What t expect when you have other afflictions also?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What t expect when you have other afflictions also?? What t expect when you have other afflictions also??

Unread 07-20-2002, 02:33 PM
What t expect when you have other afflictions also??

I am concerned about the anethesia (sp?) during surgery etc as I have other afflictions. Will you princesses share if your anethesia and meds had to be different than the norm?? Thanks for all your prayers. I know GOD Cares how we are and will be afterwards. Thanks for all your encouragement and info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2002, 04:35 PM

Anesthesia will vary from patient to patient depending on what other health issues they have. I know that frequently anesthesia is one of the more scarey issues with surgery. But there are so many different options now. Please discuss this with your Dr and insist on a pre-op consultation with the Anesthesiologist before your surgery.

Good luck

Caren
Unread 07-21-2002, 03:00 AM

I don't know what you other afflictions are, but I have asthma, sleep aponea and sarcoidosis. The gyn did not want me to have morphine for post op pain relief, so arranged for me to have an epidural. I had a general for the actual op and had the epidural in for 48 hours post op. I was also on oxygen for 48 hours post op. The epidural was just the best. I had no barfing at all post op and was in virtually no pain either thanks to the epidural.

The post op pain and recovery were about a quarter as bad as what I had thought it would be, so that was a really pleasant surprise too. I thought I would be totally helpless and in heaps of pain and it didn't happen. I was out of bed day 2 post op and have never looked back.

Hope this has helped you.

Regards and all the best for your surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2002, 05:17 AM
Tell Anesthesiologist Carefully

As Buckkie's post shows, things can be carefully tailored to your specific needs. Be very explicit with the anesthesiologist--and your surgeon ahead of time. I told my anesthesiologist I have an eroded esophagus which bleeds with much vomiting and I always was the Queen of V'ing after surgery. Well, this time I wasn't even queasy! I mean--I was amazed and anesthesia is not going to scare me in the future. In my case, they did a nasogastric tube--sounds awful but let me tell you, I was not aware it was there except when I could see it--didn't hurt one bit and really helped and when the nurse took it out, I braced for something awful (and believe me, I'm the biggest coward on this board about stuff like that) and before I could scrunch up my face in anticipation--she said, "there, it's out." Almost wasted a panic for nothing. If you let the anesthesiologist know your other health problems he/she will know the best way to work with you.
Unread 07-21-2002, 04:23 PM
I really apreciate your replies!

I am so thankful that those of you who replied who also had other afflictions too, did so well. I will be praying for our other princesses-in-waiting outcomes also. I am taking my thoughts captive to GOD so HE Will Give me HIS Peace which Passes all human understanding! See 2 Cor 10:5 and for Hope and plans to prosper Jeremiah 29:11. May GOD Bless you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register