Scheduled TAH Menstrual migrain relief from hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Menstrual migrain relief from hysterectomy? Menstrual migrain relief from hysterectomy?

Unread 10-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Re: Menstrual migrain relief from hysterectomy?

Thanks Sugarandspice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Well Ladies,

I've made my decision!

I participated in the study mentioned in the forum and the information was very interesting and well presented. From all the information I have gathered and from the study presentation, I have decided to keep my ovaries.

I feel the benefits of keeping them outweigh those of losing them and like DaVinci'ed Di said - I don't expect my migraines to get worse. If they get better it's an awesome added bonus.

CHEERS!
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Congrats on your decision..keep us posted on how you make out thru surgery!! Best wishes for a speedy...and migraine-free...recovery!!

Di
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 02:36 PM

What an informative thread! I suffer from occasional migraines but lots of headaches. If less headaches is potentially a bonus of hysterectomy I will be thrilled!! Another thing to cross my fingers for! Can't wait for surgery for so many reasons!
Unread 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM

I'm having my hysto on Tuesday. I'm getting mine for relief of fibroids. Tired of feeling like a bloated blowfish. I also get menstrual migraines and hoping I get relief from it after the surgery.
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:14 PM

I have suffered migraines for years. I even had brain surgery a few years ago and they got better for a short while but came back. I get the kind that you need to go to the emergency room to get rid of. Neuro put me on Topamax to control them and although it did and I lost weight with them they made me dumb as a box of rocks and had to stop taking them. I too get them related to my period and mid month when I ovulate. I am so hoping that surgery will make them alot better....
Unread 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Re: Menstrual migrain relief from hysterectomy? Not for me.

No, the total hysterectomy did not cure my migraines at all.

I still get them a couple of times per month and need to use Imitrex when I get them or they will knock me out.

I would not count on the hysterectomy eliminating them if that is what you have been told.

This is just my experience, of course and it may be different for you.

I hope so. Best of luck if you are scheduled for your surgery.
Unread 10-28-2011, 02:49 PM

I also suffered from menstrual migraines, every month since I was about 14. (I'm 46 now.) When I had my surgery, I chose to keep my ovaries. My doctor warned me that because the migraines are caused by hormonal fluctuations and it's the ovaries that produce the hormones, I might continue to have migraines post-surgery. I really, REALLY didn't want to deal with HRT (my body is super sensitive to hormones and could never tolerate hormonal birth control), so I decided I'd rather stick with the "devil I know."

I had a couple migraines at about week three post-op, but they weren't as severe as my usual monthly migraines. That was also the week that I was having hot flashes, night sweats and crazy mood swings. All of that stopped about a week later, I assume because my ovaries had finally recovered from the trauma of surgery and gotten back to normal functioning.

I'm happy to report that I haven't had a single migraine (or hot flash) in the last seven weeks! All my adult life I've been able to count on having 3-4 a month, so it's a great feeling.

Unread 10-28-2011, 04:20 PM

I have had a few migraines,but dont know if I ever tied it into my period...
I usually get the aura around the eyes for about 20 minutes and then it goes away, once in a blue moon I get the blaring headache that accompanies it,
I know I am getting my uterus and cervix taken out, I am hoping to keep the rest,I had 2 C-sections and my tubes tied,so I dont know what the will find, I told him if its in good shape keep it, if it's scared and nasty then out it comes.. good luck to all the sisters having surgery and thank you for the input from the sisters that have gone before
Unread 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM

Sorry this became such a long post!
Just wanted to share my migraine story....mine started shortly after I had my tubes tied at age of 24 (not diagnosis by Dr at that time, but later on)...I'd had bad headaches as a teen very often (probably hormone related), but at age 32 I went to the Dr thinking they were sinus headaches....diagnosis then with migraines! I had them more days than not each month....I had sinus surgery & they stopped for awhile, then they started up again, so I learned to just live with them and took OTC meds! So when it came to needing a hysterectomy I was worried about the effects it would have on my migraines.....to keep or not keep the ovaries! Being I had a large fibroid on uterus & on my right ovary...I finally decided to have everything taken out....being there was a family history of uterine & ovarian cancer...why possibly have to have 2 surgeries when 1 surgery could be done! So I'm happy to say that I have only had a hand full of migraines since my hyster...and those were well over a year ago....I used Estrogel right after the hyster & then couple months of Vivelle-dot...now I haven't used Estrogen for almost a year. I was a very moody person before and now I'm much more calm than I had been....not saying that I don't have my days of moodiness....but nothing like before! I am concerned more about osteoporosis...so going to Dr soon to discuss that fear! I do have to deal with Hot Flashes & Nightsweats, but they aren't as BAD as the none stop migraines were!

Not trying to encourage anyone to have their ovaries removed...just sharing my experience....as I do believe for me it was the right choice! So Happy to Migraine free as of now!

Wish you a smooth surgery & a speedy recovery!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register