8 days post-op 12/2, feeling of coming down with something, and still no bowel movements - UPDATED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 days post-op 12/2, feeling of coming down with something, and still no bowel movements - UPDATED 8 days post-op 12/2, feeling of coming down with something, and still no bowel movements - UPDATED

Unread 12-10-2015, 08:03 AM
8 days post-op 12/2, feeling of coming down with something, and still no bowel movements - UPDATED

I had TVH on December 2nd 2015, we kept both ovaries. I am 27 and was not expecting this to be as bad as it has been. I stayed one night in hospital because I could not urinate at all not even a drop on my own, so I had to stay until I could empty to a certain limit, thankfully that happened rather quickly and I was home by lunch time the next day( still don't have my own control on bladder but it lets me pee so I am not pushing it). However since then I have had the feeling of starting to get sick, (no fever, but chills, feel like chest congestion but nothing coming up, sore body, and slight headache occasionally terrible headache but that has since subsided). I don't want to call the Dr. and it all be nothing, I saw him yesterday but I am intimidated by him so was to nervous to ask about this. I have not had a bowel movement yet so I don't' know if that has anything to do with feeling like this? I will be drinking prune juice and milk of mag to help with that this evening! Thank you for any advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Re: 8 days post TVH, feeling of coming down with so?ething, and still no bowel movements!

I had a TLH on 12/1 and felt this way as well. I think it's just the body's way of reacting to all of the trauma. I would also get a low grade fever, and felt like I had a mild flu. If you are worried though, call your doctor. Don't ever feel badly about doing that.
Unread 12-10-2015, 10:50 AM
8 days post-op 12/2, feeling of coming down with something, and still no bowel movements - UPDATED

I had mine on Dec. 1st. My doctor told me to drink Miralax twice a day to stay regular. If you're in pain or uncomfortable, take something. I have bad reactions to prescription pain killers so I just took Advil every 6 hours around the clock.

Post op day 6 was the first day I felt tired, but good....like my old self. Hang in there, it gets better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Re: 8 days post TVH, feeling of coming down with so?ething, and still no bowel movements!

I would call your doctors office. You can even just ask to speak to the nurse if you're not comfortable talking to the doctor. It's better to get ahead of anything irregular and at least give yourself some piece of mind that what you're experiencing is to be expected. You're recovering from major surgery, you don't want to have to have added stress as well.

Hope you start feeling better soon!
Unread 12-10-2015, 02:31 PM

I took a laxative powders and stool softeners before bed, more stool softeners in the morning and drank at least a glass of water an hour which after 2 days worked brilliantly.
Are you eating ok? If so the amount of waste building up will surely be making you feel horrid. You need to get that first BM out of the way & you'll start to feel better.
Also I had a lazy bladder for about a week. It's day 10 now and just starting to work as it used to-so keep your fluid intake up and make sure you go as soon as you feel the urge. Let us know how you go.
Unread 12-11-2015, 08:37 AM

Well just an update, I am on the second dose of Milk of Mag still no movement!! I am eating and have been eating normal since the day I got home so hopefully something will soon give.
Unread 12-11-2015, 08:49 AM

My 15 year old DD suffers from chronic constipation. Sometimes that can make her feel flu-ish. Did the DR have any other suggestions? We drink natural calm mag supplement and that helps really well. Also, pear cups for some reason help as well, and lots of water! I hope you have some relief soon!
Gretchen
Unread 01-18-2016, 07:51 AM

Sorry it has been so long on my response, everything is going amazing!! I finally had a BM on the 11th day, taking stool softeners and Philips. The recovery was a little more rough then expecting but it was worth it. This has been the best decision I could have made. I feel a little guilty for the fact I want to tell everyone who ever told me "I would change my mind I would someday want children and regret this, or that I should just push through the problems and small surgeries until I am older and then decide, or that they wish they never had a hysterectomy and I would regret it as well" I TOLD YOU SO, but I know that is not nice!!! I know it may not be for everyone but at the age of 27 going through fibroids, and constant bleeding 5+ years with only a 5 day break occasionally this was the best decision for me! I feel 10000x better emotionally and physically I was at wits end and glad I finally found a Dr. who would not instantly deny me this surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register