Scheduled LAVH Going to lose my job over surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going to lose my job over surgery Going to lose my job over surgery

Unread 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Re: Going to lose my job over surgery

I'm sorry you're going through this. If possible (and I know it might not be) look around for other job options; it never bodes well when they talk of you losing your job for health reasons. Try to have minimally invasive surgery if appropriate to get back on your feet soonest, and be sure you understand all the FMLA rules in advance. Save up all the benefit hours you can, if you can. I hope your condition makes a wait feasible. I can't understand an employer's attitude to be that way but since you need a job I hope it works out to keep it plus get surgery. Wish I had some really useful advice but since I don't, sending support and hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Going to lose my job over surgery

i did lose my job 9 days post op...originally when i told my boss about my upcoming surgery he said he'd pay me for medical leave, then he came to my house 9 days after surgery & said 'the biz was going to go a different direction with management', i had worked for him for five plus years, i built a business for him, it was a blow to me emotionally & i think it slowed down my healing process, in hindsight i think my health is more important than any job & i dont want to work for someone who is going to treat me like that, i regret working for him as long as i did, i am looking into the legality of all of it, i feel for u sister, im so sorry
Unread 01-11-2011, 01:01 PM

this is indeed terrible. something you really should not have to worry about during a time that could already be tough. you did not specify if you could wait or what your condition was. i had fibroids and waited 3 years, but that is my situation. talk to your doctor and then your boss. they can really do what they want to do. if the truly want to keep your job for you they can. nothing says they have to let you go. as someone else said, don't loos your health. you will find another job once you are fully healed. good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM

No I am not postponing the surgery at all. I scheduled it for Feb 4, right in the middle of my last semester of grad school for a reason. My health is more important. My doctor does not recommend waiting but said it is my decision.

I'm not waiting. They can take their job and shove it I guess. I love my job, love my clients, etc and I do a good job. If they want to have the hassle of hiring, screening, background checking, training, and dealing with a new employee...knock yourself out.

I think the main reason is they think I'm gone in May anyway because once I graduate I'm overqualified for my job. I wasn't planning on leaving but I know they've expressed concern that I might several times.

Either way.... my family needs me to be healthy...my paycheck can be replaced.
Unread 01-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjez View Post
my health is more important than any job & i dont want to work for someone who is going to treat me like that
This is exactly how I feel. Why would I fight to stay at a place that would treat an employee that way? I don't want to give them my loyalty and respect when they can't do the same for me.
Unread 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Good, I'm glad you're able to do that. I suspect even if you waited they'd fire you anyway when you were out-----I have no faith in that type of employer. I hope you find a better job post op. Good luck.
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this on top of your health issues. I was terminated "without cause" exactly two weeks after returning from my surgery. I even had the Davinci and was only out for 4 weeks. Needless to say, I've retained an attorney. Not exactly what I wanted to deal with during my recovery.

Good luck and I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Befrazzled View Post
So I heard back from my boss today...

If I have my surgery I will lose my job.

Unreal

I lost my job almost 2 Years ago when I had my Endometrial Ablation. I actually worked IN THE HOSPITAL that the surgery occurred in! I couldn't get back to work quickly enough, and I wasn't in my position long enough (about a year & a half) to get Medical Leave. It was a NIGHTMARE. I carry the Health Insurance for my family (my husband is self-employed). They called me on my Birthday (while I was still in bed, recovering) to tell me I was fired. ANYWAY ... the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) CALLED ME about 6 months later, to tell me that THEY are suing my former employer, that they SHOULD NOT have fired me, and there are about 7 of us that are a part of this suit. It hasn't occurred yet, so I don't know what the result will be. But, keep the faith. Take the Unemployment (I've been on it for almost 2 years now), contact your local EEOC, have your NEEDED surgery, and GET WELL SOON!!! Best Wishes, Tammy
Unread 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Unemployment can be a bit tricky. Depending on your state, you may have to be physically capable of performing the essential duties of your job. If you are in a job that requires heavy lifting, etc., you may not be able to get it right away, or at least until your doc says you can do your job without restrictions, or maybe with accommodation, etc. And then your previous employer might fight it. Check with your unemployment office for particulars...
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM

If unemployment doesn't work, you may qualify for short or long term disability. I do not know the laws on this but when I got sick the second time and was in hospital my boss called to ask if I needed it-luckily no-but it was an option. I think there is a waiting period of a few weeks or so-check with state on that. Sorry you are having to deal with this. And you are right, your health is first then a job.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register