psoriasis and adhesions. any link? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

psoriasis and adhesions. any link? psoriasis and adhesions. any link?

Unread 04-23-2006, 05:13 PM
psoriasis and adhesions. any link?

hello all. i have been wondering if there seems to be a link between adhesions and psoriasis. i have the type of skin disorder that gets a patch whenever i get a scrape or paper cut. the doc thinks i have gotten my adhesions back again. my mil brought this up. anyone know about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2006, 06:23 PM

It sure makes sense to me, Heather. Adhesions are a type of "overhealing" where the scar tissue (which is needed) goes into hyperdrive. Sounds like your external cuts and contusions are overhealing, too. I've seen mention that this can be a auto-immune disorder, but I don't think the docs really know too much about it.
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:22 PM

well i don't have psoriasis but i sure do get adhesions. i hate em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2006, 11:31 PM

I do have psoriasis. I have alway been told that where you have an injury or break in the skin is most likely where you will get psoriasis. I have it on my elbows, where they rest on the desk while I work. I also have a huge patch of it just above my right ankle, also above my ankle tattoo. I got the tatt 6 years ago and the psoriasis popped up last year. I used to have it on my knees when I would crawl around the floor with my kids when they were babies. I dont have it there anymore.
The only time I was ever completely clear of all psoriasis was when I was pregnant. I have to wonder if there is some connection there as well.
Unread 04-24-2006, 06:58 AM

i dont have psoriasis but my DH does. It really makes sense about the adhesions. DH has been on Enbrel for his psoriasis for about a year and it works great. This is a injection I give him once a week, no creams no more. I am not sure about helping with adhesions but I would ask your Dr. about it.
Unread 04-24-2006, 11:45 AM

Not a lot is known about what causes psoriasis. Most of the "data" are observational at this point. It does seem to be an autoimmune disorder, in which the skin cells go into 'overdrive' in response to some minor perceived injury. There is a molecule called Intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-3 which seems to be elevated in patients with psoriasis, its level correlating with the severity of the disease:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

So basically it's some sort of inflammatory reaction going on on the skin surface, correlated with the level of the ICAM-3 molecule... but there's a chicken and egg issue. Which comes first, the psoriasis or the elevated level? I don't see an answer to that one yet, but when we find one, it might be a real key to a cure.

Interestingly, I found several anecdotal accounts of patients whose psoriasis cleared up after various types of surgeries:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...53e6n2hm.alice

As you can see, in each case, a different theory was proposed to explain why the psoriasis cleared up, but none of them really knew, and all stated that more research is needed. Duh!

There is also an oral medication that can be used to treat psoriasis very effectively. The brand name is Raptiva:

http://www.medicinenet.com/efalizumab/article.htm

However, being an immune suppressor, it's doubtful that many DRs would want to prescribe it either for long term use or for use around the time of surgery, when we're especially vulnerable to infection. It's only used for severe cases of psoriasis.

Now, as for the connection to the type of adhesions that can form after pelvic surgery... well, those do seem to be an inflammatory reaction as well. Recent studies have found that anti-inflammatories, especially those classified as COX-2 inhibitors, given around the time of surgery can reduce the likelihood of adhesion formation:

http://www.childrenshospital.org/new...blevel119.html

In fact, my surgeon gave me Vioxx for a short time after two surgeries to prevent adhesion formation, and it seems to have worked. It was also a fairly effective pain control medication for me.

So little is known about autoimmune disorders in general. Low hormone levels trigger them; antiinflammatories seem to help.

You might ask your DR if you could try Celebrex for a short time, on the off chance that it might work as well on the psoriasis as it seems to for preventing adhesions... just an and one that has very little downside.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-15-2006, 09:13 PM

Hey! Guess What Surferbabe? My Skin Is Almost All Th Way Clear! Very Cool, And In Time For Summer Too! All That Really Remains Is Some Mild Scaring! Yahoo, Thank You, H
Unread 05-17-2006, 04:27 PM

time2grow,
Can I ask what you used to get your skin cleared up? I have psoriasis on my lower leg and being that the weather is getting so warm I am leary about wearing shorts. I also have an ankle tattoo right below the psoriasis. I have a prescription for a cream that doesnt even work. I would love to hear how you got rid of yours.
Thank you.

Leanne
Unread 05-18-2006, 06:58 AM

hey raynedove. i take flax seed, and vitamin e everyday. 1 each, morning and night. so 4 total per day. i don't think that the creams do much. i haven't tried it, but the tanning booth is supposed to help alot. i think the vitamins help. i also think that my body chemistry has changed. that is what got rid of the psoriasis. read the above articles that surfer babe supplied. also, go to the national psoriasis foundation web site. there is so much helpful info there. honestly, my skin was out of control. i had patches on everypart of me! this is amazing. best of luck to you! let me know if this helps. it took the vitamins 2.5 months, but it is worth it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register