am having a LAVH including fallopian tubes but not the ovaries. I also need repairs for a cystocele and rectocele. I also sustained a bad tear, practically to the anus with a birth and he will be repairing all of that. I keep imagining lots of stitches and pain down there. I remember having an episimotomy for one baby and healing from that wasnt fun. I'm more ok about the surgery now, but I'm worried about pain and healing afterwards. Do you eat solid food after the surgery? What about bowel movements? how long before you ladies could sit ? Did you need a special pillow? Will my tummy be swollen afterwards? How swollen and how long for? Is your tummy actually sore also from the hysterectomy part of the surgery? I'm also anxious about actually going into the hospital and going into surgery. My heart starts to race when I think of it. Also what about grief... how have you felt after the hysterectomy. I am positive that it is the right decision but still, I feel like I might have some grief afterwards. I'm 46, we've had our children, but it's still an ending, you know?? Does that sound normal? sigh, what even is normal.......... I'll be in hospital for 4-5 days. then home. How long can I expect to need to rest when I get home? Ahhhh!!! ok, dont stress.... Just so much going through my head right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Re: Surgery date is getting close. I'm anxious and I have some questions. (children mentioned)

I'm so glad that you found us!
Waiting is very stressful... many women say it's the hardest part. So many questions, and so many unknowns and that can be scary. Do your best to keep busy, clean the house, freeze some meals and spend some time out having fun with family. I found making lists really helped to keep me organized.

There are a lot of great articles here: Pre Op Articles. You can look through them and read the ones that interest you. Many women have a low appetite immediately after surgery, so have some small nutritious meals on hand such as yogurt, fruit, soup. Soft foods are good until the bowels get moving again. Buy some stool softener and Gas X, as you will need them. The gas pains can be intense and getting the bowels moving can be challenging for many of us. You may have lots of stitches down below since you are having extra repairs. A donut cushion may be helpful for you. I had a TVH and couldn't sit at all for the first 4 days (ate dinner standing up!). By 3 weeks I could sit for maybe 40 minutes before I had to stand or lie down. You will likely have swelly belly and yes, your pelvic region will likely be sore. Many women say it's more discomfort than pain. Swelly belly can stay for a while and there's no way to know how long it will last for you. Plan on comfortable pj's and pants for post op, with a loose waistband. Some women buy underpants a size or 2 larger. I found I couldn't tolerate underpants at all, as anything around my waist hurt.

Yes it's completely normal to feel sad about having a hysterectomy. Even if you didn't plan on more children, the finality and sense of loosing the option can be difficult. It's ok to allow yourself to grieve the loss of your uterus and your fertility. I cried a lot before my surgery and I cried a great deal more afterwards. The emotions post op can take many women by surprise.

You will need help around home for at least the first week or two. The recovery can feel long. If anyone offers help, accept it! You can do this, and before you know it you will be on the other side. Come here often and ask all your questions or even if you just need a hug. You are never alone.
Unread 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Re: Hysterectomy date is getting close. I'm anxious and I have some questions. (children mentioned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineK11 View Post
Hi Ladies,
Surgery is 10 days out now and I know that it will fly by. I am having a LAVH including fallopian tubes but not the ovaries. I also need repairs for a cystocele and rectocele. I also sustained a bad tear, practically to the anus with a birth and he will be repairing all of that. I keep imagining lots of stitches and pain down there. I remember having an episimotomy for one baby and healing from that wasnt fun. I'm more ok about the surgery now, but I'm worried about pain and healing afterwards. Do you eat solid food after the surgery? What about bowel movements? how long before you ladies could sit ? Did you need a special pillow? Will my tummy be swollen afterwards? How swollen and how long for? Is your tummy actually sore also from the hysterectomy part of the surgery? I'm also anxious about actually going into the hospital and going into surgery. My heart starts to race when I think of it. Also what about grief... how have you felt after the hysterectomy. I am positive that it is the right decision but still, I feel like I might have some grief afterwards. I'm 46, we've had our children, but it's still an ending, you know?? Does that sound normal? sigh, what even is normal.......... I'll be in hospital for 4-5 days. then home. How long can I expect to need to rest when I get home? Ahhhh!!! ok, dont stress.... Just so much going through my head right now.
I know that it is hard to wait, especially when you face the unknown. I am glad you found HysterSisters. Your sisters are here to help you along this journey, whether you have pre-op questions, recovery questions, or you just need to know that we are here and care.

I had my dvTH/BSO plus rectocele (3rd stage), hidden enterocele prepairs, strengthening of the bladder ligament. My surgeon also told me that she would repair anything that my doctor "botched" when I had my kids and she threw in a labiaplasty. I had lots of stitches and it was sore when I wiped. A nurse friend suggested witch hazel -- I sprayed it on every time after I peed and it really helped. I also bought the gentle baby wipes because the toilet tissue was a killer. Cyst baths can also help.

Sugarandspice gave you lots of good advice -- you probably won't have much of an appetite for a while but it is important that you eat nutritional things to aid in your healing. My first BMs were ok -- I was nervous about them because of the repairs. I took colace and miralax and drank lots of water. and had to make myself not strain. Sitting at first can be hard -- I made sure I had a pillow. The swelly belly is common and is natures way of protecting our innards and our body's way of speaking to us. Tiredness is a part of this surgery -- yes you will need to get plenty of rest. We heal at different rates -- that is when you will have to learn to listen to your body.

Best wishes on your surgery. Come back and talk with us in the meantime. We are here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Re: Hysterectomy date is getting close. I'm anxious and I have some questions. (children mentioned)

Christine,

I could have written your post. Actually, as bkfranke (a hyster sister pal of mine) will probably say, I have written something similar. The only thing is that I never had an episiotomy. I had a c-sec followed by 2 vbacs but my midwives were so great about protecting my perineum. But my posterior repairs will be very new for me. YIKES!

My LAVH is this Monday, taking everything except ovaries, having a native tissue rectocele repair and tot sling. I have been dealing with multiple prolapses for years. Btw, totally flipped out today from nerves and actually called my docs office and they had closed early! Guess I am committed now! I get the grief. I am about a year and half older than you, born in April 66. Even tho I am 48, I have always wanted more kids. We have done nothing to prevent conception for years now, and nothing has happened. But when you have your parts, there is still hope. The idea of losing my fertility is very sad. I equate it with youth. So, I totally get where you are coming from.

My husband works from home and 2 of my 3 kids still live at home, the youngest of which is our 14 year old homeschooled daughter. So, having my husband, daughter, and 18 yr old son around will be of great help. I am planning to milk the resting for all it's worth. I bought 3 huge bottles of miralax powder so that pooping will be easy. I started taking it about a week ago just to get everything smooth out in there. I bought myself an abdominal binder from amazon. Got it yesterday, it feels really nice. Like a nice hug. I think I am going to like it. I have my bottle of gas x which everyone here says is a must. I am going to buy some tucks pads, and buy a peri-bottle (and if I can't find one, I will buy a condiment bottle, they say it's the same kinda thing). I have read that really warm water and some witch hazel in the bottle and sprayed onto your sore parts really helps.

I like wearing string bikini undies, so I am not sure about needing the big oversized granny panties. I really hate things around my waist. So, I am waiting on that. I think my string bikinis will sit well below the 3 lap incisions I will have. I also got myself a few oversized night shirts. So they are loose and comfy. I am planning to live in those. Fortunately, I am not top heavy, so I will be braless. (Happy girls!).

I have the novel Outlander on my iPhone to listen to, and the next novels in the series lined up on my audible account. Should be fun while I am recuperating.

I will keep a look out for you on the boards to see how you are doing. I will be happy to give you an idea of what everything was like, since I am going before you, and we are having much of the same stuff done.

Take care,
Rachel
Unread 09-13-2014, 07:39 AM

You ladies are amazing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your responses. Witch hazel and baby wipes sound like a great idea. I know I'm going to have lots of stitches down below from the repairs, esp at the back where he is repairing the tear also :/ What do I use in sitz baths? Tomorrow hubby and I are writing our list of what we need to do and want to do before the surgery. things like, prepare meals in advance, get our bedroom completely set up for my return, stock up on paper plates for when I get home and while i'm in hospital and organize some babysitters for when Im in hospital and recovering. We still have several children at home ( large family) and it will be school holiday time, so that will be challenging. Ive chosen my novel to read, and i'm making a list of a few movies I've been wanting to watch to help pass the time when I'm not sleeping. I am glad my sister will be coming to help and spend time with me for support and love, and to help hubby also. I need to get big undies, and that tummy wrap idea sounds comforting. I'm not top heavy either so the girls can be free All the best Rachel with your reapairs. Yes our proceedures are pretty much the same. I will keep an eye out for you. All of you girls are amazing. I am so glad to have this support <3
Unread 09-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineK11 View Post
You ladies are amazing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your responses. Witch hazel and baby wipes sound like a great idea. I know I'm going to have lots of stitches down below from the repairs, esp at the back where he is repairing the tear also :/ What do I use in sitz baths? Tomorrow hubby and I are writing our list of what we need to do and want to do before the surgery. things like, prepare meals in advance, get our bedroom completely set up for my return, stock up on paper plates for when I get home and while i'm in hospital and organize some babysitters for when Im in hospital and recovering. We still have several children at home ( large family) and it will be school holiday time, so that will be challenging. Ive chosen my novel to read, and i'm making a list of a few movies I've been wanting to watch to help pass the time when I'm not sleeping. I am glad my sister will be coming to help and spend time with me for support and love, and to help hubby also. I need to get big undies, and that tummy wrap idea sounds comforting. I'm not top heavy either so the girls can be free All the best Rachel with your reapairs. Yes our proceedures are pretty much the same. I will keep an eye out for you. All of you girls are amazing. I am so glad to have this support <3
Remember that we are here for you. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Unread 09-14-2014, 03:36 AM

Remember that we are here for you. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Thank you We told the kids today, I've told my parents and my sister just texted to say she could come stay for a couple of days..... Just over a week to go. Still alot to do, but really trying to stay well, and level headed about things. I know it'll be fine, and I'm just so looking forward to not feeling blah and in pain most of the time. Making a list tonight to check off over the next week. I doubt whether we will get all the housework done etc, but having a list makes me feel like we have a plan to follow. It's a bit of an emotional roller coaster, but im sure that's normal.
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Hi ChristineK11,

My surgery is the 23rd also! The waiting is so hard. Just trying to keep my mind busy but I'm in a lot of pain so it's hard to get things done. We just have 9 more days to wait and hopefully we will start feeling better! Good luck and see you on the other side!
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:07 AM

((ChristineK11)) & ((Jccw69)),
I will be waiting on the other side for you both in your Recovery Thread on the post op forum! You can do this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register