10 Days to go and losing it! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 Days to go and losing it! 10 Days to go and losing it!

Unread 04-12-2004, 07:04 AM
10 Days to go and losing it!

Good morning, Ladies! I am 10 days to go and SO SCARED! I don't know what happened to me, I was so gung-** and ready, and now all of a sudden it is like I took 20 steps back and I am in a panic. I can't sleep, don't want to eat, I feel like I want to jump in the car and just drive as far as I can in the other direction, and run away!
I am scared of everything!
Can I ask some questions? They are really dumb but they just run through my head 24/7!
Once you get home, how do you get up and down without breaking stitches? I know you have hundreds of internal stitches inside, how do you get off the couch, or out of bed without breaking those stitches? Also how do you keep the incision from splitting? I have read about that too!
I am severely anemic so the breaking and bleeding really really scares me, I will be afraid to sit on the toilet for fear I will break something!
Also I am really scared of the breathing tube, I read where they waited until you are awake to take it out and you gag and choke...why can't they take it out while you are asleep?
I'm not sure if I can do this.......
sorry to be such a baby!

S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2004, 07:24 AM

Good Morning 39
Deep Breath now....good.

Breathing tube....it is normally taken out while you are still asleep. At least it's always been that way for me. The only reason for leaving it in, is if you're not breathing on your own (such as in open heart surgery)

As for the stitches...I just had a lap about 6 weeks ago, and they used internal dissolving stitches to close my incisions. One of the stitches had a little knot sticking out, so I decided to pull on it (Dumb thing to do I know ) They are in there tight!!!! After about 5 weeks I was able to pull on it, and it came out. It's really thick...kinda like fishing line. Bottom line is....they're not gonna break unless you do something really silly!!!!

I think my incision is going to be stapled on the outside, so it would be pretty tough to dislodge those.

Sweetie, have faith that the doc knows what he/she is doing. They know that the incision is in a place that will take lots of stress with coughing, sneezing, moving, etc. They will ensure that it is stitched up tight and won't come apart.

take care.
Tam
Unread 04-12-2004, 07:55 AM

Thank you, see I told you I was a big baby!
I don't know why I am getting so crazy! I am just all over the place! But thanks so much for calming me down!

S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2004, 07:57 AM

You are not a big baby silly! You're a woman with thoughts, feelings, emotions, and fears.
This is understandable considering what you are going through.

We are all here for support hon, and I only hope that you would do the same for me if I was freaking out!

You're going to be ok. We all are.

Tam
Unread 04-12-2004, 08:29 AM

I think you are pefectly normal.
Although I don't know if I am. My visit to the castle is in two weeks.
I'm a mess and so is my house although I have tried to clean but can't concentrate on one thing at a time.
DH is having surgery on the 23rd for a hole in his ear, everytime I bring up my surgery he brings up his.
I know he was joking but the other day he said he wishes there was a website for people who are having ear surgerys. His is elective and I know all hospital visits are scarey but he will be able to drive, shop, walk etc...
I guess that is normal to want to talk about yourself but at this point I feel like his surgery is minor compared to the journey I have ahead of me.
I only want him to listen.
Then I wonder if his surgery would be a good enough excuse to cancel mine...So I can take care of him. Hmmm...
Anyway, Good Luck and I will be thinking of you!
You sound Normal to me.
Unread 04-12-2004, 08:54 AM

We have the same surgery date and I am having the same feelings as you. Last night I started thinking about it and almost freaked out. Poor Dh didn't know what was going on.

The feelings are very normal and I'm sure we'll both go thru them some more before this is all over. You are not being a baby.

As far as the stitches go, from past experiences, you will not break them by moving or getting up from the couch or bed. They are made of very heavy thread and are not that easy to break.

Re/the breathing tube, I've never had them take a tube out when I am awake. They usually do this right after surgery, while you are still asleep. If they do remove it when you are awake, just ask the nurse for something to help you relax. I'm sure they will accomodate you as best they can.

Relax and remember that we are here for you!

~Leslie~
Unread 04-12-2004, 08:57 AM

Hi S and Gals ,
I was terrified as well ...It all went well for me ...I do not remember any tube coming out ......
Getting up and down : I did this slow and easy ...rolling to my side , then using my arms to push myself up( practice a little now)
then you will get the hang of it ...same getting up from a sitting position , use your arms ( slow and easy).Sitting on the toilet was tough lol but again slow and use your arms ...Also , the nurses in the hospital can really help with suggestions on all this ....the little pillow on the belly went everywhere with me , even getting up and down it helps to hold it close ..

I felt the same as you , wondering why i am even doing this ...It was scheduled way back in Sept , i had anemia issues and they found out i had a rh type antibody in my blood , i was really freaking out then lol ( i ended up donating my own blood)
...I sure know now why i had to do this .....I am feeling so good , and no more periods, no more pain , no more diarhea ( bowels had endo on them )
I am almost 8 weeks post-op, i feel good now ....
i wish you all the good luck in the world !
Unread 04-12-2004, 09:03 AM
39!!

I am the day b4 you and losing my mind. A week ago I was so calm and ready - had a bad weekend with bad pain, and still freaking out big time.

I am normally not this way at all. Am keeping busy - but unable to sleep well last night and eat much.

SO - I have put in a call to the doc for something for anxiety - at their recommendation and of course the sisters. I have never had anything like this b4 (the anti-anxiety pills) but right now I am sweating and my handsd are shaky, and I am afraid I will work myself into a non-healthy tizzy b4 the surgery. I want to be as strong as possible for the surgery. Hopefully, they can give me something to help me...

I wasn't nearly this nervous (by 1/20) b4 the bar exam!!
Unread 04-12-2004, 11:01 AM
You are going to be just fine!

I know exactly what you are going through. I had a meltdown about ten days ago. Trust me, you need to do this. It helps. I just started crying and telling my grown son and my husband how scared I was of everything, from the surgery itself, the pain, the stitches, the entire thing! One I had this release, I have been better able to cope. My surgery is this Friday, and pre-op is today. I am a little nervous but this is part of the process. I have been told by several woman that the first two weeks are the hardest. Once you get beyond that, it isn't too bad. This is only a temporary part of the rest of our lives. We will heal and we will move on. Good luck to you and keep the faith!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register